2014 Hunting NY Archery Harvest thread

WNYBuckHunter

I sat watching all the turkeys wakeing around me...learned alot this morning...was trying to decide whether to shoot one when they dropped down when I heard foot steps behind me...checked the watch and it was just 6:58  I got the bow ready and in slipped a rack....to my rt...perfect...I'm lft handed.... he was moving through the trees and I was following him with the scope at around 17 yards a turkey putted in the trees and he stopped..I squeezed off the shot and he took two bounds and stopped to look around...dang I thought I missed! then his knees went together and the hip swayed...he tried a wobbly walk but 20yrds after the hit he tipped over...it was a perfect hit...I actually tried to recock the bow but it wouldn't catch???I have to check it out later...I was going to sit and see what the turkeys did...they weren't upset until I started gathering gear to leave then what a racket..lol great morning and out of old faithful stand...all it took was a corn cutting to put them back on track...OMG he stinks...all rutted up...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 33

post-659-0-99913200-1415592713_thumb.jpgpost-659-0-27719200-1415592772_thumb.jpgpost-659-0-80456200-1415592824_thumb.jpgpost-659-0-41768400-1415592853_thumb.jpgpost-659-0-09168300-1415592913_thumb.jpgWell archery season has come to a close for me. Tonight was my last bow hunt of the year. With a packed schedule between work and personal and knowing I was not going to get out again before leaving for camp Friday for the gun opener weekend. So I decided what ever presented the perfect opportunity I would take. It has been a long and slow archery season for me. Did not see a whole lot of deer and or action. My trail camera's said else wise hence the reason I was holding out till the end but just did not connect. Perhaps during the gun season. Either way he came in at 4:00pm giving me a perfect 15yd broadside shot. Drilled him through the heart ran about 60yds and expired. Nice little basket 8pt. Exciting hunt, no tracking, easy drag, freezer stocked, & a fine memory of the hunt what its all about. No trophy for the wall but a memorable one :)

• Like 18

28804c9a551702872d7bfec87d735465.jpg

Went into this sit after a big 8 with a tall caramel rack which was to be my last sit for bow.... Saw 2 other bucks and a doe n 2 fawns ... Didn't see the big 8 n was about to call it quits n hit the can a few times , couple minutes later here he comes trottin to me nose to the ground trying to figure out where his girl is... Not the biggest I've seen from the stand but he'll do ... Been a tough bow season for me , saw a lot of deer but for one reason or another never came together... Hadn't gotten my usual doe this year so I'm happy to have some meat in the freezer! Big boys need watch out next Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 17

post-469-0-88252300-1415627610_thumb.jpg

Got this six pointer Saturday morning at 11am.  Drove through the night from Long Island for a one-day hunt.  Had a doe come right to me at 7:30, passed.  Saw a few more deer in the distance around 9am; and a bunch of turkeys.  Then, this guy came up the main trail headed toward the corn.  If he turns left, he'll come right to me.  He turns right.  I let an arrow go and miss low- I guessed 30 yards, he was 36.  He jumps into the hedge row and mills around for a few minutes.  He then crosses the main trail and heads in my direction along a rub line I'm set up over.  I knocked another arrow.  He gives me a broadside chance at about 30 yards and I let it fly.  Felt like a good shot.  But, the deer doesn't react at all.  He stood still for a few seconds.  At this point, I'm confused.  I was pretty sure I made a decent shot.  He starts to turn back and head slowly down the ridge.  I knock a third arrow and notice his rear end starts to dip a bit- not sure if he was gonna pee in a scrape or just tip over.  He gives me a quartering away shot at 40 yards and I let the arrow fly.  WHAM, the arrow sticks in the back shoulder and the deer jumps in the air.  Waited a few minutes and tracked him about 75 yards and jump him- find a pool of blood and my second bloody arrow.  Back out and wait another half hour, track another 75 yards and find him piled up.  Best part was that he ran almost directly back to my truck.  Never heard of a deer sticking around to take a second arrow.  This was only my third time hunting my new land and I couldn't be more thrilled with the action so far.  Turns out that the first arrow was a decent hit, just a few inches back.  The second shot stuck in the back shoulder and was laying in the blood pool at the spot where I jumped him.

Edited by virgil
  • Like 14

shot this mature doe Saturday at 1pm, walking to the blind we see a small basket 6 bedded 40 yards away knock an arrow he takes off. get to my blind to see a spike and a 4 point sparring it out for about 5 mins while a doe sat there and watched. I spooked them away so I could get into my blind. not 30 minutes later this doe and another smaller one come into 20 yards to feed on a small food plot I have, waited for what seemed like an hour for her to turn broadside but she never did. took a shot as she was quartering toward me whack saw her jump and the arrow exit a little back, thought it was a good hit cuz she was wobbling and moving very slow. waited an hour and went to see what kind of blood and what arrow looked like, I had good blood on the arrow and ground. I tracked her about 50 yards from where I shot and kicked her up out of her bed she was moving super slow so I knew she wasn't going far, kicked her up a second time and this time I backed out to wait a little longer and get my bow. at 4 I went back in at the last place I kicked her up with my buddy, we walk about 30 yards to see her bedded on property line, had to knock another arrow and finish her off before I lost her for good, second arrow did the trick, turns out my first arrow hit a little far back and broke the hip upon exiting. first kill with the bow and I got a little doe fever can't wait to get out there and take down a buck now.

post-4751-0-86475400-1415634389_thumb.jp

• Like 13

Harvested this Buck last Friday (11/7) in Steuben County.

