Heading back this weekend... Any idea how it will be?

burmjohn

Heading back this weekend... Any idea how it will be?  From the guys I know in my area, it was really slow last week... Nearly no deer moving, etc...  I hope that changes this weekend, perhaps we can see a tickle rut or whatever they call it when there are a few unbread does running around.  It's going to be cold this weekend, so that has to help a bit.

Still can't decide if I should go up. I have 150lbs of venison in my neighbors freezer that I have to pick up. Have a nasty cold and can only hunt 3/4 the day Sat and Sunday morning? ??? ? 6 hr drive?? What to do??? I have a three day weekend for smokepole planned. My neighbor took two doe this week but still hasn't seen a buck? The moon will be right this weekend.

I think many people haven't seen too much movement in the first couple weeks of the season.  I also think it has been considerably more windy this season than any I can remember in recent years, and this surely doesn't help matters in the area I hunt.  I see very little movement on windy days.  It is supposed to be windy again this weekend so it sure isn't giving me much optimism.

The conditions certainly look alot better starting tomorrow, I'm thinking some walk n stalk may be in order after a morning sit.

I would think that this morning they're resting after a terrible couple of days of high wind/rain, and tomorrow they'll be back to their usual.

Acorns and hard woods seem to be the place to be this year.

I will be down to camp but I have mixed feeling. we had some heavy snow so that knocked most of the golden rod down...plus. Snow on the ground...plus. cold temps...plus. but that heavy snow and the cold temps will make still hunting rough and very crunchy...minus. new moon...plus. forcast of wind...minus. what does that mean...I have no freaking clue. But I am certain I can't get them from the couch. Good luck guys

Yeah I agree with upstate redneck.  the weather has sucked pretty much all through bow season and gun season so far.  The moon phase will hopefully help as will less pressure.  I'm planning on sitting for a few hours in the am and then walking throughout the day.  I have a dmp to fill if i dont see horns.     

If you read on many of the hunting sites you can take a poll and most of the success seemed to be around the second and third week of Nov. That would mean most of the bucks were doing their thing searching and chasing for does in heat.With that being said any of the does that werent bred will cycle again 30 days later.So the movement should start anytime now and the big boys should be on their feet soon if not already.

In our little corner of the state, one of the worst things imaginable has happened. That sloppy wet snow on Wednesday froze and like Culvercreek said, it froze and has turned to a loud, crunchy, mess that you simply can't walk on without broadcasting your arrival way ahead of you. Further, that is likely to stay that way unless it gets buried under a whole lot more snow. On these days that have no one out there moving deer around, when you take away the effectiveness of still-hunting, there aren't a whole lot of practical options left. The only thing I can think of is drives. I don't know what other parts of the state have this same noisey situation, but it will be a real handicap here for guys that still have tags to fill.

Doc

Wow, just checked looks like Snow Sat night into Sunday...

That's actually good news. If the crunchy snow can't be melted away and replaced with a quieter variety of snow, the next best thing is for it to be covered up with new snow .

Doc

Its so much about the area one hunts. My spot in 8H has been slow during gun yet a guy at the gym who hunts a suburb of Roch. (bow only) is seeing tons of deer and bucks running all over !!

I just got back from a camp in the Southern Tier took 1/2 hour on stand to drop a doe, the 25th deer taken at that camp this year .

We saw around 60 deer in fields on the way home between 12 noon and 1 o'clock .

They can't understand how I can't find a deer on the farm I hunt........