Hunting with a Bicycle

rj23nyr

I'm gonna be hunting on state land this year.  Bikes are legal on the trails.  I want to try biking a mile from my truck and then walking off trail to a few hunting spots.  Is this crazy or stupid?  I don't think it's illegal.  It would be helpful to save some time on the days where I want to sneak out before or after work.  Thanks guys.

I'm thinking it would go like this but I'm always open to suggestions.

- Make sure it's dead

- Tag it

- Ride the bike out, lock it in the bed and the bow/gun in the truck.

- Jog back

- Haul the deer out

It would be a pain when I get something but great for all the times I don't.

Sometimes there's a bit of suffering involved if you really want to be around the bigger deer. I've been known to hunt swamps with a small/tiny canoe. Half paddle and half drag for extended distances. It's not always fun, but it makes for great memories and great stories.

Almost anything that will get you where others fear to tread is a good thing.

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted.

• Like 1

1 mile is not that far to walk.  I like to go into the woods lugging around LESS, not MORE.  If you put something down, you will have to drag it out, and then have to walk another mile back just to get the bike.  Believe me, dragging a deer for a mile won't be fun, and it will be even less fun having to walk back to get the bike.  Biking is fun, but you can do it ANY time of the year.  In my opinion one doesn't need a bike to hunt.  Things will be easier without it.

Used to do in some of the public land spots in Florida that were vast pieces of property (60,000 acres) used to ride the levee's and swamp buggy trails ... When we killed one , u gut it , put the cavity over the handle bars and seat so it's " riding" the bike per say... Get a little basket for the rack to rest in up front and a book rack for the rear end so it doesn't ride the back tire .. Put stand on ur back and push the deer out on the bike no sweat ... Did it with hogs too ! No round trips , no dragging !

• Like 1

I'm gonna be hunting on state land this year.  Bikes are legal on the trails.  I want to try biking a mile from my truck and then walking off trail to a few hunting spots.  Is this crazy or stupid?  I don't think it's illegal.  It would be helpful to save some time on the days where I want to sneak out before or after work.  Thanks guys.

did this at darien once. Parked over by the fields where the pheasent are and biked in quite a ways deeper than anyone dare hike. I had some good action. I did use a climber and throw in a bow and it's a bulky set up. I did not lock the bike either. The trick is to keep a cart in your truck and just realize you've got a decent hike for retrial (something most of us wouldn't mind :) ). I had a trek mountain bike that was really good off the main paths.

Used to do in some of the public land spots in Florida that were vast pieces of property (60,000 acres) used to ride the levee's and swamp buggy trails ... When we killed one , u gut it , put the cavity over the handle bars and seat so it's " riding" the bike per say... Get a little basket for the rack to rest in up front and a book rack for the rear end so it doesn't ride the back tire .. Put stand on ur back and push the deer out on the bike no sweat ... Did it with hogs too ! No round trips , no dragging !

Oh man, I'd really like to see that in action.  That's almost like sitting a 100+ lbs human who don't know how to ride on the seat while you try to balance him and push the bike at the same time.  And maybe over uneven terrain.  Don't sound too easy to me.  Dragging can be a pain, but balancing a carcass on bike doesn't sound like a great alternative.

1 mile is not that far to walk.  I like to go into the woods lugging around LESS, not MORE.  If you put something down, you will have to drag it out, and then have to walk another mile back just to get the bike.  Believe me, dragging a deer for a mile won't be fun, and it will be even less fun having to walk back to get the bike.  Biking is fun, but you can do it ANY time of the year.  In my opinion one doesn't need a bike to hunt.  Things will be easier without it.

no it's not a long distance but when you're trying for less walking/sweating and to sleep another 20 min. a slow pedal on the bike will keep the stink away. $100 for a decent cart and the haul isn't so bad.

• Like 1