Road Hunters

Gthphtm

WHEN YOU LIVE IN A quiet rural area You Can Pick Them Up As They Are Driving Buy Your Property,Some are pickups with Glass packed mufflers or afrtermarket Dual exahust.That steady low rpm sound,And some in Cars,The passenger window is usally rolled down,And he is ready to shoot with his or her firearm or Now With A CROSSRIFLE,How the heck are you going to draw a Normal bow in a truck or car?.

How many have seen or heard this lately?.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove up on a truck parked on a village road a few years back, as i came around the bend i heard a boom and saw the puff of smoke come from the passenger side window. I stopped immediately and took down the license #. the truck took off. He killed a doe that lay on the hillside next to the road. I called the state police and the guy and his son were arrested later that day. The father was stupid enough to shoot across his sons lap from the drivers side out the passenger window.. what an idiot. The sons case was dismissed.. but the dad lost his hunting license for 5 years and paid a hefty fine.

That's a stereotypical anti-hunter piece of literature I've seen somewhere before.. It does happen, but these guys aren't hunters, they are poachers.. DEC has animated deer decoys they employ to get these guys.. They set up in a field that is easily viewed from the road, then watch vehicles slow, stop, and some, unfortunately will shoot the decoy.. I remember one of the officers quoted said some weren't so surprised at the arrest, but by their faces were surprised the deer took a solid hit & didn't drop.. I think the article was in the Conservationist..

Drove up on a truck parked on a village road a few years back, as i came around the bend i heard a boom and saw the puff of smoke come from the passenger side window. I stopped immediately and took down the license #. the truck took off. He killed a doe that lay on the hillside next to the road. I called the state police and the guy and his son were arrested later that day. The father was stupid enough to shoot across his sons lap from the drivers side out the passenger window.. what an idiot. The sons case was dismissed.. but the dad lost his hunting license for 5 years and paid a hefty fine.

sweet, your the man!!!! Ive got the DEC on cell phone speed dial can't wait to find some dill hole  with his rifle out the window.

A farmer on Gibsonville Road between Perry and Leicester told my father in law and myself that shooters used to do that on his road years ago . That's the only place I ever saw a DEC officer while hunting . The farmer said jerks would even run down deer with an old pickup truck where they crossed the road to get back into the park .

in my area 4r-4g  its a blue shortbox chevy 2wd with rims and a not too loud exhaust.  he usually fills his tag and his wifes out the window.  then he brags what a great buck hunter he is at all the local bars.  everyone knows he does it - no one can prove it.  I'm getting sick of it.  I think next year I might follow him around on thanksgiving cuz that seems to be his favorite poaching day.

It is a shame the DEC can not put out more of the remote control deer that they have.About 7 years ago they did it in one town we were hunting a nabbed quite a few people.Shooting across roads ,from or on the hood of cars and trucks.They even had video cameras set up.

Sorry but the ones I see coming down the road have a low rumble to the truck, could be why their road hunting. Can't afford to fix the truck or feed the family!

I dont know, an aftermarket exhaust usually costs more than a factory one.

Actually the after market ones are cheap.

Sorry but the ones I see coming down the road have a low rumble to the truck, could be why their road hunting. Can't afford to fix the truck or feed the family!

I dont know, an aftermarket exhaust usually costs more than a factory one.

Actually the after market ones are cheap.

If youre buying from Walmart maybe lol.

I don't think its aftermarket exhaust, I think its just a dirtbag who doesn't care about any thing like that. I laughed when I read that part because the guys that poached the buck I had hit with the bow had a low rumbly sounding conversion van, I am guessing it need some work and wasn't sounding that way on purpose. And do poachers actually buy a license? I don't see why they would, I mean if you are going to break some bigger laws why waste money on a tag?

That bothers me, But not as bad as the spotlighters. Saw a guy a few years ago doing it and followed him around for about an hour . He didn't have the nuts to stop. Wish he would have. My old man always said that they never got an experience a nice buck coming down a runway to them . To bad. Thats what its all about.

Whats wrong with spotlighting? As long as you are doing it legally, whats the problem? I spot deer all the time before season, I follow the rules and have fun doing it. Id tell you to go fly a kite if you pulled up and said anything to me about it.

Now if you are talking about spotlighting and shooting deer, thats a different story. Why wouldnt you call the guy's tag number in while you were following him?

I th

Whats wrong with spotlighting? As long as you are doing it legally, whats the problem? I spot deer all the time before season, I follow the rules and have fun doing it. Id tell you to go fly a kite if you pulled up and said anything to me about it.

Now if you are talking about spotlighting and shooting deer, thats a different story. Why wouldnt you call the guy's tag number in while you were following him?

I think it goes hand in hand with jacking deer and that's why it gets frowned upon. If you came by my fields spotlighting I'd be sure to come out and find out what you were doing and take down your tag number. You would be the first one reported back to the police if there was an incident during the year. Yes it is legal but that's just the way it goes, too many jerks out there that ruin it for the person just out having fun.

Thats like saying walking into the bank goes hand in hand with robberies. If you came out and wrote down my tag number while I was spotting, and later in the year some poacher came by and shot a deer in that field, you giving the police my tag number would do nothing. The police probably wouldnt even give me a call. I have been spotlighting for a long time, my dad used to do it when I was a kid. To us, its just fun to see whats out there and some of the largest racked bucks Ive ever seen in person were while I was spotting. I would never poach a deer or jacklight, and I would say that most people that spotlight wouldnt either, just like most people with aftermarket exhausts wouldnt poach deer from the road either.

Thats like saying walking into the bank goes hand in hand with robberies. If you came out and wrote down my tag number while I was spotting, and later in the year some poacher came by and shot a deer in that field, you giving the police my tag number would do nothing. The police probably wouldnt even give me a call. I have been spotlighting for a long time, my dad used to do it when I was a kid. To us, its just fun to see whats out there and some of the largest racked bucks Ive ever seen in person were while I was spotting. I would never poach a deer or jacklight, and I would say that most people that spotlight wouldnt either, just like most people with aftermarket exhausts wouldnt poach deer from the road either.

Never said you would poach a deer. If a person spotlights on my property I will ask them to move along and I will take down their tag number. It would give the police a good place to start! Your analogies don't work for me, unless you have night vision you need a spotlight to kill a deer after dark. This is how "I" would handle it and I know many others that would do it the same way.