Confronted my fear of heights last night

Doc

Well, you know things are getting a bit desperate when I finally resort to climbing into the trees. I have a stand in what appears to be a very active area. I built it several years ago before the great "heights thing" took over. It is a 4' x 4' platform attached to two monstrous willow trees (each about 2' in diameter). Held to the tree by 5/8" x 6" long galvanized lag bolts. All built out of 2" X 6" pressure treated and camo painted lumber for support beams (2), Topped off by another 2x4 floor joists with 3/4" pressure treated plywood.  Over that is rolled roofing. It was built to last a lifetime and be an integral part of the trees. It all looks as good today as it did the day it was built. I have railings all around, and a section of aluminum extension ladder that gets me up in there. You would say that there is no way that anyone could be bothered sitting in this massive indestructible structure. Well, I made it up to quitting time, but 90% of the time I never let go of those railings. I'm not sure I ever could have let go to get off a shot....lol.

That never was a problem because in spite of all the heavily mudded up trails full of tracks, and the perfect, steady light wind direction, nothing came through. But what a disgusting, debilitating, affliction this fear of heights (vertigo) is. My gosh, there is absolutely no way that I was going to fall out of there or that the platform would break, but I was just about as uncomfortable as one can get. It is a combination of light-headedness and a loss of balance. Like I said, I am not sure that I could even let go long enough to shoot if I had to. Just plain weird! What the heck causes this illogical and unexplainable reaction to being a mere 12' off the ground. Has anybody here ever cured themselves of it once they have gotten it?

I also have a fear of heights. Have somewhat conquered it . I have 2 15'ladder stands on my property which I use. I have a safety

rope on each and before I climb up I am attached by harness and stay attached until both feet are back on the ground. I don't think of

the height while on the stand because the fear of falling is not

there anymore. This helped me, maybe this will help you.

It is just mind over matter. If you don't mind it don't matter. Lol

Seriously though , I understand. Nothing worse than that shaky, heart in your throat feeling.

For me it is as simple as pushing through and concentrateing on other things.. I just finished a roof job 2 1/2 stories up. It was my 1st one in a few years and I was not a happy camper. I was 2 days working up there before my knees stopped shaking and I could level my heart rate out and catch my breath properly..Lol...

Three points of contact while using a lifeline and safety vest with a crevis knot that you slide up and down with you.. should help you gain confidence.   We have switched over to lifelines on all of our stands even ladders.  Not using one is not an option.    You get a lot of chances in life but a fall is likely one you will not get to attempt.

Edited by WesternNY

I used to be the same way and I still am to some extent. It's not the heights that gets to me any longer as I could scurry to the tree tops 60ft above if I had the right branch configuration. Sub-consciously in the back of my mind I'm always aware I'm standing on a 18"x24" platform when in a stand. As long as I don't need to stand and turn for a shot I'm ok, but as soon as I try to reposition my feet after I stand, it feels like I'm standing on a basketball if I'm not holding onto something,lol.

For that reason anything on the right hand side of my perch usually gets a pass. Yup, I wouldn't even be able to pull that shot off on a 200" buck at 10 yds to my right. It would only magnify the wobbly symptoms.

A great pratical and psychological aid is to add sturdy hand holds around the trunk for holding on and turning around with when in the stand. I use the Ameri step screw in foot holds for this purpose. It adds a ton of comfort and security to the whole affair.

I swing about like a chimp when looking round, once I have a couple of solid hand grips to hold onto.

Playground handles could work well there too

Sent from my LG-VS980

You mentioned light headedness and vertigo...do you some times get this by just getting out of bed or standing up..walking? Mr B started this several years ago..actually took him To ER...thought he was having a attack or stroke...inner ear problems..vertigo...he has to pressure flush his sinuses regularly to help keep it under control....don't ask...I haven't a clue..but it seems to work.
I feel for you...I can climb trees all day long...but get me on a roof and ask me to get down...it's horrible!!...wht. knuckled, sweating near paralyzed...just plain stupid...lol

Edited by growalot

I hate heights too. Even after skydiving 3 times I'm still not over it. I'm ok in a ladder stand. I'm very nervous in wooden stands and in my climber which I usually go up to 20 ft, it takes me about half hour up there to feel secure. I don't think I can even use a hang on stand even tho those are probably best

Well, you know things are getting a bit desperate when I finally resort to climbing into the trees. I have a stand in what appears to be a very active area. I built it several years ago before the great "heights thing" took over. It is a 4' x 4' platform attached to two monstrous willow trees (each about 2' in diameter). Held to the tree by 5/8" x 6" long galvanized lag bolts. All built out of 2" X 6" pressure treated and camo painted lumber for support beams (2), Topped off by another 2x4 floor joists with 3/4" pressure treated plywood. Over that is rolled roofing. It was built to last a lifetime and be an integral part of the trees. It all looks as good today as it did the day it was built. I have railings all around, and a section of aluminum extension ladder that gets me up in there. You would say that there is no way that anyone could be bothered sitting in this massive indestructible structure. Well, I made it up to quitting time, but 90% of the time I never let go of those railings. I'm not sure I ever could have let go to get off a shot....lol.

