Milwaukee Heated Sweat Shirts?

DirtTime

One of my brothers called me this morning and asked if I could lend a hand stacking some sheetrock in his truck. I figured why not, my trucks in the shop so not like I can be in the woods anyway.

While in the check out at Home Depot, he sees them. Says "There ya go! That should help keep the cold out on stand.". I shot him the glare of all glares.

Maybe I am still old school, wool socks & seater, insulated undies, and layering. No smart phone, or trail cams. I still look at topo maps, use a compass, and whenever possible, walk the land to scout and see where deer and turkey are moving. I feel that's a huge part of hunting many might me missing out on.

I'm 43! I see deer. Seen more on the land I am the only one hunting. Just never in range of my bow.

Am I that far behind? Heated clothes......Cameras to see where the deer are........Little electric things to cover my scent.......

Now, I have decided to go with blinds in the future. They will mask more of my movement. Also, I can put a little chair in them, and even use a small propane heater for the really cold days. So maybe I am getting soft.

I still like getting out there in late Spring and scouting, with no help from the new age of devices.

Am I wrong? Should I go get a bunch of gadgets ( not meant to be argumentative ) , or is my way of doing things still an acceptable way to put food in my freezer?

I am 57 and tend to hunt the old style ways as much as I can. Don't bring phone or use trail cams and tend to put a lot of miles on my hunting boots. But I am getting soft. I now use those little hand warmer packs and will on occasion use an atv to move stands or haul a deer out due to old injuries and general aches and pains. Can't seem to sit still in the cold as long as I used to ether. But it's all good as long as I can still get my butt out there and hunt. I'm happy!

At 73 I have kinda had it with the cold . I used to be able to stand it better before having a Kidney Stone operation but now I get cold fairly easily . It's going to be in the 20's tomorrow am and I am going to try out my Milwaukee heated jacket and see if it helps . I bought backup batteries for it so I should be in good shape . You can kiss old school goodbye !

• Like 3

Anything that will keep me more comfortable in the stand and keep me there longer I will use.Unless you are going out in buckskins,traditional bow or flintlock and sitting/stalking on ground then you are using some sort of newer "technology" to help your hunt. Hunting needs to be fun to keep it alive,now get out there and make it as fun,enjoyable and successful as you can!!

PS I will be getting one of these either in a vest or hoodie for next year.

Edited by MACHINIST

I hate the cold as well. Well, I hate sitting in it for long periods of time. I guess it might be time to get with the new stuff available to help keep us comfy. Was talking to the g/f at 2 AM, she said nothing wrong with being warm. So, I guess it's just me being stubborn and old fashioned.

Will be getting some new gear for next year. Clothing wise. Most likely give up and get a smart phone. I doubt the trail cams though. To me scouting gets me in the woods learning patters and keeps me learning the woods and game.

Thanks for the input folks. It was appreciated.

I used my Milwaukee heated jacket this am . The battery lasted about 3 hours . I put a recharged one in at 1 pm but didn't turn it on . Instead , I grabbed my sleeping bag , put it over my shoulders and was comfy warm . It blocked the wind at my back also . Gettin older - gettin smarter !

I like the cold, don't get me wrong not two degrees and windchill factor of negative 5,but I'm talking 20's ..... I think that's the perfect weather to hunt, the game will be moving and all bets are off... I just dress warm for the occasion,I would try that Milwaukee shirt, send us a link, will ya...????

I used my Milwaukee heated jacket this am . The battery lasted about 3 hours . I put a recharged one in at 1 pm but didn't turn it on . Instead , I grabbed my sleeping bag , put it over my shoulders and was comfy warm . It blocked the wind at my back also . Gettin older - gettin smarter !

Sleeping bag?

I've spent at least 48 hours a week in a refrigerated warehouse for the last 15 years.  Being cold's overrated.  I'm hunting not trying to do some sort of penance, if some gadget will keep me warmer longer I'm all for it.

When I'm hunting (bow or gun) Southern tier anyway.  When I'm up in the Adirondacks I'm constantly moving so it's easier to stay warm.

• Like 1

Never heard of this heated jacket. Not sure how much it is? I go with under armour base layer 2.0 in these temps and 4.0 when temps are below zero. Pair that with a t shirt sweatshirt and whitetail extreme jackets and pants and I'm good to go all day in any temps. Been out in -20 temps (without wind chill) in Minnesota and was fine. By the way, I hate the cold! I don't handle it well or anything, just have the right equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of off topic but here's a toe-toastie trick.  1 pair for each foot, two pair of socks and good insulated boots. With 3 pair of socks my feet are to tight and thaty just doesn't work. Anyhow; with one pair take one and put it on the top of your sock near your toes, not the bottom. Take another and put it right below your ankle by the heel. Do the same on your other foot. Second pair of socks over those. Check it out it works great.

Edit to add; some of the cheaper off brand warmers just plain suck.

