NY just banned hunting competitions

WNYBuckHunter

From the article, "The legislation excludes contests for hunting white-tailed deer, turkeys and bears, as well as fishing contests, which are carefully regulated by the state."

Aren't coyotes "carefully regulated by the state" as well?

What's wrong with a yote contest during yote season? 

What's wrong with a prize for the heaviest yote taken?

Seems to me the state wants to protect yotes and increase their numbers.  Why do you suppose the state would do that?

Am I surprised? Not in the least, every single animal rights-anti hunting group is affiliated and embedded in the Democratic party's politics and platform. They are not just looking to end hunting contests, they want to shut down hunting period and are working hard at it every day and successfully chipping away.

Al

• Like 1

Here we go again. Yet another ill conceived action to piss people off. If you go by the NY definition of "hunting",

"To hunt—means to pursue, shoot, kill, or capture
(other than trap) wildlife and includes all lesser
acts that disturb or worry wildlife, whether or not
they result in taking"

and apply it to this new legislation,

"The new law makes it unlawful for an individual to organize, sponsor, conduct, promote or participate in any contest, competition, tournament or derby with the objective of taking or hunting wildlife for prizes, inducement or entertainment."

doesn't it also put the screws to field trials? I raised, hunted, and trialed beagles for many years, and we were always on the look out or anticipating his kind of thing. It looks like it has arrived.

Oh  I know. There will be those out there ready to say it's just another conspiracy theory.

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 1

How I interpret this law, game carefully regulated by the state is excluded. The definition  of " game carefully regulated by the state",  is the error on the side of caution here.  I would want several lawyers that are not afraid of fighting the state, backup on this. 

Now,  will this law be challenged in the courts? To be overturned?

You will get the usual "ho hum" complacency from most of the hunting community, The "I don't do hunting contests so this law does not effect me." There will be a day coming when these knuckleheads will wake up to what hunting they have in Europe or worse and will have only themselves to blame. It has already taken hold in California.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

From the article, "The legislation excludes contests for hunting white-tailed deer, turkeys and bears, as well as fishing contests, which are carefully regulated by the state."

Seems to me the state wants to protect yotes and increase their numbers.  Why do you suppose the state would do that?

She is bowing down to the anti-hunting crowd. It won’t be the last of it. Mark my words. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

She is bowing down to the anti-hunting crowd. It won’t be the last of it. Mark my words. 

There are many bills each legislative session that are introduced and some make it past committee for floor votes. So you are correct, this law wont be the last.

Eventually they’ll whittle around the edges of hunting its inevitable. 

Theres a few efforts to limit even personal possession of certain trophies, similar to California. I expect that to pass at some point .Big five, and assorted others species including giraffe/hippo/some antelope have been written and in committee several times in addition to other big cats from around the world. The only thing thats stopped current efforts is the importation hub at JFK and writing a comprehensive enough bill that regulates transiting through there versus remaining in NY and thats a Federal jurisdiction.

And general deer hunters wont care about any of that either as it wont affect them, no surprise there.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2023 at 2:12 AM, Grouse said:

Possible answers to the above question:

Those in charge of such things are eager to find alternatives to hunting....Any alternatives. The inclusion and proliferation of coyotes, or any predator provides assistance in that goal of not relying on hunting so much for animal population control. It helps anti-hunter forces.

You have to wonder if even the DEC isn't starting to be concerned over the inability of hunters to control deer populations as our numbers and our intensity fades year after year. So those things that would cut coyote numbers may be seen as counter-productive to future population control of the growing deer population problem.

Just some random thoughts and possibilities regarding Grouse's question of why coyotes seem to enjoy a special protected status among all wildlife.

• Like 1

Understand that these idiots that are constantly passing bills such as this are not in their positions of power by accident. They are people that we elect either through ignorant direct voting or not bothering to vote at all. This state didn't get to be the National joke that it is without the willing help of the states voters.

The nation itself has become a joke around the world for the very same reasons you point out.  Watching the country implode, as our enemies sit back, wait, and watch and hope for us  destroy ourselves until they can come in a pick up the pieces.  In my opinion;  all Americans better wake up, see the writing on the wall, and unite before it’s too late. The United States of America. 

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Understand that these idiots that are constantly passing bills such as this are not in their positions of power by accident. They are people that we elect either through ignorant direct voting or not bothering to vote at all. This state didn't get to be the National joke that it is without the willing help of the states voters.