Bore Sighting

GreeneHunter

I've never bore sighted a gun before , always had time to go to the range ! Anyone sight their gun this way , ever use Dicks to get a gun bore sighted ?

if you're talking bore sighting and then just going hunting, bad, bad idea.........the best you can usually hope for is it getting you on paper. what does Dick's charge? if it's the cost of a box of ammo, get it done....I've burned through a lot of ammo just trying to get on paper.

• Like 1

if you're talking bore sighting and then just going hunting, bad, bad idea.........the best you can usually hope for is it getting you on paper. what does Dick's charge? if it's the cost of a box of ammo, get it done....I've burned through a lot of ammo just trying to get on paper.

Pretty much summed up any reply that could follow on this thread.

• Like 1

As has already been pointed out, all "bore sighting" is intended to do is get you on the paper at 25yds, 100yds if the paper is big enough..

Way back 47 years ago when I started deer hunting, we didn't have "bore sighting colometers", or at least they weren't common..

If it's a bolt gun you can bore sight it at the range if you have sandbags to keep the gun steady while you adjust the scope. I use a vise on my back porch work bench & place the 4"orange target 25yds out in the yard.

Remove the bolt, wedge the gun in sandbags as you peer down the bore. The target is really pretty easy to center in the bore, just like a peep sight. Wedge the sandbags so that the target is centered in the bore.

Lift your head & look through the scope. If the cross hairs are anywhere near the center of the target, just shoot the paper at 25yds.

Even without bore sighting, if the reticle is centered in the adjusments & the rear mount is likewise, or clamp on mounts are used. The bullet will probably be on paper at 25 yds.

Remember though, to move the POI 1" at 25yds you need to adjust the equivelent of 4" at 100. If it is 2" high at 25yds it will be off the paper at 100 unless you have a BIG paper.

No mater how you do it shoot at 25yds. Sighted in at 25yds will be about 2 1/2" at 100. After you get sighted in at 25yds fine tune it at 100. using the center of 3 shot groups.

Depending on the cartridge 2 1/2" high at 100 yds will be about 3" high at 150 & drop from there, propably crossing the POA again at 200-250yds again, depending on the caliber.

Edited by wildcat junkie

How to propery bore sight a firearm.

Mount scope in the right position for eye releaf.

Locktite it down.

Grab targets and staple gun from garage.

Go to range.

Zero.

If you start out at 100yds, better to use the side of the garage instead of a small paper target to assure that a bullet is "on target" so you can make an adjustment.

Another thing. While shooting 1 shot & making adjustments at 25 yds is OK. I've seen a lot of guys shoot up a lot of ammo chasing 1 shot bullet strikes at 100yds trying to "save ammo". If the gun isn't a tight shooter anyway, coupling that with some people's inability to hold a group themselves really gets them puzzled as to why the bullet stikes never settle into the center of the POA.

I always shoot atleast 2, preferably 3 shots at 100yds & use the center of the group or eliminate obvious "flyers" when making adjustment. Usually 6 or at the most, 9 rounds is all I need to get completely dialed in.

I like 2 1/2" high at 100 yds, then I can hold on the center of the sweet spot just above the heart anywhere from 10 to 250 yds with my 8X57 & never be out of a sure kill zone.

I watched 1 poor guy burn up almost 2 boxes of ammo at 25 yds one day before we figured out he had the scope mounted 90° off. He had the windage on the top & elevation on the left side.

By the time I helped him get it back on the paper he was completely out of ammo & it was the evening before opening day. He was sighting the gun in for his son too. I felt sorry for them both.

Pygmy's bore sighting process...

Mount scope.

Place target on fairly large ( maybe 2' square) at no further than 10 yards.

Fire one shot..That will tell you what direction you have to move.

Move target to 25 yards..Adjust scope to dead on..usually doesn't take more than 3-4 rounds.

Move target to 100 yards. Sight in 2.5 to 3 inches high. With most chamberings you'll be good to 250 center hold on ribcage..

• Like 2

went to the range today with two rifles with newly mounted and bore sighted scopes........first one was perfect left to right but about 6 inches high........second was about 18 inches to the right and 6 inches low. There is no way I would ever go hunting with a gun that has only been bore sighted.

• Like 2

Simply put you need to shoot some rounds after bore sighting the scope.  It is only designed to get you close enough to see it on paper and sometimes it does not even do that at 50 yards.  Usually 10 rounds and I have the gun zeroed in.

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 1

I learned this lesson the hard way, boresighted my new gun, went hunting, had a nice big buck 30 yards away, shot 3 times and he just stood there and walked around my stand for 4 minutes while I sat there with a $400 stick. Needless to say once he was long gone I picked out a stump around 100 yds away and took a shot to find out I was shooting about 2 feet low,,,grrrrrr