Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

Heading up to the hill shortly going to try a mid day sit from 10-2. I've never specifically targeted these hrs but I have heard lots of hunters who swear by them. I'm guessing one reason why would be all the hunters getting up from a early morning sit are pushing them around. If no luck I'll come out for lunch and then go to another spot for the last cpl hrs of light. Good luck to all those out.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Shot the oy deer I saw yesterday, a medium sized doe. Normally I would pass on the thing, but spent so much time in stand it was after 3PM I felt like I had to make a move otherwise I would regret it. Have family obligations so cannot get out for the next week. When I was field dressing in the parking area another hunter came by and expressed regret that both he and his GF had passed on her in the morning and they hadn't seen anything since. One of those days I guess.

288719.jpeg

signal-2023-11-18-16-05-42-637.jpg

• Like 5

Went out for a couple of hours this morning and as Yogi Berra would say it was Deja vu all over, an almost exact copy of yesterday's morning hunt. The squirrels were active (saw a Black One) just a smallish Doe was seen feeding, and in comes the Turkey mob raising all kind of Cain, and the Deer takes off into the thick stuff tail up. I leave for home and went and picked up another load of hay.  GroundHog Day!:rofl:

Al

• Like 3

A friend of my son had asked him if we would take him deer hunting some day. His friend Danny had never been deer hunting and wanted to get a deer. We took Danny out this morning with us. It was his first time deer hunting and my son put him in a 2 man ground blind with him to teach him. In the first hour Danny was able to bag a big doe. The joy and exhilaration Danny displayed was priceless. My son taught him how to field dress a deer and we helped drag her out. Take a new hunter hunting with you when you can. We couldn't be happier for him.

IMG_20231119_113500.jpg

• Like 16

21 minutes ago, CharlieNY said:

A friend of my son had asked him if we would take him deer hunting some day. His friend Danny had never been deer hunting and wanted to get a deer. We took Danny out this morning with us. It was his first time deer hunting and my son put him in a 2 man ground blind with him to teach him. In the first hour Danny was able to bag a big doe. The joy and exhilaration Danny displayed was priceless. My son taught him how to field dress a deer and we helped drag her out. Take a new hunter hunting with you when you can. We couldn't be happier for him.

IMG_20231119_113500.jpg

Awesomeness.  Huge Girl !!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CharlieNY said:

IMG_20231119_113500.jpg

Congrats to Danny ! That's a Biggie ! 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

This old stand served me well in the Bowles of Letchworth State Park.  Good news is I only lost the lock out of the deal as it pinched between the tree’s.  

IMG_7005.jpeg

IMG_7004.jpeg

IMG_7003.jpeg

I’ve had a few stands end up that way over the years from my leaving them up.  And seeing your stand on the ground,  the same thought goes through my mind. Thank God nobody was in it! 

Great to hear the stand wasn’t ruined, and nobody hurt.   

Only deer seen today was a small doe on my way out this morning, and tonight at 4:05 an equally small spike buck. His spikes were pushing the 3 inch mark, if not a bit longer. He was browsing along the mowed trails in my blackberry patches and kept looking up at something, but whatever he was watching never showed up.

Tonight with the weather, it felt much more like the last day of muzzle loader than the second day of regular season.

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 1

Saw two big doe in our large cut grass field this am, then a small fork walked up to my tree and ate some apples then walked off. Then two fawns run up to my stand and grazed a little. About half hour later a buck came down their trail but didn't come over the property line. Then another bugger buck did the same thing. Then I heard shots on my neighbor's land lol. Bunch of shots so hopefully he missed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Shot this Doe yesterday morning. I saw 12 in all. Some real big ones with fawns in tow. Last three that came by I took the Mom. One fawn ran off the othered stayed. She kept walking back to me and the dead deer. At one point she came within 20 feet. After the third attempt I threw a stick at her and ran a few feet after her. She got the message and left. 

75640326-7C71-4264-BE4E-1F264CB2B703_1_105_c.jpeg

0D791F68-D888-4F97-B476-DAA2C44E769A_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 7

Yes it was cold this morning. I started out in the spot where there are 6 different scrapes, and have multiple bucks on camera there. With the exception of the big body broken rack buck, the rest are all little fellas. I didn't last long there because I'm just not comfortable hunting close to my neighbors line.

I was set up at the stone wall that is my property line, and facing into my land so any shot I took would go into my property and not his.  In all my years have never hunted that close for fear a deer might run on him instead on me. I also worried this morning with all the deer up there, if someone on his side didn't play by the same rules they might be shooting right at me. So I pulled the plug and moved further down my hill. Saw deer zero this morning.

Came down and took care of chickens and some chores, then 2 /12 hours brush hogging. Time to get back out there for a chilly but pretty afternoon.

I sat in my half house on stilts overlooking the mowed areas I did today. Clearing the dry goldenrod and brush with dull brush hog, a tired tractor, and even older and more tired tractor driver was a chore, but really opened things up. The only deer tonight though was a big fat doe with her two fawns. Easy shots but can't bring myself to do it. They really like browsing those trails between my blackberries. I saw something I had never seen before in all my years hunting. One of the fawns I'm guessing was a little buck, because he once mounted his mother like he was trying to breed her. lol    Must be a 7M thing!