Hunting with a Bicycle

rj23nyr

no it's not a long distance but when you're trying for less walking/sweating and to sleep another 20 min. a slow pedal on the bike will keep the stink away. $100 for a decent cart and the haul isn't so bad.

I have a decent amount of experience with bikes.  I know I would produce LESS body sweat climbing a decent sized hill on foot, than I would on a bike.  To climb a hill in a lower gear you are cranking at a good pace, yet not going very fast.  You can pace yourself a whole lot better on foot to prevent yourself from sweating, most especially with hunting clothes on.   

I have a decent amount of experience with bikes.  I know I would produce LESS body sweat climbing a decent sized hill on foot, than I would on a bike.  To climb a hill in a lower gear you are cranking at a good pace, yet not going very fast.  You can pace yourself a whole lot better on foot to prevent yourself from sweating, most especially with hunting clothes on.   

fair point. my terrain was pretty flat. hills could get bad i agree.

Oh man, I'd really like to see that in action. That's almost like sitting a 100+ lbs human who don't know how to ride on the seat while you try to balance him and push the bike at the same time. And maybe over uneven terrain. Don't sound too easy to me. Dragging can be a pain, but balancing a carcass on bike doesn't sound like a great alternative.

Pretty simple , a 4th grader could do it :). Handle bars fit into the chest cavity n the seat goes up in the cavity by the hind end... Fits on the bike like a glove .... Once you get the bike upright with the deer on it , no biggy to push n balance .... Beats taking two n three trips when ur game cart is with ya already , did it lots a times ...

Pretty simple , a 4th grader could do it :). Handle bars fit into the chest cavity n the seat goes up in the cavity by the hind end... Fits on the bike like a glove .... Once you get the bike upright with the deer on it , no biggy to push n balance .... Beats taking two n three trips when ur game cart is with ya already , did it lots a times ...

That's how sissies would do it.  The only manly way on a bike, is how this fella does it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-Q7DBA6jc

I think if i was to do it i'd find a way to tow my game cart in on a rope. Maybe use it to carry the climber too. Then if I bagged a deer i'd walk out with the bike strapped to the top of the game cart. I know my trek doesn't weigh anything. I think most of this really only works on relatively wide and flat trails though.

Now they have things like the quiet Kat. When we used bikes we did walk them up hills. But getting into the spot that was in general a lower elevation was way faster. Heck my brother left a camp chair and some other gear at the far end. I parked on private land and hiked in to get it to be closer and it still took all afternoon. If you're not going up hill much from point a to b, bikes save a lot of energy.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I just came across this thread. I was thinking of starting my own bicycle hunting thread but since this one is already started I thought I would give it a bump,

I was doing a lot of mountain bike riding in 2010. Even rode from Meachem (sp?) Lake to the access road just North of Loon Lake & back. Came across a BIG black bear in the trail on the side of Debar Mtn. Really exciting. I yelled a bear, a bear, a bear, to my wife who was following behind.

I stated seeing bear scat on the bicycle trails so I decided to use the bike for hunting access. The way I looked at it, was that the access would be faster & since it was low percentage of success situation anyway, making several trips on a bicycle for access would still be "cost effective" as far as effort & definitely a time saver

A few times I went miles back into the Hays Brook area going as far as the Sheep Meadows area.

Here are some PX from my hunt. I camped in my 24' travel trailer at Mountain Pond for a week.

This 1st one is taken @ the camp on Mountain Pond.

DSC02173.jpg

This one was taken about 1/2 way back to sheep Meadows along the trail.

VZ500ObendorfMauser008.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie

Why not hunt the mile in instead of biking it? Other than a little exercise I don't see the benefit of using the bike. Especially if you get a deer... you're going to ride out then jog back in? Sorry, I just don't get it. But, to each his own... if you think it'll be fun.. then that's what you ought to do.

• Like 2

I've posted the solution to this earlier on in the thread... Used to do it all the time hunting in FL swamps .... Dress the deer , seat goes in cavity , shoulders over the handle bars with the head resting in a basket , Little book rack looking thing on the back for the hind end to rest on , strap er down n walk em out .... Transportation and game cart in one , of course FL land was relatively flat and had levy systems/roads running throughout the land to drag the deer to then much easier to wheel em out .... I've been contemplating resurrecting this technique for Darien Lake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This would work for early season very well.If I were to shoot a deer I would quarter and put in my backpack.This would also be a great way to scout on state land where motorized vehicles are not allowed

This would work for early season very well.If I were to shoot a deer I would quarter and put in my backpack.This would also be a great way to scout on state land where motorized vehicles are not allowed

This coming season I'm going to spend a little n get the raptor razor big game skinner... Can quarter a deer in under 15 with it and a basic straight edge n then pack em out... Tired of walking 2 miles back to get the dam cart...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not hunt the mile in instead of biking it? Other than a little exercise I don't see the benefit of using the bike. Especially if you get a deer... you're going to ride out then jog back in? Sorry, I just don't get it. But, to each his own... if you think it'll be fun.. then that's what you ought to do.

I said "miles", not mile. About 4 miles back & I was Bear hunting. What took me 30 minutes on the bike would have taken hours walking. The bicycle allowed me to explore a lot more territory than would have been practical on foot. Not like I was going to go put & shoot a bear on every outing. If I had shot a bear I would have had to have gotten a cart or assistance anyway, on foot or on a bike. On the bike I could have gotten assistance faster. (no cell coverage in that area)

A horse would have been ideal.

On the way in there were 2 short hills that required pushing the bike. On the way out I could peddle all the way.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I know I replied to this thread last year, but I still fail to see any advantages to hunting with a bike.  You guys must be hunting some very flat terrain, because if you were riding  on anything a bit more hilly you would see the DISADVANTAGES.  Riding in low gear on a steep hill with a gun and backpack on your back, you wouldn't be moving much faster than if you were walking.  And it's not like you are riding on a paved surface.  Plus, I'd just love to see someone quarter up a deer and ride out with it on their back.  Easier said than done.  I can assure you it would be WAY easier to do that on foot than on a bike.