Hunting Accident

ItalianHunter5

When on public or private land not every person is a hunter. There could be bird watchers out, or a farmer out walking his field, who at this time of year is must likely wearing Carhartt clothing. These people have that right. It is not mandatory to wear orange. So know your target and beyond. I've been hunting for 39 years.  Starting hunting on the family farm, then for 6 straight years went on public land in Allegany State Park, our land in the Adirondacks. Never had I not known my target and beyond.   

When on public or private land not every person is a hunter. There could be bird watchers out, or a farmer out walking his field, who at this time of year is must likely wearing Carhartt clothing. These people have that right. It is not mandatory to wear orange. So know your target and beyond. I've been hunting for 39 years.  Starting hunting on the family farm, then for 6 straight years went on public land in Allegany State Park, our land in the Adirondacks. Never had I not known my target and beyond.   

With today's camo, I would say that there probably was never a time in the woods when you really knew that there was nobody beyond the deer hunkered down in full camo. Unless you are hunting a brushed out, clearcut area with an earthen backstop, you never know that there is no one out there dressed in camo. Yes, Be as sure as possible of your target and beyond. But recognize that there is always a possibility that there is some guy in camo out there trying to hide from you.

Saturday, I had a guy come in on me and set up within 70 yards of me. If he had been in camo, I would likely never have known he was there. As it turned out, that blaze orange stuck out like a sore thumb, and I shouted over and convinced him that he was really too close and that the situation was not really safe. He moved on. Had he not, I would have moved. Had he been in camo, that unsafe situation would have remained.

It is one thing to not know someone is beyond you in camo.  it is another to shoot a deer lying down on a cart with guys pulling it.  two entirely different scenarios.  And a woman walking a dog regardless of the color of the dog is never going to look like a deer, except to a trigger happy fool who wants to be the first to shoot someone oops I mean something.  

• Like 2

Remember that when its the other way around big timer!!

So funny when the term " guns dont kill people, people kill people " fits you its a never ending story. But in this case its just a accident. So when someone shoots your kid cause he couldn't see his orange hat popping over the bush im sure you will understand right???

I dont understand your post, or why you quoted mine. All im saying is that while its a shame that orange is necessary, it absolutely is.

O of course she has no orange on???

Did you shoot her yet.,

Who wouldn't ???

She was wearing black.

But her unleashed dogs were way ahead of her making all sorts of noise.

And her calling them back made her presence well known.

That is a topic for a different thread.

what on earth was that all about?

Hey when you see my post and feel like spewing your non sense, just keep scrolling.

All I ever see from you is someone trying to stir a 30 page pot. You never have any good words for any one I dont see you giving advise or being a half way human. I dont see you on a any harvest thread nothing. Do you even hunt. What is your point on this site other that to try and be a viral bully.

I wish there was a block button so I couldn't even be bothered by your negativity. Your a product of your own misery. Have a good one and remember were tonsssssssssssss of orange.

Hey when you see my post and feel like spewing your non sense, just keep scrolling.

All I ever see from you is someone trying to stir a 30 page pot. You never have any good words for any one I dont see you giving advise or being a half way human. I dont see you on a any harvest thread nothing. Do you even hunt. What is your point on this site other that to try and be a viral bully.

I wish there was a block button so I couldn't even be bothered by your negativity. Your a product of your own misery. Have a good one and remember were tonsssssssssssss of orange.

You off your meds again?

Hang on a second, he was asking you why you quoted the post you did and replied to it the way you did. WTH are you jumping all over his back for?

Actually Culver has contributed greatly to this site many times. He hunts his ass off and is a hell of a guy. He doesnt post alot of his kills, many people on here are the same way. He actually does some things to give back to the hunting community and youth hunters. You have no clue what you are talking about on this one.

Although I believe that there is no excuse for mistaking a hunter for a deer in the woods... not all of the incidents of hunters being shot are because they were mistaken for a deer... in some cases the shooter could be shooting at a deer and hit a hunter somewhere beyond the deer... if you are wearing orange it is much more likely that the shooter will see you beyond the deer, if you're wearing camo probably not likely at all...especially if you are stationary... a simple orange hat could make the difference between getting shot or not getting shot... wearing some orange during the gun season shouldn't have to be mandatory... if you're the gambling type and stupid enough to believe you're safe with camo on when bullets are flying then you get what you get... I feel sorry for the guy that has to live with shooting someone beyond his target that just wasn't visible because he chose not to be.

Not being able to tell a live deer from a man or deer being pulled on a cart.. inexcusable.

• Like 4

How many people get shot with orange on?  I do not believe it should be mandatory.  NYS was one of the safest last year in incidents and it is NOT required.  Fact!

Plain and simple one main fact of hunting is identify your target and beyond and place your shot.  To many idiots shoot at movement, and even some take a sound shot.  These idiots have shot people in orange just like last year.  Many incidents could be prevented if they identified and placed the shot. 

If this hunter orange makes us so safe should it be required during bow season?

Personally in the Southern zone I wear it during rifle but up in the Northern zone I do not.  Am I at greater risk, possibly but my experience has been that most hunters up north identify prey and use shot placement.  Plus they have to shoot bucks only and identify the rack so no brown and down. 

New York has not had an excellent safety record because blaze orange is not mandatory. From what I have seen, NYS hunters treat blaze orange as though it is mandatory. Over all the years that I have been hunting, thankfully, I have seen only two idiots out there in camo. Ha-ha, maybe I haven't seen them because they were in camo. But the fact is that we do not refer to them as the "orange army" because they are decked out in camo.

I am not a big proponent of mandatory orange, but I wouldn't exactly get real mad if it did become mandatory. I really hate the idea that there are people posted out there in full camo.

The guy killed by us...was wearing orange...but a buck ran between him and the shooter...He pulled up for that quick shot and killed his hunting partner...actually not right away...through his arm into chest...the guy was screaming and begging not to die and for help...but died on scene..

I did not shoot a trespasser at camp when I pulled up and took aim on a doe....just as I was about to squeze off the shot the top of his orange hat popped up over her shoulder...that was the only orange he had on.....Only one other time in my life did I ever violently scream at another person as I did that guy...his only excuse was he saw the trucks leave..I still don't think he knew how close he came to a possible slug in the face...it's an experience I'll never forget...the thing is especially in rolling terain...places that have dips or ditches...why ppl risk their lives is beyond me...

Edited by growalot