Shooting near major roads

Elmo

I could see it happening. I remember, a few years back, watching a huge buck dart across Rt 17. First he stopped a a 5 ft. wire fence and was looking behind him. He was obviously being pushed by hunters. He jumped the fence and ran like he was in an open field, straight across all 4 lanes of busy traffic. He made it to the other side but it was close.

I wouldn't let it dictate your hunting completely. I think keeping an open mind and being aware of such a scenario is noble. You can do the best you can, and that's it.

I've hunted along interstate 95 at one point with a 7mm Rem mag....if you travel I90 or any major roadway in gun season, you can see the army along the roads. With as many that do, you hear very little reports of such instances. They do happen, let's not kid ourselves, but the odds are so low that it would seem impractical to let it dictate your decision to even hunt there to begin with.

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

as long as the noise doesnt bother you and you do not shoot across them they can be very productive places to hunt, as the deer near them are usually left alone as most hunters advoid the area, same reason big bucks lay right behind a farmers barn or near the dog house...the noise doesnt bother them amd the hunters avoid those areas as too close to the house/animals... deer are quick learners and find that safe spot and will use it time and time again

For years I had a stand in a tree that was about 5' off the ROW fence to 390. was a very productive stand because the fence acted just like a funnel. being that close made sure all my shots were away from the road. Noisy but it was a great stand to hop in quickly for an evening hunt. Plus the noise masked my approach and any of my movements.

• Like 1