Farmers/permit's

Dom

How does the state decide who should get nucense permits for deer harvest?Also if they do grant them permission do they have to have and hold a current hunting license?Last of all with said permits can they shoot any deer or just the Doe's?

Yes sir that was the info I was looking for thankyou.I ask this because a local farm where we have been watching the deer grow all summer the Buck's that my wife had been seeing are gone,I think they may have been killed.I do not believe they have turned nocturnal but that is also a possible conclusion.

Not every permit is antlerless only.The landowner/farmer does not have to hold a hunting license but any shooter on the permit must have one.

Any antlered deer taken on an either sex permit must be surrendered to the DEC within 24 hours of taking.

Guess how many sets of antlers most shooters turn in?..............

Nuisance permits and dmaps are two differant things . For Dmaps it doe only two per hunter used in the season following the laws. Our farm gets 30 or so these and are given out two each to hunters on the farm.

Nuisance permits are for damage control and used out of season mostly before the season . There are often doe only as well. We get single numbers of these. Both you have to show them how much land you own along with the damage,how many hunters you have,how many deer you kill each year .

If the big bucks are gone its one of two things one their patterns change this time of year,and two a lot of big bucks are poached prior to and during bow season.

• Like 2

i would say their pattern changed, my neighbor to the south of me has bucks in velvet from may till mid july, then they move 3/4 of a mile to my property for end of july august sept oct...then they really scatter and can be found on both properties as well as new random bucks making appearances

Well tell me what is the problem? What is out in the fields eating the profit 24/7 ?

Well yes it's population control and a very small part,both of the permits I mentioned account for 2% of the deer take so it's a very small part .

To be honest I don't use doe permits because the farm gets dmaps ,so there are more permits in the system for everyone in the zone to get and use. When friends come hunt with me and they don't have tags for our area I can give them dmaps, more then a few guys took does hunting with me that otherwise could not. I'd give you two.

I see benefit for many here.

• Like 2

Yes sir that was the info I was looking for thankyou.I ask this because a local farm where we have been watching the deer grow all summer the Buck's that my wife had been seeing are gone,I think they may have been killed.I do not believe they have turned nocturnal but that is also a possible conclusion.

Dom --- The Deer Damage Permits that I have seen are for ANTERLESS deer only . That is stated right on page 1 of the Complaint REcord and Permit Form .

I have never seen any where allowing the shooting of bucks . If the bucks have been killed , they have probably been poached .

The farmers are responsible for the control of the permits and the reporting . Many of these Deer Damage Permits are from January thru September . The permit is void when the crop has been harvested .

I would think that the info on the Complaint Record and Permit Form that is put out by the DEC would be standard .

I was on one issued to an airport...........was pretty much 24/7 year round and allowed taking of bucks and does (antlers had to be turned in). It could very well be that ones issued to Farms are pretty standard, but there are different types issued for different reasons.

Edited by jjb4900

If I remember correctly, on Long Island there are farms that people can nuissance hunt 24/7 and they can take bucks too.  But from a conversation I had with a DEC guy, they are not supposed to take big bucks. But even then I think in certain situations big bucks can be taken, like if they are destroying nursery trees by rubbing.

When you consider the various scenarios that could make a buck or bucks disappear all of a sudden the list is long.

Nuissance killed, other deer nuissance killed and buck leaves the area, other sport hunters hanging stands all over the property, hit by a car, etc.  I have a couple spots that I've hunted over the years where I've wondered what the heck was up with the peice. Like it used to be good and now the deer numbers are much less. You never know.  Just gotta take it as it comes and just hunt.

I used nuisance permits only once when things were really bad. Usually the DMAPS are adequate. Farmers may be reluctant to let hunters know they are killing does. I have encountered some hostility. I was told I was "killing the brood stock". However, I am not in the business of breeding deer. 

DEC is all too happy to give out Nuisance permits. The farmer needs to control how many deer get shot. 

Not true. For any damage permits, there is a process that the DEC puts the farmer through to approve them. DMAPs are a little easier to get, but for DDPs, they come out and do a pretty intensive survey of crop damage, etc.

The only DDPs I have ever seen that allow bucks to be taken are given to nurseries and christmas tree farmers. They do not exclude "big bucks" either.

• Like 2

DDP's like WNYBuckHunter states they(division of Wildlife) go out and do a survey to assess the extent of the crop damage. They don't just hand them out like candy although can be a little lenient at times. Some permits have conditions... I worked for NYSDEC out of college as a seasonal in environmental permits until last year and often would go out with the division of wildlife who hands out these permits. 

• Like 1

Nuisance permits are issu ed to farmers who can verify the damage caused by deer. They are only allowed to be used out of season for does only. The farmers that have substantiated financial losss because of the deer herd can usually get party permits from the DEC to use during the hunting season provided they still have nuisance permits unused.. So if a farmer was given 10 nuisance permits and only five were used by hunting season, then the farmer could get 5 doe permits to use during the season. Bottomline the farmer has substaniated 1000's of dollars worth of loss to justify a particular number of nuisance permits to only be used to harvest doe's out of season.

Not true. For any damage permits, there is a process that the DEC puts the farmer through to approve them. DMAPs are a little easier to get, but for DDPs, they come out and do a pretty intensive survey of crop damage, etc.

The only DDPs I have ever seen that allow bucks to be taken are given to nurseries and christmas tree farmers. They do not exclude "big bucks" either.

any tree farm or even orchards may get the DDP''s for antlered deer. The rubbing damage is what triggers the antlered permits. I hunted one nursery and their DDP's were for either sex but the antlered option was tied to the rubbing damage. One year=$75,000 in losses just due to rubbing.

• Like 1