Should I go into the woods at the last minute?

regulat0r

My wife does shift work and leaves the house at 6pm. She is not feeling well today and asked if I can help her get ready for work and see her off. Clearly this kills my chances of an afternoon hunt. However, I do have a stand behind the tree line of my backyard. If I am dressed w my gear and see her off at 6, I can literally be in my stand at 6:05. I've noticed the deer don't move back there until just before 7. Should I hunt the stand? I only hunt on weekends so even if I did spook a deer getting in I wouldn't hunt again until next weekend or I could just hunt one of my other spots next weekend. I know it's not an ideal situation but I want to take every opportunity I have. What do you guys think?

I have a stand right behind the house..and have done that many times...I have to be very careful of the time though...right now my season legally ends at 6:44pm....I check my times before leaving every day...and set my phone timer for those times to vibrate.

Good Luck

And sunset for me is at 6:30 so be sure to always check the times for the area you will be hunting. not sure if i wouldrather the early 15 minutes in the a.m or the longer 15 minutes in the p.m

She is not feeling well and going to work at 6:00. I would watch the end of some football games and attend to your wife. It will pay off later in the season when you need to be out there. I think in the long run you're just going to piss off a sick wife on her way to work.  Don'y want to be you when she gets home!

She is not feeling well and going to work at 6:00. I would watch the end of some football games and attend to your wife. It will pay off later in the season when you need to be out there. I think in the long run you're just going to piss off a sick wife on her way to work.  Don'y want to be you when she gets home!

go overboard with it to and make subtle point of it 

sounds like you need to pick up a bottle of Nyquil and climb up the nearest tree, kidding, wife come first atleast until Oct 1st

consider yourself lucky you can just go to your backyard, my camp is nearly 2 hrs away meanwhile there are more deer than people in my development

I have a food plots out in the woods about 200 yds behind my back door and get deer on my trailcams on and off all day long. The idea of having to be out 1/2 hour before lite is something I don't go by much anymore. My cams show deer coming and going at 10:30, noon time, 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock anytime. Idea is you don't wanna spook them going in but you have a greater chance of doing that in the dark anyway, at least in day lite you can walk to your stand slowly and see if deer are in the area.