Bow Practice

fasteddie

There is a problem with summertime practice. There are so many things that need doing. Heck, I haven't even had a chance to do much fishing. The summer chores swallow up so much time. However, I usually start some fairly intense practice in August. Usually the lawn starts slowing up with the growing and things begin to get more under control.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tore down my old archery back stop made from bales of hay wired tightly together, what a mess, on top of that a couple of snakes living in it made me come out of my shoes and scream like a woman.

Got my new target frame all painted up and targets attached to the frame, started to rain so I did not get a chance to shoot and break it in, maybe tomorrow. The rifle-handgun range will be next up to get into shape.

Time to throw some lead.

Al

• Like 3

I got out and did a little shooting this morning on the new archery target, used the SAS Long Bow and assorted weight practice arrows at 30 yards. The first seven at least hit the target, I am no Jennifer Delaney for sure but I had fun and I really like the long bow, it will lay them in there half way decent with the right arrows I think.

Al

2023-08-14_124109.png

• Like 3

I'll tell you one thing that is raising hob with my archery and gun shooting. It is pretty darn hard to settle that sight pin down on the bulls-eye when you have that constant whine of mosquito-wings in your ear, or mosquitos drilling into your hide. Its no better for gun shooting accuracy either. It seems that nearly every night there is a significant train, as well as rain through the day. Those skeeters just love all this great jungle climate and are having a breeding frenzy....Constantly. We don't even dry out anymore.

• Like 2

Shot a few more shots today, this time I had my Bushnell rangefinder to measure my distances, I exaggerated on the 30 yards posted above, only 26 according to the Bushnell.

Worked on the firearms range later setting up some new targets, when I put them in years ago I just paced them off and that was good enough. Checking distances with the rangefinder I had set them up too far. My 25 yard target measure 27 yards, my 50 yard target measured 59 yards and the old 100 yard target measured 113 yards. Not a big deal but I made sure the new 100 yard target was 100 yards.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I started shooting this weekend, and will shoot every day until season. My groupings are fine out to 30 yards with both field points and broadheads, so it's mostly about building muscle memory.

I'm also trying to become more comfortable with a Hoyt RX5 Ultra that I bought two years ago. Jesse from Drape's Outdoors solved one issue for me - the fletching was hitting the cable if the arrows weren't rotated precisely at one angle. I couldn't figure out what was going on, and it was killing me with inconsistency, particularly with broadheads. He shimmed the cams for me, moved the rest out just a smidge, and now it's perfect. We will see what the deer think.

• Like 2

Watching that video above of those Boys knocking down pigeons  with those Oneida Bows inspired me to get out my old Oneida AeroForce lever bow and sling a few myself. Instinctive with fingers is the way I use this vintage baby, arrows are old Easton XX75s aluminums, it was fun but the skeeters were out bad and drove me back in the house LOL!

2023-08-29_182801.png

2023-08-29_182858.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

I waxed the string on my Crossbow recently ... does that count ?  LOL

I dialed in both of mine from the back deck last Saturday .   My CP sniper printed a 2” (3) shot group at 60 yards, so I think I’m good to go for the early antlerless season on September 9.

I have one stand that is about 300-450 ft from a row of mobile homes, so I got to use a crossbow there (250 ft setback  requirement per the NY state rulebook vs 500 ft for a gun or ML).  

The sniper is damn front-heavy though, so I’ll most likely use my use my Barnett Recruit, which had an effective range of just 40 yards.  It’s quite thick back behind those trailers, so that’s about as far as I could shoot there anyhow.  I moved the stand to a new spot, 20 yards from a well used deer trail on Sunday.

I have not shot my bow since crossbows were legalized in 2014.  Prior to that, archery season kills accounted for a much smaller percentage of our venison supply, even though the season was much longer than the two weeks we get for crossbow.  It’s great to have all that extra “free time”, for other tasks, and still end up with more meat.  

Another thing I like about the crossbows, is the “unloading” practice shot I get into a rag bag, fafter every hunt.  It’s always a good confidence builder for the next hunt, when that strikes on the mark.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I am going to be getting up to crossbow speed shortly, I picked up one of those Excaliburs that I have not shot much that I want to get at once I get done messing around with other equipment. One thing for sure it is a heck of a lot different than my Bows.

Al