Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

11 hours ago, First-light said:

Good deal! I really hope full inclusion happens next year. Go to your doctor and fill out the form. Buddy's father down the road shot a dandy with xbow. He is disabled and I just loved he got the deer. Congrats and good luck with shoulder. Last night was my first with Xbow. 

I doubt we will ever see full inclusion, given the political dysfunction in Albany, however the new disability permit that the DEC came out with this year has effectively circumvented that mess for anyone who wants it.  I have not heard of anyone being denied that permit, after they get a doctors signature on the form, and the turnaround has not taken more than a week in any case. 

One thing that it looks like you have experienced, and I certainly have, is the much greater efficiency of the crossbow, compared to the vertical bow, when it comes to wounded and lost versus recovered deer.  

That is no coincidence, but rather is a direct result of the elimination of the need for a “fast draw” motion with a deer in close.  That fast motion very often puts a deer into a state of high alert, which always results in “string jump” and causes bad hits.  Those are facts that are irrefutable. 

NYBH has big problems with that. Just wait till the  member or two on this site chime in here. I personally owe them a big thanks.  Without their strong political opposition to full inclusion and the allowance of this far more efficient weapon on October 1, we’d have never had the early September gun season in my area, and there would likely be a lot less meat in my freezer.  

I might not get that form signed next year, even though my high blood pressure is a valid excuse.  I’m just looking for the easiest way to get meat and my rifle, shotgun, and ML all trump the crossbow in that respect.  

I have easy access to to the northern zone, where I can use any of those in mid October at least.  The deer hunting wasn’t so hot up there this year though, so I do think I’ll get that crossbow form signed next year.  It’s nice to have “options”. 

Edited by wolc123

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I doubt we will ever see full inclusion, given the political dysfunction in Albany, however the new disability permit that the DEC came out with this year has effectively circumvented that mess for anyone who wants it.  I have not heard of anyone being denied that permit, after they get a doctors signature on the form, and the turnaround has not taken more than a week in any case. 

One thing that it looks like you have experienced, and I certainly have, is the much greater efficiency of the crossbow, compared to the vertical bow, when it comes to wounded and lost versus recovered deer.  

That is no coincidence, but rather is a direct result of the elimination of the need for a “fast draw” motion with a deer in close.  That fast motion very often puts a deer into a state of high alert, which always results in “string jump” and causes bad hits.  Those are facts that are irrefutable. 

NYBH has big problems with that. Just wait till the  member or two on this site chime in here. I personally owe them a big thanks.  Without their strong political opposition to full inclusion and the allowance of this far more efficient weapon on October 1, we’d have never had the early September gun season in my area, and there would likely be a lot less meat in my freezer.  

I might not get that form signed next year, even though my high blood pressure is a valid excuse.  I’m just looking for the easiest way to get meat and my rifle, shotgun, and ML all trump the crossbow in that respect.  

I have easy access to to the northern zone, where I can use any of those in mid October at least.  The deer hunting wasn’t so hot up there this year though, so I do think I’ll get that crossbow form signed next year.  It’s nice to have “options”. 

Totally get what your saying. The problem I have with the crossbow is that  it is heavy and I recommend a sling. It is a bit awkward being that it is cocked all the time. This is my first year and I know I'll figure out all these things. 

• Like 1

Family obligations kept me out of the woods until the last 2 hours today. Then when I went to a different spot on my property for the first time this year,  I found it so overgrown with multi flora rose I got shredded to pieces.

Won’t go back there until I can take my tractor and brush hog to it to seek revenge! 
I did walk up on one deer and watched it jump up and run, but was so quick I couldn’t tell what exactly.  

I am going to try and post a pic on the thread for trail cameras here in a minute. I have older, cheap cameras by todays standards so not likely as good as the fancy ones, but one of my scrapes has several little bucks working it, and one buck with a broken rack that has a huge body and I wanted to share the pic of the tank. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

One screw up after another this morning.  Fingers and toes are so cold the feel like fire and ache.  Wrong boots and gloves! These metal stands can be a real bitch when they get cold! 

I hear ya.

As age creeps up on me, the heated socks and gloves seem like a worth while investment. Just don't know what to buy.

• Like 1

Things seem to be picking up a little in 6g/ 6k. I heard Alot of shots today and had a spike 8 yrds in front of me. Hunting from the ground today that was Alot of fun. Also had a coyote pass by but didn't get a shot off. Seen a doe while still hunting my way back to the truck . A coworker who I was supposed to meet for lunch dropped a 10pt just a few miles away.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

• Like 1