Northern and Southern tier

upstatehunter

what are everyones thoughts on there being 2 buck tags.......one northern tier and one southern tier........i have had years that opening day of northern tier i have shot a buck and then couldnt hunt southern tier.....i own a camp down there and it really sucks when you bought the camp for just deer hunting and then cant use it.  eric

what are everyones thoughts on there being 2 buck tags.......one northern tier and one southern tier........i have had years that opening day of northern tier i have shot a buck and then couldnt hunt southern tier.....i own a camp down there and it really sucks when you bought the camp for just deer hunting and then cant use it.  eric

If you want to hunt a buck at camp then you probably shouldn't hunt north... I know many don't remember the old one buck rule with few party permits available for doe like when I first started hunting... but those that do.. know how good we have it now in NY as far as number of deer we can take and length of season compared to 35-40 years ago. I hunt both North and South... shot a buck north with muzzleloader and couldn't archery hunt for a buck for the rest of the regular bow season... its a trade off... you make a decision and you have to live with that decision... simple

• Like 3

elite ny hunter hit it on the head, I remember those days of party permits. heck now between bow and gun hunting and d.m.p permits its not very hard to fill the freezer. I love shooting good bucks as much as the next guy but I love me some venison. 

It sounds to me like you are talking about gun season only. My suggestion would be to get yourself a modern in-line ML and hunt that season first in the Northern Zone. That will give you a buck/doe tag to use up there during that early one-week season, and you will still be able to use your regular tag in the southern zone. 2 bucks/year with guns total are allowed that way.

If you take the bow-hunting course, then you can get another doe-only tag which can also be used in the Northern or Southern Zone. Most Southern zone's have one or two DMP (antlerless) tags available as well. Then you will also be able to use a crossbow in the northern zone for 2-weeks prior to the ML season up there.

I like to take a 4 day weekend up north that covers the last two days of Archery season ad the first 2 of ML. Does are fairly plentiful up there in several areas I have hunted in zone 6c and taking one with either the crossbow or ML is not overly difficult most seasons. The following weekend this year I was able to fill my archery buck tag in the Southern zone with a 1-1/2 year 6-point.

I usually skip the early part of gun season up north and save my gun tag down south unless a 2.5 year plus buck shows up down south before thanksgiving. That allows me to preserve my gun tag for another 4-day weekend over thanksgiving up north, where this year I was blessed with a 3.5 year plus Adirondack large-bodied 8-point.

It sounds like you may be interests in harvesting bucks only. Personally, I prefer does as my primary concern is venison, but I have yet to have a good shot at one with any weapon in either zone. Tomorrow is my last chance at filling one or more of three remaining doe tags with the ML or crossbow and I plan on hitting it hard, all day long.

Our freezer is full now with 2 bucks of my own and a third a buddy gave us early in archery season, but some of my friends and neighbors were skunked this year so I would like to help them out a bit if I can. The deer population in the southern zone I hunt is significantly higher than it should be and with the poor harvest we have had to this point, coupled with another mild winter as it looks like we are getting, the crop damage next year is going to be real bad.

I'm not sure I understand.

Simple.

If we want to improve deer hunting in NY so it's on par with other states then we need to change what we been doing because it isn't working.

Solutions :

Eliminate the northern and southern zone and have state wide seasons:

Keep the DMU system as along with the DMP.

1 Buck tag issues to be used in any season, bow, regular or MZ

Change the regular firearm season to a nine day season, out of the rut.

Start it the Saturday after thanksgiving and run it for days days.

MZ loader season second Sunday in dec for four days.

Edited by Trial153

Simple.

If we want to improve deer hunting in NY so it's on par with other states then we need to change what we been doing because it isn't working.

Solutions :

I like everything you stated,except the one buck part. ha.. I honestly think that if we left the  2 buck system the way it is now and did the other things you mentioned we would see a much improved buck population. I bet much less than 10% of the hunters take 2 bucks anyway...... Also do away with all nuisance and destroy permit tags... If you have a deer problem then you need better or more hunters on your property!

