What Do You Add To Your Venison Burger?

I never add anything to it before freezing (especially pork) because fat don’t freeze and gives it an off flavor, after 3-4 months, even if vacuum sealed. 

I do add some egg, to help keep venison burgers bound up, on the grill.  One time, my wife stuffed a few raw ones with crumbled bacon and blue cheese, left them on the fridge a day to bind up, then cooked them medium rare in the air fryer.  They were phenomenal:

8BED5D7F-EA56-4F26-A36D-7A70B10E0697.thumb.jpeg.82471bf38c73b4587f38690f64333900.jpeg

I’ll have to try and get her to do that again someday.  Plain old straight ground venison works best for most of what she makes.  We just finished a meal of our kids favorite: tacos.  My personal favorite is her stuffed cabbage.  Spaghetti with meat sauce is very good too, as is stuffed peppers and chile.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

Any bulk grinding I do is generally 1lb pork butt to 9 lb. venison.   

Family loves LEM hot Italian Sauage mix, so the majority of meet is seasoned that way.

Smaller batches of breakfast sausage same ratio.

Any grind for jerky is straight venison.

Edited by JJBat150

2 hours ago, JJBat150 said:

Any bulk grinding I do is generally 1lb pork butt to 9 lb. venison.   

Family loves LEM hot Italian Sauage mix, so the majority of meet is seasoned that way.

Smaller batches of breakfast sausage same ratio.

Any grind for jerky is straight venison.

My brother in law raises grass fed beef cattle.  He makes lots of jerky from grind.  It’s by far the best, when he uses a 50:50 beef:venison mix.  Straight beef is way too oily and straight venison is way too dry.  

I still had almost two deer left in the freezer, when I started hunting this year, and I have added (2) more since.  I might have enough grind to last my wife, daughters and I for a year, but I’m mostly hunting for my brother in law now.  

That jerky he makes is so good that I’m going to keep hunting, in full brown-down mode every chance I can up to January 1, or I run out of tags.  

I still have (5) tags, but not much free daylight time, until the Holiday ML season.  I took that whole week off of work, so I’ll have plenty of time then. I just booked a couple days at my buddy’s southern tier camp near the tail end of that week.  He has lots of standing corn, and a doe infestation.  If I have any tags left by then, it shouldn’t be too hard to get them punched down there. 

18 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I never add anything to it before freezing (especially pork) because fat don’t freeze and gives it an off flavor, after 3-4 months, even if vacuum sealed. 

I do add some egg, to help keep venison burgers bound up, on the grill.  One time, my wife stuffed a few raw ones with crumbled bacon and blue cheese, left them on the fridge a day to bind up, then cooked them medium rare in the air fryer.  They were phenomenal:

8BED5D7F-EA56-4F26-A36D-7A70B10E0697.thumb.jpeg.82471bf38c73b4587f38690f64333900.jpeg

I’ll have to try and get her to do that again someday.  Plain old straight ground venison works best for most of what she makes.  We just finished a meal of our kids favorite: tacos.  My personal favorite is her stuffed cabbage.  Spaghetti with meat sauce is very good too, as is stuffed peppers and chile.  

Those burgers look great! I’m coming to your house for dinner.