Gassing before hunting?

zeus1gdsm

Alright fill me in... What is the prejudice against getting gas before hunting... A couple of time this year I've come out to an empty truck and the wife hadn't told me... Sometimes u just need gas...

Considering people uses wheelers and sidebys to get to their spots at times. I can't imagine a little gas is going to wreck your hunt unless you spray it on yourself.

So what's the deal with the gas comment?

From all the posts I've seen mentioning this. There seems to be. ALOT of "eliteism" here..

I guess I should hang up the rifle as its only an axis.. And my outer hunting clothes are from Walmart.

I routinely avoid Taco Bell the night before hunting  :rolleyes:

Honestly though I'll fill up the car the night before. I don't wear my outer clothing or rubber boots in drive time anyhow but I figure why take the chance of getting some on my hands. That's a distinct odor tough to get rid of. And it's one less thing I need to do before my hour drive and half hour up the hill to  my stand. 

But you're right. Always wondered about contact from ATV's and such with oil and gas. 

• Like 2

I don't think hunters not understanding why anyone would wear the boots they plan on hunting in being worn to get gas while standing on concrete reeking of gas and oil. I doubt they see it as an elitism....many here are bow hunters, so getting deer in very close is a must...many know deer travel the same paths they do or at the least cross them...boots they wear deposit the smells they come in contact with.... trying to get a deer well within rage by not tipping your hand with their nose is just common sense...but Hey I could be an elitist from way back..and didn't realize it...lol

• Like 4

when I first read this I was going to tell you to buy TUMS

If I need gas I fill my truck simple as that. I lock the pump when it clicks I take it out

1st thing is let the air out of your wife's tires & tell her never to leave your truck on empty again

as far as the Axis Hang it up to fancy of a rifle

I christened my daughters Ruger American this year with my longest shot ever took a doe @165 yards

Now I am buying another for me like it better then my M77

would buy my camo's at walmart too but all I ever  find there is 3XL

It is a given, the less we smell like humans and our stuff the better... Personally, I don't have a scent regimen at all. I try to pay attention to the wind direction and hunt accordingly. I have a pretty good track record considering , I stink...lol

I do get busted by deer all the time, though more deer wonder by clueless upwind.

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 6

My .02 on this whole thing is that unless you are hunting big woods deer the chances of the deer picking up on your smell and distinguishing it from the house down the road or tractors in fields I think is a pretty big if...i have never been busted by a deer due to smell that I know of sure they pick up movement but smell I don't think is likely in the rural even country settings most hunt....ADKs and big woods different story tho. They may never encounter a human or house in some spots

Edit....both deer I shot with bow I had smoked a few in stand prior to shooting and butts were in my pocket

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 1

I remember back before all this scent control, My dad and I would where are work coveralls that where covered in grease, fuel, grapes, and what every else was on them. We would sit in tree's and still see lots of deer and kill lots of deer. If I take a tractor or my 4 wheeler and drive around a vineyard most of the time the deer will just stand there or stay laying down, now if I drive my truck around, and time of the year those deer take off like a rocket.

Alright fill me in... What is the prejudice against getting gas before hunting... A couple of time this year I've come out to an empty truck and the wife hadn't told me... Sometimes u just need gas...

Considering people uses wheelers and sidebys to get to their spots at times. I can't imagine a little gas is going to wreck your hunt unless you spray it on yourself.

So what's the deal with the gas comment?

From all the posts I've seen mentioning this. There seems to be. ALOT of "eliteism" here..

I guess I should hang up the rifle as its only an axis.. And my outer hunting clothes are from Walmart.

Like that last line.

Most hunters don't wear the outer layer in the vehicle driving to their hunting spot. Seeing most people here are hunting the suburbs, I don't see the gassing up thing as an issue. Never wear your outer layer to or from the woods, never wear your hunting boots while driving, give a good spray of scent killer on your bass and or mid layer, your outer layer, and your boots, you should be fine.

100 years ago people hunted in w/e clothes they had, smoked pipes, cigars, cigarettes ( while actually hunting! ), ate w/e, yet low and behold, they still killed deer. Go figure.

Oh what ever did we do before scent killer and camo?

Edited by JustRob
  • Like 1

Like that last line.

Most hunters don't wear the outer layer in the vehicle driving to their hunting spot. Seeing most people here are hunting the suburbs, I don't see the gassing up thing as an issue. Never wear your outer layer to or from the woods, never wear your hunting boots while driving, give a good spray of scent killer on your bass and or mid layer, your outer layer, and your boots, you should be fine.

100 years ago people hunted in w/e clothes they had, smoked pipes, cigars, cigarettes ( while actually hunting! ), ate w/e, yet low and behold, they still killed deer. Go figure.

Oh what ever did we do before scent killer and camo?