Don't be greedy and shoot some does ........

Oh, I do... today was not the norm for me(shooting the spike) .He happened to walk out, and I already had decided that I would like to shoot a deer off of the land I have been paying taxes on for 20 years...Not greedy, I have probably passed on at least 50 young bucks over the years on this property..

Normally I shoot a decent buck and wait for a large 8 or bigger before pulling the trigger on a 2nd.  So 9 out of 10 years I get 1 buck.

and I am lucky and get to spend a fair amount of time in the woods.

Simple.

Solutions :

I think if the state did this you would see an immediate decline in hunting license sales. I feel that they would have to drastically reduce the price of licenses to keep the numbers where they are. Which means they would have to offset the costs elsewhere. A good majority of the guys I know gun hunt exclusively. There's no way they'd pay what they do now for nine days of gun. I do agree with eliminating the northern/southern zone. I'm not sure I ever knew what the purpose is.

I think if the state did this you would see an immediate decline in hunting license sales. I feel that they would have to drastically reduce the price of licenses to keep the numbers where they are. Which means they would have to offset the costs elsewhere. A good majority of the guys I know gun hunt exclusively. There's no way they'd pay what they do now for nine days of gun. I do agree with eliminating the northern/southern zone. I'm not sure I ever knew what the purpose is.

I take it that is just your thoughts?

As apposed to comparable license sales in other states that have a short regular season that isn't in the middle of the Rut?

Their sales doesn't seem to be hurting them ...

When you look at the NY season model which is by the way pretty much the same as all of New England with the exception of Ct...you see a model for failure.

Your looking a some of the worst deer hunting states in the country.

Why not take a look at the states that are successful and use a proven model. Just an idea.

As apposed to comparable license sales in other states that have a short regular season that isn't in the middle of the Rut?

When you look at the NY season model which is by the way pretty much the same as all of New England with the exception of Ct...you see a model for failure.

Why not take a look at the states that are successful and use a proven model. Just an idea.

Successful and proven model of what?  

There are areas of this state where there's too many deer and the majority of hunters hunt about 10 days , Down south - 4 Saturday and Sunday's and possibly Thanksgiving and the Friday after. 

I'm fine with the hunting seasons the way they are and I don't have enough property to hunt "a mature 8 point, with a rack at least 16.5" wide" because they refuse to stay on it. Now, if I see one, I'll hunt it and have been successful the last two years. There's other years I settle. 

Horn soup is as tasty as tag soup. 

Yes, just my thoughts. But remember you suggest to change a hunting schedule/routine that's been in place for decades. I'm not sure how many would accept that.

Simple.

Solutions :

Populations would explode... unless of course we doubled the number of hunters... which I don't see happening if you take away tags and hunting days... adding more bucks to the equation and having less days to hunt with the ever diminishing habitat.. would be horrible for NY deer hunting... it might create bigger bucks for a while until there is no food left for the deer to eat because of over population. We are not other states... not the same types of habitats, not the same amount of habitat, not even the same kind of hunting in some cases, deer densities are different... we could go on forever. I'm guessing that since you didn't mention bow hunting anywhere...you're for filling in the voids made in the two gun seasons with more bow hunting... the whole thing sounds a little self serving to me.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 2

Simple.

Solutions :

**EDITED** - I just saw the post above.... which I obviously agree with 

How does this manage the deer herd better?

The deer habitat in this state is very different. 

Some areas have very few deer and others are loaded. Lumping it all into one season doesn't really work for it all does it? 

What's your goal with this plan? 

Edited by upstate

How does this manage the deer herd better?

The deer habitat in this state is very different. 

Some areas have very few deer and others are loaded. Lumping it all into one season doesn't really work for it all does it? 

What's your goal with this plan? 

My guess would be to have more bucks to kill... that's all that I can see that would happen... for a little while until all the deer began starving to death.