Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

Good luck to all of you out there chasing deer.  I can’t until the weekend. My wife sent me a picture this morning of our driveway and side yard. Guess what? 

7 M.     SNOW!!!!!!!!!
I almost hunted down in 7m this AM too, decided to sleep in and go fishing today. I do love bowhunting in snow!

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Tell me it wasn't number1?
No it wasn't, this was on state land so I know of a few real nice bucks around but never really planned on hunting those bucks. This is my doe spot typically, my leases are for bucks and man we're there some dandies all over my cams today. I'm now vowing to not shoot a buck until Halloween next year.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, First-light said:

Missed another Doe tonight. Right after that another Doe comes up with a buck 10 yards behind her. Locked on. He was a decent 8 but they turned and went out of shooting range. 

Burt, I think one could feed all the worlds hungry people with all the deer you've missed over the years.  LOL

• Haha 1

Missed another Doe tonight. Right after that another Doe comes up with a buck 10 yards behind her. Locked on. He was a decent 8 but they turned and went out of shooting range. 
I'm not being condescending here but... Have you tried to figure out why all of the missing? Missing 3 deer completely in a row would make me quit until I figured out what on earth was going on? Is it the bow? Can you shoot good at a target? How far are the shots you're taking?

Illinois trip is very disappointing. None of us 4 have had a shot yet. I finally saw 2 decent bucks yesterday morning n the jungle behind my stand. Other guys saw a couple here and there.  They guy who has the leases and who we paid took off back to New York on Monday. Showed us additional stands before he left. None of the stands are maintained and zero trimming or shooting lanes for at least 4-5 years. One guy in our group had 3 stands with broken straps. Not cool. My heart breaks for my nephew. This was his dream hunt and booked it through a good friend he trusted. He is here too…he hunted other areas and killed a marginal 2.5 yr old 10 pt.  NOT what you come here for. The lack of basic maintenance and unsafe stands is what soured me. This is set up for crossbow and shotgun seasons now. The property owner killed a beauty Sunday. Crossbow shot at 72 yards!!  

We are gonna bail on this hunt overnight and get back for the weekend. Ill take hunting my 200 acres at home over this anytime. Trips like this make you appreciate what we have back home. May not be 140-170 inch deer in each wood lot …but i will take it any day. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Illinois trip is very disappointing. None of us 4 have had a shot yet. I finally saw 2 decent bucks yesterday morning n the jungle behind my stand. Other guys saw a couple here and there.  They guy who has the leases and who we paid took off back to New York on Monday. Showed us additional stands before he left. None of the stands are maintained and zero trimming or shooting lanes for at least 4-5 years. One guy in our group had 3 stands with broken straps. Not cool. My heart breaks for my nephew. This was his dream hunt and booked it through a good friend he trusted. He is here too…he hunted other areas and killed a marginal 2.5 yr old 10 pt.  NOT what you come here for. The lack of basic maintenance and unsafe stands is what soured me. This is set up for crossbow and shotgun seasons now. The property owner killed a beauty Sunday. Crossbow shot at 72 yards!!  

We are gonna bail on this hunt overnight and get back for the weekend. Ill take hunting my 200 acres at home over this anytime. Trips like this make you appreciate what we have back home. May not be 140-170 inch deer in each wood lot …but i will take it any day. 

Sorry to hear the trip was a bust. Been there done that a couple times over the years with my uncle who is no longer alive. He was my hunting partner from the time I was 16 until he passed a few years ago.

Your trip sounds like a bear hunt we took to Quebec. A total screw job!!

I understand how we can feel worse for those close to us than for ourselves.  Maybe you guys will get another chance to realize that dream. I hope you do! 

9 hours ago, chrisw said:

I'm not being condescending here but... Have you tried to figure out why all of the missing? Missing 3 deer completely in a row would make me quit until I figured out what on earth was going on? Is it the bow? Can you shoot good at a target? How far are the shots you're taking?

Chris I shot today at the house dead on 10, 20 no problem. I have shot my share of big deer with the bow but most within 15 yards. Don't worry crossbow comes out Saturday morning. 

• Like 1