This is spot on.. I wear other shoes and keep my jacket and boots in the back.. When I get out I spray down. Suit up and go.

I fully understand the concept of the gas smelling and scent control... Especially with bow. But I think the whole "gassing" comments and other elitism tossed around here is rediculous... I participate I many various forums and the vibe here tends to be hostile a lot. Just saying.

I think I'm gonna have to start starving myself for 2 days before the hunt so my bowels are empty... Keep all my clothes at the bottom of my stand.. Then when its time to go I'll drive naked. Walked the 2 miles in socks... Bury them 100 feet from the stand. Get dressed in my gear that's been sitting there for days. Then encase my body in a sterile vacume seal bag with nose and eye holes....

They'll never smell me.

• Like 3

ut I think the whole "gassing" comments and other elitism tossed around here is rediculous... I participate I many various forums and the vibe here tends to be hostile a lot. Just saying.

Not sure where the "gassing" reference is from that fired you up...but I have to agree with part of that quote....though...it's really not recent news....lol...BTW...you defeated all that effort...forgetting the scent free face mask for the air coming out of your nose...busted right there!...hahahahaha  ;)

Edited by growalot

you could not shower for 3 weeks, rub Limburger cheese all over you hunting clothes,gargle with beer and sit in your stand taking a leak while smoking a cigar.... if you are playing the wind right. My 3 biggest bucks were taken with a cigarette in my hands, besides a bunch of others. They can always come in where we don't expect them but there is NO such thing as being scent free.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 7

you could not shower for 3 weeks, rub Limburger cheese all over you hunting clothes,gargle with beer and sit in your stand taking a leak while smoking a cigar.... if you are playing the wind right. My 3 biggest bucks were taken with a cigarette in my hands, besides a bunch of others. They can always come in where we don't expect them but there is NO such thing as being scent free.

Yes there is! It's called playing Cabelas Hunting games on an XBox or PS.

:rofl:

• Like 1

Maybe we hunters should demand attendants fill our tanks for us like they did in the old days.  Self serve sucks.  It doesn't lower the price either.  They pump it for you in NJ and it's about .50 cents a gallon less there.

That is the law down there isn't it? I don't think they can have Self Serve.

I know one guy who gives up eating all meat a month before bow season and keeps with that all through gun. he believes that a carnivore gives off a scent that herbivores can smell more easily. He is a freak with the scent control stuff. And he really doesn't take any more or bigger deer than other guys I know.

If you havn't got gas all over yourself you will be fine. I have heard a guy say he doesn't eat breakfast because he doesnt want to smell like eggs in the woods. I couldn't even comment on it I would have started laughing to hard.

We stop at different restaurants on some Saturday am's as well as on Sunday after Mass . When you walk out of the restaurants and get in the car , you can smell grease . That's why I NEVER eat at any restaurant when hunting .

We stop at different restaurants on some Saturday am's as well as on Sunday after Mass . When you walk out of the restaurants and get in the car , you can smell grease . That's why I NEVER eat at any restaurant when hunting .

That much I agree with. Im still big on playing the wind but want to stay as scent free as possible. As far as getting some food in you before hunting it's something I do without a problem.

that's the residual bacon grease...don't beat yourself up over it.

The Original Post looks to me like a stir the pot post .

Go ahead and gas your car up on your way to your hunting spot . Nothing is stopping you so what's your problem !

My preference is to gas up the night before and if I did have to get gas in the am , I would put on a pair (or at least one) of the vinyl gloves . I dress with minimal hunting clothes on the way and have my hunting clothes in a tote or scentproof bag . Do I care if others do this ? Hell no ! For me , the less scent , the better . I used to smoke and shot deer while doing so . The deer have evolved and have gotten smarter .

I stopped at Fastrack to get gas a few days ago . The damned hose leaked right where it swivels . Got gas all over my hands and on my boots . I went in and told the clerk that the hose was screwed up . Went to the john and washed my hands and could still smell the gas on them .

Some hunters care about being scent free but that doesn't make them an elitist ! Take whatever stink you want to the woods when you hunt .........

• Like 1

When we hunted state lands and slept in our trucks the night before hunting on the state land we filled up our tanks. We drove to the designated parking spots ( gas fumes and the noise getting there ) We cooked our backon and eggs or what ever and made a fresh pot of coffee also at the parking spot. Most of the time wearing our hunting pants and coats,And headed into the woods , Most years we would get our buck and a doe if we got a permit for one. No sent sprays, sent control clothes and rubber boot the most uncomfortable foot wear to wear when in the mountians hunting.

Took a part of a roll of toilet paper wit you after you let your breakfast out and took a wizz from the beers the night before in the woods. As they say a bear s****s in the woods doesent it.

Just played the wind

• Like 1