Piebald

wdswtr

It won't allow the pics but here are the links...not misshaped...not spindly.....I'd rather take a true trophy in both senses

of the word...a mature doe would have been shot....

These small spindle racks guys talk about....wouldn't/couldn't  possibly be due to shooting them  before they have a chance to grow now would  it ???? Hhhhmmmm

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2013/12/virginia-hunter-takes-monster-piebald-buck

http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/rack-reports/2013/12/29/rack-report-giant-piebald-buck-from-public-land

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=725716

http://bigdeerblog.com/?p=1900

Edited by growalot

I would take it without hesitation. After all, I am in the woods to hunt deer for the freezer.  A good bunch of years ago there were 2-3 of these around Union Springs. I wonder if genetics are passed along or this is more random. Have not seen or heard of any around that area after that.

It's a freakin' mistake of nature that can't make up its mind whether it is a deer or a goat. Shoot the damn thing and eat it just like you would any other deer and take satisfaction in the fact that you have removed a deer full of recessive genes from the pool, and never mind all the romantic emotional crap. Yes it is rare, and that's a good thing.

• Like 1

One of my biggest regrets was not shooting one I could have twice on the same day.

First saw it in bow, friend said neighboring farmer did not want it shot, well at the time I hunted that farm a bit so I said ok out of repspect of his wishes.

Opening day I saw it on the farm I hunt most of the time, let it pass.

Few hours later we were setting up,for a drive , I was a driver waiting in the woods for the watchers to set up across a field.

Well the watchers bumped some deer that ran into the woods and that piebald now stood less than 30 yards from me, again not on the other framers land, I passed it a second time.

Nobody ever saw that buck again and had two easy shots in one day......

Edited by Larry302

Before I get my head ripped off I remembered something today.  There is a deer farm within a mile or two of where this piebald was shot.  Talking with the locals today it was brought up that this farm had Fallow deer on it that had crossed the fence into the wild.  If I recall it was 3 years ago now and never heard if they were recovered or not.  These guys are thinking they cross bred but I have no knowledge if this is possible.  I can tell you though there is more than one piebald still in the area.  2 more were seen this morning. 

Before I get my head ripped off I remembered something today.  There is a deer farm within a mile or two of where this piebald was shot.  Talking with the locals today it was brought up that this farm had Fallow deer on it that had crossed the fence into the wild.  If I recall it was 3 years ago now and never heard if they were recovered or not.  These guys are thinking they cross bred but I have no knowledge if this is possible.  I can tell you though there is more than one piebald still in the area.  2 more were seen this morning. 

It is not possible... piebald and albinism happen because of a recessive gene... that gene however may or may not be passed on later by a piebald or albino... a fallow deer coloration is normal and doesn't involve that recessive gene.