Edited by Fantail

Never heard of this heated jacket. Not sure how much it is? I go with under armour base layer 2.0 in these temps and 4.0 when temps are below zero. Pair that with a t shirt sweatshirt and whitetail extreme jackets and pants and I'm good to go all day in any temps. Been out in -20 temps (without wind chill) in Minnesota and was fine. By the way, I hate the cold! I don't handle it well or anything, just have the right equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.grainger.com/product/22MH12?gclid=CL2zkLfXgsICFXIF7AodtwoA_A&cm_mmc=PPC:GOOGLEPLAA-_-Safety-_-Workwear-_-22MH12&ef_id=UxKIdAAAATDRbUqy:20141117222605:s

Think that link might work.

I snowboard, and I hunt, I  know how to layer clothing. I just thought this might be a bit much. It did teach me something though.

Then again, I guess the old traditions of wool, that even when it's wet holds your body heat, are gone.

Edited by JustRob

just taking a quick look, it appears the heating elements are in the upper back and chest.......I think you would want the heat in the lower back area to be really effective.

"Core Heat" is just an area. It means the core. Your chest and back. I know this may be off your normal map, but look up a ski or snowboard jacket, with a core lining. It's designed to keep your core warm, chest back and kidneys warm on the lift up.

Hunters sitting all day need more. I am just not sure about a battery operated layer. 

Kind of off topic but here's a toe-toastie trick.  1 pair for each foot, two pair of socks and good insulated boots. With 3 pair of socks my feet are to tight and thaty just doesn't work. Anyhow; with one pair take one and put it on the top of your sock near your toes, not the bottom. Take another and put it right below your ankle by the heel. Do the same on your other foot. Second pair of socks over those. Check it out it works great.

Don't put between sock layers, especially if the base layer sock is thin.  It definitely is warmer that way, but I got a burned foot from that - I can take off my shoe and sock to snap a picture of it if you like, blister and all.  I was using HotHands brand, non-adhesive foot warmers.

I am more traditional is some ways - layering, thermal long-johns, wool socks.  But also use moisture-wicking layer on warm days, and some of the newer thermal socks.  If in the 20's before wind-chill, I add the HotHands' warmers to boots, gloves, and if get cold enough, put one on lower back.  Still using a plain old cell phone and carry a compass and a topo map of the area.

For a short morning hunt, the heated jacket  sounds good.  Battery not charged or runs out and you are a couple miles in and on foot, better have an alternative to stay out there, or head home.  But that is just my 2 cents.

Don't put between sock layers, especially if the base layer sock is thin.  It definitely is warmer that way, but I got a burned foot from that - I can take off my shoe and sock to snap a picture of it if you like, blister and all.  I was using HotHands brand, non-adhesive foot warmers.

<snip>

I would agree with that if your using the thicker non-adhesive pocket - hand warmers. But the thinner adhesive toe warmers don't get that hot.

"Core Heat" is just an area. It means the core. Your chest and back. I know this may be off your normal map, but look up a ski or snowboard jacket, with a core lining. It's designed to keep your core warm, chest back and kidneys warm on the lift up.

Hunters sitting all day need more. I am just not sure about a battery operated layer. 

Actually, the lower back/sides area is much more effective. They have those Thermacare lower back and hip heat wraps. Try one on a cold day sometime. Once the weather gets below about 20 degrees, Ill put one on, my Under Armour base layer, then my Predator insulated overalls and jacket with a skull cap and Im good to go all day. Maybe Ill drop the foot warmers in if it gets to where my feet get cold.

That would be the kidney area.........

My riding jackets have a core from shoulders to waist, front, back, and sides. But, they are designed different. They are not meant for sitting in freezing temps for hours. You might get a chill on the way up the lift, but riding back down you will sweat.

Hunting, when we sit, we don't create body heat. We are still. So, our core temp drops fast. That's what we have to keep the warmest. I am just not sure battery operated clothing is really the best way to go. Wool is costly, but more effective. Even when it's soaking wet, it retains heat. So, I am just not sure the risk of the batteries dying, and new ones not charged are really a better way to go.

I don't look at hunting as old school or new school, but as whatever will make my encouters the most enjoyable.  That simply means seeing animals when I am in the woods.  If that requires cameras and scent control. so be it.  There is no sense putting up a blind and not having a deer walk by.  Or, having them smell you a mile away and alter their pattern.  there isn't much enjoyment in freezing your $@# off all day and seeing a squirrel.

To each their own.  I respect ALL hunters simply because we are a minority in a liberal world.  I just prefer to hunt "new school" and increase my odds.

Happy hunting.

• Like 1

Try the heat packs like I said. They work pretty much all day

Those $0.99 hand warmers (2 per pack) work great for keeping you warm.  I simply crack one when i'm in my stand and put in the left breast pocket (over my heart) in my most inside layer.  It is remarkable how much heat that will generate through your whole body that way.

$3.00 for 6 of them is a weeks worth of hunting and a lot cheaper than spending $100's on fancy equipment and extra layers.

Those $0.99 hand warmers (2 per pack) work great for keeping you warm.  I simply crack one when i'm in my stand and put in the left breast pocket (over my heart) in my most inside layer.  It is remarkable how much heat that will generate through your whole body that way.

$3.00 for 6 of them is a weeks worth of hunting and a lot cheaper than spending $100's on fancy equipment and extra layers.

Agree with ya I also use them in my back pocket's for long sit's.