That never was a problem because in spite of all the heavily mudded up trails full of tracks, and the perfect, steady light wind direction, nothing came through. But what a disgusting, debilitating, affliction this fear of heights (vertigo) is. My gosh, there is absolutely no way that I was going to fall out of there or that the platform would break, but I was just about as uncomfortable as one can get. It is a combination of light-headedness and a loss of balance. Like I said, I am not sure that I could even let go long enough to shoot if I had to. Just plain weird! What the heck causes this illogical and unexplainable reaction to being a mere 12' off the ground. Has anybody here ever cured themselves of it once they have gotten it?

Doc were you using a harness? When I wear a harness I always feel a little safer, to the point where I can stand up and not be scared to lose my balance because I'm tied in

I used to have a bad fear of heights and edges particularly. I still have trouble going up on my roof. Ive conquered it with stands though, im up and down trees like a monkey anymore. Ladders, screw in steps, ladder sticks, doesnt matter to me. Just a few years ago i would get really nervous using screw in steps. It was mind over matter for me.

Agreed with the above, strap yourself in and make sure you feel safe, think of more security (additional rails, more handle bars around) when you feel safe you will get used to it and the fears will go away. I couldn't sit in 20ft double stand without strapping in, now I'm leaning over the rails with no harness....matter of time and practice I guess. For me feeling of safety was most important, see if it works for you.

I have a fear of heights too. I only use ladder stands because I still feel connected to Earth.. Lol

I started out using only 10 foot stands but have moved up to 15 and I'm fine. I take my time getting in,ALWAYS use a harness and use a line to raise and lower my weapon. The key for me is the harness.

You're all afraid of falling, not of heights. 

True vertigo, with the light headedness and where you don't have your balance is symptomatic of a medical issue and doesn't just happen when you're off the ground. If any of you are claustrophobic and you've been stuck in an elevator you know you're not running out of air in that MRI machine. 

You should see your doctor if its happening on the ground. 

When I was a kid I could not go over a bridge or get on a ferris wheel. 

I joined the Marines when I was 18. 

the age that my fear of falling was cured. 

4 years ago as I was climbing a ladder to help my nephew with something it slipped as I was throwing my leg onto the roof. 

3 fractured vertebrae , Braced for 6 months no bow hunting for 18 months. 

I'm still fine with climbing a ladder, my wife isn't 

I began using safety harnesses since my injury. 

Some very good advice ~ but if you didn't have a life altering situation I would check with the doctor why things have changed. I was in a accident and shattered my entire leg, didn't walk for a year but managed to return to my job as a ups driver after about 2yrs when they first had told me I probably would never be able to. I know my leg wouldn't survive another break and I'm not qualified at much else to make the kind of coin I do now from a desk job. So I'm borderline scared of heights now. There are stands on property that I won't go in when I know someone twice as heavy as me hunts out of them.It helps when I myself put up a stand adding a couple extra braces and tie downs. I'll even make my own safety harness out of several hundred pnd rope. It takes me awhile to relax in one but eventualy I do.

I had a borrowed harness, but that really didn't help any. I was sure to wear a harness because I am aware of what the symptoms are of vertigo. It's a balance thing and that sort of thing makes a harness more than just a luxury.....lol.

Actually "fear of heights" isn't exactly an accurate description of what is going on. There is no way that I was falling out of that stand. It was darn near impossible. So it wasn't even a fear of falling. It is indeed an equilibrium phenomenon. There is a feeling of loss of balance ability. It is a triggered response to a loss of connection to ground. I have the same reaction when going over a bridge. I can even get it when in a movie that is showing scenes of height. High-rise buildings even where I am completely enclosed and only a window to indicate height can trigger it. It doesn't happen when standing on the ground in the course of normal activity. So it isn't a physical thing. It has slowly snuck up on me over the years and doesn't look like something that is going to reverse itself. Hanging on to things like the railing of the stand definitely helps. It probably re-establishes contact with ground or something. It is the third point of stability. But it is really difficult to shoot a bow one handed ..... lol.

Knowone should be in a stand, if that person feels uncompable, for whatever the reason. No deer is worth a fall of serious injury or death! Stay on the ground, and think safety. We want everyone safe, so they can continue hunting and enjoying HuntingNY?com.

In thinking back, most of the deer we shoot are from the ground. I have trimmed the budget for tree stands, LOL.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

If you have vertigo , you should not be in a tree , regardless of the size of the platform , etc. My wife has vertigo , and when its bad she walks like she's drunk ( doesn't drink )  , having to lean on things for balance.  You need to see a dr. , could be inner ear problems or something medication will control.