Piebald

wdswtr

We had this piebald buck traveling on several farms with a couple guys specifically targeting it.  It ended up killed.  I hunted one of the farms it was seen on but I was not specifically targeting it and to be honest I dont think I would of shot it if I had the opportunity, a creature of this rarity just seems fitting to me to let it walk for everyone in the area to enjoy seeing it.  What do you guys and gals think?  Not that it matters now but curious how many would pass it up and how many would shoot to kill.

post-1162-0-80316000-1417361832_thumb.jp

• Like 3

I would kill it. Pie bald genetics are inferior and bad for the herd. Its not just a lot of white in the coat, its also a whole lot of other inferior traits. Short legs, short lower jaws, smaller body size, etc.

Sometimes pie bald deer have other poor qualities, but a normal colored coat. The reason I know this is about 7 years ago I shot a doe that had a fully developed lower jaw that was about 4 inches shorter than the top. I researched it and was told it came from the deer having pie bald genetics.

Edited by Terry
  • Like 1

I would kill it. Pie bald genetics are inferior and bad for the herd. Its not just a lot of white in the coat, its also a whole lot of other inferior traits. Short legs, under developed lower jaws, smaller body size, etc.

that's true......I shot a piebald doe a bunch of years ago, very strange body on it.

because someone killed it... all of us here on the forum get to see it... and all the hunter's friends get to see it...  and he'll probably mount it which means people will see it for years after the bucks normal life expectancy in the wild.. Seeing it in the wild would be much harder and by less people.

• Like 1

Here is a pic of two pictures of one I killed in 2004 down in Hector. Not as white, but I wasn't passing her. Everyone knew she existed and wanted to kill her. I figure she had a better chance of a swift death with me than with some of the whoople heads that were hunting nearby.

IMG_20140412_120728_zps5fad0ea7.jpg

Edited by Terry
  • Like 4

Here is a pic of two pictures of one I killed in 2004 down in Hector. Not as white, but I wasn't paying her. Everyone knew she existed and wanted to kill her. I figure she had a better chance of a swift death with me than with some of the whoople heads that were hunting nearby.

IMG_20140412_120728_zps5fad0ea7.jpg

thanks for your service..........

The DEC site says if it's black and white it's a piebald, brown and white is a skew bald. I've been calling them piebald all these years. I guess Water Rat is correct. There is another genetic malformation which makes some deer have black or very dark coats and hooves. I guess it's the opposite of albino.

The DEC site says if it's black and white it's a piebald, brown and white is a skew bald. I've been calling them piebald all these years. I guess Water Rat is correct. There is another genetic malformation which makes some deer have black or very dark coats and hooves. I guess it's the opposite of albino.

The origin of the word "piebald" comes from "pie" meaning "mixed up", and "bald" meaning "having a white spot". Hence the DEC site is wrong... the coloration of a piebald is the mixture of a naturally colored deer and white. A deer with any black coloration is considered Melanistic which is the production of too much of the pigment known as Melanin and it is extremely rare.

Skewbald is just another term for piebald. They are the same.

An albino has total absence of Melanin.. or the absence of pigment.

The Seneca White Deer are leucistic - a reduction in all types of skin pigment, not just melanin.

http://www.nyantler-outdoors.com/albino-deer.html

http://www.nyantler-outdoors.com/piebald-deer.html

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1