Gassing before hunting?

zeus1gdsm

Now that I hunt my own land most of the time , I use my atv to get to my spots ( drive right up to the spot ) and park it. As in the past it does not bother the deer , mot of the time the just stand there and watch you go by. I changed using regular pump gas to Non ethonole gas,( It smells almost like VP racing fuel ) It still does not scare them away.

• Like 1

It's a choice . I heard of a guy who wore his work clothes hunting and smelled like diesel fuel . He killed deer . Smelling like that was his prerogative and he scored while hunting .

I don't want all that stink on me ..... be it gas , oil , bacon grease , etc ..

Yes. Yes it is. A choice!

The OP asked what the big deal was about pumping gas on your way hunting. Seeing anyone who does this is a "slob hunter", not my words, the words of others.

If the hose is leaking, and you didn't stop pumping and immediately go inside and tell the attendant, that's on you and unsafe. It is what it is.

The real line is, if you hunt the burbs, the smell of gas really has no meaning. Nor does the smell of a grease-pit diner. Get in the real woods and then say scent matters. Not 3 minutes from a Quickie Lube.

So WTF do you really care if someone else smells like 2 day old crap?

I think you are all missing the point.

Edited by JustRob
  • Like 1

Not a stir the pot post.. With the recent "slobs" posts. Gassing up was mentioned... I was checking to see if there was some other scientific reason to not get gas other than the possibility of taking the smell with you

There is also a list of dudes that don't dare set foot in the woods or touch a leaf without worrying about scent. Those are the over thinkers that don't kill any more deer than anyone else. I chuckle every time I read a post like that,whatever gets them through the season is fine by me. I don't have to care just cause they do.

• Like 2

I was just thinking of the amt of guys ik that drink coffee on the sit I don't drink coffee but my mom and wife always have and that is about the strongest smell I can think off

You should get a whiff of me after Venison Tacos or a good dose of Garlic, whew. That will take the hair off a cow.

• Like 3

Absolutely littering would classify. But that goes outside the woods as well

As a smoker I go as long as I can before giving in. And I do take moderate scent control procedures. I spray down real good before I head in... Don't use laundry detergent on my stuff. Just a cold water shower in the am. No deoderant. And keep my clothes on the back porch. That said... The first smoke will burn me if the wind doesn't play right.

I'm more concerned about sound... Right now I'm looking for a stainless water bottle to replace my plastic one... Hate that crackle

Edited by zeus1gdsm
  • Like 2

Yea I drink redbull I pour in a Gatorade bottle and every time I open it you get that burst of carbonation....another sound is that darn plastic wrappers on lil doughnuts or candy that gets me thinking about opening before going in....until I always forget....

I've gotten into the habit of opening all my snack stuff and putting in a sandwich bag. Makes it a lot quieter to open.. oh and I never/rarely leave home without my coffee thermos..

• Like 2

I will not pump gas, I have gone and taken my husband truck so he can fill mine up. I unplug, throw out and pour our all air freshners a few weeks before hunting. I try not to touch limbs or branches with my bare hands but that is a hard one.

it's probably less of an issue during gun than bow as you don't need the deer as close. It boils down to doing every little thing I can to increase my odds and really nothing more. The elitism probably comes from the hunter who complains he never sees any deer and then gets all upset when someone offers him some advice that he didn't ask for.

I don't wear my outer layer in my truck. I wear slip on shoes in the truck. I keep the outer layer in scent lok bag and dress outer layer and boots when I arrive at location, spray down and do the same on exit. I hang everything outside and wash anything that gets sweaty and I still see deer cut my tracks.

Hunt how you want I guess is the mantra we follow on this forum. And that's ok with me and truthfully you can smoke a cig in the stand and still shoot a booner if the odds are right. I just like to do all I can to help my odds.

too many variables. We throw the term out "i still kill deer" a lot in this thread. But I can smoke a cigar and shoot a yearling buck or doe. I can not take scent control precautions and still shoot a booner. I believe those that truly go out to trophy hunt mature deer take very careful precautions. It just boils down to increasing your odds. Some may consider it a waste of time and money but scent control can not hurt you. Lack of control can. You absolutely can kill big bucks both ways. Maybe big bucks aren't your goal and it's not important to you, that's fine. I find it sloppy to wear oily clothes in the tree stand. It's my opinion and nothing more and I could care less what "just rob" thinks of it.

To know a guy who is surgical with scent control who doesn't shoot big deer and one who is not can come down to many things. The area they hunt being the biggest factor, or perhaps the scent control guy is a bad shot or gets busted moving.

I'm not sure why a whole thread had to be rededicated to one comment only I made (unless I missed the others). It's no secret i have stubborn opinions. Get over it.

I believe in doing everything I can to give me the best chance to shoot a nice deer. Starts with hours in the woods during the off season, includes practice with my weapon, includes taking care of my equipment and buying the gear that will keep me warm and comfortable. Includes purchasing the best ammo I can afford etc. It's not to say that any hunter who doesn't practice scent control doesn't do any of these things.

Hunting is hunting. Too many variables go into play that you cannot attribute success to ozonics or scent lok base layers or your new high speed bow. Does $500 worth of game cameras guarantee you a deer? of course not. they might help you prioritize your time though. I could hunt day and and night stinking like a pig and eventually I will kill a deer because the wind will be right. But with a family of 4 and a busy career I don't have that luxury so I try to make every minute count. I don't know maybe it's the engineer in me. I don't believe in being sloppy. I strive for excellence in everything I do and it has fared me well in life, but is a type A personality that will rarely win a lot of friends.

I assume the debate here is more about the comment about hunters being called slobs, than it is about scent being important. That is essentially a proven fact at this point. Even a surgical hunter has had a doe blow. But how many cig smokers didn't even know they had a buck coming the other way that winded them and booked?

You either have the wind right or you don't. You can't buy a good wind direction from Gander Mountain. Is it sloppy hunting to rely on a good solid understanding of where the deer will be coming from and understanding wind currents enough to know when the wind will not go to them, rather than relying on purchased products and hyped procedures to take care of all that pesky stuff for you?

We all do what we think works best for us. There's nothing sloppy or not sloppy about it. And there's nothing in either scenario that labels a hunter a slob. That comment was way out of line.

• Like 1