Got in the Stand around 5:30 a.m., it was 28 degrees and raining, it continued to rain til about 8 a.m. then it turned to snow. Had a couple smaller Bucks and some small deer pass by throughout the morning so I decided to stay in the stand til 11 a.m. At 11, let my Bow down and started packing up when I noticed this Buck coming straight at me. Quickly pulled my Bow up and nocked an arrow, by this time he was passing under my tree. He stopped at less than 10 yards, I drew and released my arrow. I heard a "whack" and off he bolted across the field. I watched him go into the neighbors woods about 200 yards away at a dead run, never slowing down. When I got down, I found that my arrow had snapped off with about 8" still in the deer. My buddy and I headed down and got some lunch, came back about 1 p.m. to the location where I saw the deer go in. We found a couple thumbnail size drops of blood and then we came to the property line. I called the neighbor and thankfully, he gave me permission to pursue. After another 100 yards of following minimal blood and scuff marks, the blood started spraying out! Another 50 yards or so and there he was piled up. Never found the arrow but, apparently when it dislodged it allowed the blood to come out. I hit him right behind the front shoulder and the broadhead appeared to hit the opposite side shoulder as there was no exit wound. I took him to the Butcher on Saturday and when I got back to Virginia on Sunday, I get a call from the Butcher informing me the deer must have been hit by a car recently because it was infected from front to back and was a total waste. Ugh...was looking forward to some Venison Tenderloin & Burger...and lots of it!

post-1933-0-42649800-1415734506_thumb.jp

post-1933-0-00601700-1415734527_thumb.jp

• Like 20

I had one last hunt Tuesday morning.  I only had until 9am because my wife had to go to work.  I have not been seeing any deer movement this season until last Sunday.  I am in 3m .  A 3 inch spike came through at 6:30 and I just couldnt do it.   Once he left I hit the estrus call and a buck came trotting in.  I thought he was a 6, decided to take him.  Ended up being a basket 8 point.  A bad shot turned lucky when it hit his spine and he dropped.  Needed a second arrow, but he expired inside 2 minutes.  Got the whole kill on video with  a smartphone mount on my bow!  Pretty cool experience, I cant stop watching the video.  If I can figure out how to post a video I will post it.  

IMG_0028.jpg

Edited by Single Pin
  • Like 13

Shot this 4 pointer yesterday at 445. My first thought was it was a vital hit so tracking in the dark won't be too bad...boy was I wrong. I found the arrow about 15 ft into the woods that he ran into and snapped off around 6 inches from the tip of the broadhead. It had some bright red blood and hair. Good sign! I searched the woods for him until around 930 pm and finally had to call it a night when I found only 4 drops of blood. So I continued today in the morning and still after another 3 hours of searching I can only find 4 drops and I started to think I may have just wounded him. I started to do a grid search in small sections closest to the last blood drop and another hour and I found him. Turned out to be a double lung shot that stuck into the right shoulder and that's why the arrow didn't pass through and broke off when he ran. The arrow shaft pretty much plugged the entry and that's why the blood was so hard too find. First deer with a bow for my first bow season ever and I'm stoked it ended up not being a bad shot! 6ac9c8e1b49988ddee578108839bac8c.jpg

• Like 16

I had shot this one at my cabin on Friday outside of Olean around 8 that morning. He had first came in around 20 yards but got spooked off by me. I then grunted at him where he came back around 35-40 yards out and took the shot. He had ran about 600 yards or so where I eventually retrieved him. And he is the first deer taken off of the property too!!post-1632-0-88088900-1416110307_thumb.jp

Edited by dirt_a_KISS
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

I just realized that I posted in Live From the Stand thread instead of this one, so I'll just copy and paste it if that's ok.

Got it done last night with the bow in 1C. It seems like the second rut is in full swing down here on the Island. I scouted the area yesterday morning and I found plenty of new rubs in the woods as well as a few new scrapes. Even though it is a last light spot, I did get in a little later than I would have liked. I almost thought about bailing out as I was kicking up deer on the way in. I'm glad I didn't. It seemed liked everything was moving a little earlier last night. The weather was perfect. Very light NE winds, cold, and some flurries. Shortly after getting settled in, I had 4 does come in. The biggest one was no dummy. There was another stand about 50 yards from that someone left in the area. She came in with her head up looking for someone in it that wasn't there. Then she appeared to be checking every other tree in the area. I thought to myself, she's a smart one and needs to go. Unfortunately, she never gave me a shot. After they moved off, I also saw a 4 point with his nose to the ground, then he stopped to freshen up a scrape. He got a pass. Had 5 more does come in as it was getting dark as well as seeing a few more moving around in the thickets. Then a solid 8 with some decent mass appeared on the edge of the clearing about 60 yards out. He stood there for a few minutes checking out the area. Then just as I was losing light, he made a beeline towards me and the scrape. At 32 yards he went broadside, and I let one fly. Found my arrow and it looked good, but I decided to back out anyway and come back with a good light after dinner. I was literally on my hands and knees trying to get through blow downs and thorny thickets following his blood trail. He only went about 100 yards with a double lung hit. Not my best buck, but def my biggest this late in the season and a really good one for the area I was in, considering all of the pressure that is there earlier in the season.

post-4978-0-98953800-1419163286_thumb.jp

post-4978-0-61069900-1419163316_thumb.jp

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 9