Cabela's in Cheek.

hunter49

I went yesterday. First off- its the best outdoors store we have around here. Not lightspeed ahead of gander and perhaps a touch behind Bass Pro (and I am not a bass pro guy). It was the lamest of the cabelas ive seen though(having been to CT, PA, Vi, Mi). Really a setback form what I was used to and hoping for. Prices were high and the selection low. I asked 5 different people for gunpowder and i might as well asked for the secret to cold fusion. Gun selection was good but not as anticipated (again).Was blown away by the crowd especially for a select invite amount. That place was stuffed with people. Many were sightsee-ers. 22s were the big thing- after that it was all over the board. This is not to stir the pot- but I saw at least a dozen crossbows leave in the first hour. Anyone who says they wont be a big part of deer season is off base IMO. Maybe one compound left in that time.

Maybe the new Victor super BPS will be the answer. DOubt F&S is, think Gander is dying but not sure it will hit the small town shops as bad as they fear as the drive to the big city doesnt offer a ton more.

Wow. I have been a customer of Cableas for over 20 years and have had their credit card for about 12 years or so. I haven't received one thing in the mail about this store opening, no flyer or any discount postcard of any kind. I have purchased thousands of dollars in merchandise over the years. I thought the store opened later this week.

I have only been to the Hartford store so I can't compare their other stores.

Honestly, I wish Cabelas had stayed out of New York. Now we have to pay more tax $ on things we enjoy doing!!!!

• Like 1

I thought opening day was the 7th this Thursday? U get in early for being a cabelas credit card holder?

Sunday night was employees and family.  Last night was contractors, local clubs, fireman, LEO. Wednesday is for Visa Card holders. Thursday is opening to the public.

I went last night, it was jammed with people, too many for me.  I wanted a new set of microtex duds and they didn't have any, at least the employee I flagged down couldn't find them.  No problem.........I'll get them at some point.

Maybe spent 90 minutes there, talked to some friends I haven't seen in a while. 

I'm happy to see them in town.

Wow. I have been a customer of Cableas for over 20 years and have had their credit card for about 12 years or so. I haven't received one thing in the mail about this store opening, no flyer or any discount postcard of any kind. I have purchased thousands of dollars in merchandise over the years. I thought the store opened later this week.

I have only been to the Hartford store so I can't compare their other stores.

Honestly, I wish Cabelas had stayed out of New York. Now we have to pay more tax $ on things we enjoy doing!!!!

Seriously?

Johnstown and you're looking for a discount card, flyer or an invitation?  OK................

I bet if the new Cabela's was in your backyard you'd be singing a different tune.

I went yesterday. First off- its the best outdoors store we have around here. Not lightspeed ahead of gander and perhaps a touch behind Bass Pro (and I am not a bass pro guy). It was the lamest of the cabelas ive seen though(having been to CT, PA, Vi, Mi). Really a setback form what I was used to and hoping for. Prices were high and the selection low. I asked 5 different people for gunpowder and i might as well asked for the secret to cold fusion. Gun selection was good but not as anticipated (again).Was blown away by the crowd especially for a select invite amount. That place was stuffed with people. Many were sightsee-ers. 22s were the big thing- after that it was all over the board. This is not to stir the pot- but I saw at least a dozen crossbows leave in the first hour. Anyone who says they wont be a big part of deer season is off base IMO. Maybe one compound left in that time.

Maybe the new Victor super BPS will be the answer. DOubt F&S is, think Gander is dying but not sure it will hit the small town shops as bad as they fear as the drive to the big city doesnt offer a ton more.

Not light speed ahead of Gander Mountain?  You have REALLY  got to be kidding me.

From the get go, Cabela's has said that this store would NOT be a mega store like what you are used to.  Did you miss that in the news over the past year and a half?

You been to Gander Mountain and tried to find a used gun?  YOU CAN'T because the SUCK AZZ.  They think guns belong behind the counter, 10' from your prying eyes.    Oh, you want to handle a used OR new gun? Take a number....we'll be with you shortly.

Go to the Gun Center for gun powder.

I call BS on your eye witness account of the "dozen crossbows leave in the first hour" and "maybe one compound left in that time".  You spent an hour watching the checkout?

Have a good time at Bass ProShop..............................

• Like 1

Pretty sure cabelas is too large of a store to carry gunpowder in nys. I think there is a law or something that states it can't be sold in a store larger then 10,000 sq feet or somewhere near that

Sunday night was employees and family. Last night was contractors, local clubs, fireman, LEO. Wednesday is for Visa Card holders. Thursday is opening to the public.

I went last night, it was jammed with people, too many for me. I wanted a new set of microtex duds and they didn't have any, at least the employee I flagged down couldn't find them. No problem.........I'll get them at some point.

Maybe spent 90 minutes there, talked to some friends I haven't seen in a while.

I'm happy to see them in town.

Thanks, that's what I thought... I'm a broke a$& grad student anyhow, just gonna cruise the isles tomorrow n see what they have for later... Maybe pick up a hand warmer (sheath) if they have it...

I swung by cabelas at around 3pm today and it was a mad house the entire parking lot was full they had it open for visa card holders today there were 4 guys in chairs waiting for it to.open tomorrow one of the radio stations today said to try and avoid Walden and the 90 around cabelas tomorrow

Stopped over there today and was very pleased with the selection and availability of products. My Dad was looking at a Stack On cabinet and we started talking with a Liberty rep and next thing you know my Dad decides to purchase a 12 gun liberty safe and the rep hands him a 25.00 gift card and says enjoy the rest of the day. The bigger safes were on sale, so he tossed us the gift card because the smaller one wasn't.

On a side note it seems like some clothes are mis-marked for price....My wife picked up a new fleece marked 79.99 and it rand up 49.99.