What caused this

luberhill

11 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

We took a doe like this with her hind quarters  sliced open. Infection had set in and the meat had turn green. 

I would use my buck tag , if given the chance.

I used my one buck tag already , I have another but can’t use it until gun season

Barbed wire fence is my guess because I've seen it happen just like that. I didn't see the buck actually do it , but the fresh wound looked very similar to that and still bleeding on the cam vid . The next day we found hair and hide hanging from a barbed wire fence and a blood trail heading towards the camera that was about 100 yards from the fence . No doubt it was the fence and the wound looked was just like this one. A long slice . 

Seen others that had long slices down their backs that were probably was running under the fence and bounded upwards and caught a barb and sliced them.

7 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Looks to me like a shot from an elevated position at a deer walking away from the shooter. People do take to really awful shots. But no matter what the cause, we can all agree that is a nasty wound! I doubt that deer will avoid getting infected and dying.

You would be surprised NYH . Seen one big Doe that had a 2 ft slice about 8 inches down from her spine . The gap in the middle was close to 8 inches wide . took her about 5 months to heal up. But she was fine with a long scar .  They are tough. Thats for sure. 

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

So I just did a HD photo .. note the slice looks like it goes all the way up his nose 

IMG_3511.png

Good catch.I didn't notice it before. This makes me even more convinced, if you look at a downward trajectory from an elevated stand. Deer walking away from the hunter, shot impacted just above the shoulder and opened the hide as it continued it's path forward and downward across its face and muzzle/nose. Picture laying an arrow (or bolt) along the straight marked line on the muzzle/nose back to the other end of the wound over the shoulder. The big fold of hide at the bottom is from the weight of the hide and gravity causing it to sag.

23 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Good catch.I didn't notice it before. This makes me even more convinced, if you look at a downward trajectory from an elevated stand. Deer walking away from the hunter, shot impacted just above the shoulder and opened the hide as it continued it's path forward and downward across its face and muzzle/nose. Picture laying an arrow (or bolt) along the straight marked line on the muzzle/nose back to the other end of the wound over the shoulder. The big fold of hide at the bottom is from the weight of the hide and gravity causing it to sag.

Yea dam… if I see him I’m taking him out .. problem will be I don’t have a buck tag until gun season .

Wonder if DEC will give me a pass due to its suffering