I feel sick

Skillet

I work noon to midnight in the winter, so I hunt almost every weekday morning. Yesterday morning, I was hunting my uncle's property with the muzzleloader, just west of Rochester. It's a small brushy piece that is pretty much landlocked on 3 sides by recently cut corn fields, & a 50 yard wide swath of thicket connecting it to the swamp a few hundred yards away. I have my stand in the corner attached to the thicket, and I was hoping yesterday to catch a doe sneaking in to go to bed. I had a fawn come through early, and nothing else until 9:45. Then, I hear something strange to my left, and look over to see a really nice buck (he looked to be a 10, with about 8 or 9" G2's, and an 18-20" inside spread. Good mass with a bone white color rack) standing in the thicket 30yds away, facing into my uncle's property. He was alert, but upwind of me and I was in a high stand that's got good cover. It was way too thick to shoot, so I had no choice but to freeze and wait him out. After a couple of minutes, he turned parallel to me. When he looked away I quickly stood up in hopes of getting a shot when he moved. From a standing position, I realized I had a decent shot at his shoulder through a small window in the brush. I pulled the ML up (I shoot a Traditions Deerhunter sidelock). I was taking my time. I wanted to be sure and I wanted the shot to feel right. Before I could shoot, He suddenly took a large step that looked really strange. I no longer had a shot. He kept moving but it was obvious that he was walking really funny & favoring his front shoulder. He kept heading into thicker cover and he was really struggling to walk. He could only do a step about every 3 seconds, and I could hear his leg dragging. I tried really hard to find an opening to shoot through, but he got away and disappeared into the thicket on my uncle's property. I briefly thought about getting down and trying to go after him, but there was no way I could sneak up on him in that thick stuff, and I wasn't willing to bet he was unable to run. I've seen 3 legged deer before that had trouble walking, but could still run pretty well when it counted. I decided that since it's a small property with only one likely way on and off, that I would wait for him to come out in the evening. I felt obligated, and I didn't think he'd busted me, so I thought he'd definitely be back out. I texted my boss and took a sick day. Sat in the stand until dark, but he never showed. I feel like an idiot. I guess I should've rushed to shoot a little bit, but I didn't know he was wounded. I'm pretty new to the ML thing, so I was being extra careful lining up the shot. I've only started hunting with it this year, and while I killed a doe with it on opening day, I was nowhere near confident enough to try shooting through heavy brush (I wouldn't do that even with my shotgun). I've been kicking myself all day today. I don't see how he'll survive the winter, he can't paw at the ground, and I think it would be easy for coyotes to run him down. I couldn't see him well enough to see what had happened to him, but I'm guessing either a shot or a car. Hindsight is killing me on this one. Not sure why I'm posting this, just needed to get it off my chest I guess.

Skillet,  It happens but I was wondering.  Are you upset because you didn't attempt to take a wounded deer?  Are you upset because it was a nice buck?  I guess I am confused to what part is bugging you.  You did the right thing in my eyes.

Fair question. Normally, I'm ok with a deer getting by me. It sucks when you can't close the deal, but there's always another day. I've come close on big deer before and had them give me the slip. This one hurts because I know he's out there suffering and I was really close to putting him out of it. Do I want to kill a big buck? Hell yeah, and anybody who says they don't is lying. But, I don't see finishing off a gimped buck as any kind of trophy or accomplishment. I think it's just the right thing to do. I don't care what the deer is, if it's wounded that bad I think we're obligated to finish it. It sucks to see any deer like that. I don't think the size of the rack has much to do with the way I feel about him.

• Like 3

We got him! We hunted him several days last week with no sightings. Saturday morning, I went to hunt a different property with my son, & my girlfriend hunted the stand at my uncle's. On her way out after the morning hunt, she noticed fresh tracks in the snow with an obvious drag mark, leading up into the bedding area. She called me, & we decided to go after him. The plan was that she would post at the end of the thicket, and I would ease through, trying to gently push him to her. My son went with her because it's illegal for a kid to drive, and I wanted to be as sneaky as possible. I slowly worked into the thicket, zig zagging back and forth toward her. The snow was soft, and I made very little noise. About 1/3 of the way through, I looked up to see him watching me from his bed, 20 yards from me. I cocked the hammer and killed him with a neck shot. He never got out of the bed. Walking up to him, I realized what a mess he was. I'm pretty sure it was a gunshot wound on his shoulder. I could smell his wound from 15 feet downwind, it was full of gangrene. His neck was nothing but skin and bone, His shoulders & hips were thin and his spine was sticking out. It was sad to see such an animal in that shape. When I went to pull him out, the antlers both pulled off with very little force. She said that a stressed or injured deer will lose their antlers early. It definitely wasn't any kind of hunt to be proud of, but I know we did the right thing. I'm glad he's not out there like that anymore. This was a real reminder for me of what can happen when we make a poor shot. Obviously the meat is no good, but that's not important on this one. He's definitely not a 10 point like I thought, but like I said, he was in very thick brush when I first saw him. I don't care at all about the rack anyway. Thankful my killer girlfriend was paying attention, and that our efforts paid off.

post-1188-0-54811000-1418683155_thumb.jp

post-1188-0-36088800-1418683531_thumb.jp

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 11

Great Job!  A few things.  How tough are these animals - wow!!!  The instinct to survive is incredible.  Also, you don't have to justify at all.  As hunters we head into the woods not knowing what to expect.  Everyday is different from the next and that's what I love so much!  Congrats!!!

• Like 2

Good for you man!

That would be more rewarding to me than just killing any other ol' buck.

Glad you decided to target him and finish what someone else couldn't.

THAT has got to make you feel pretty damn good at the end of the day...., but doubling my load and charge recipe may have been a little overkill,lol

Display those antlers proud bud!

• Like 1

Good job on this.  Way to stay with it. I did not know it was illegal for kids to drive. I am not able to find the regulation about this. Anyone have a link to this so I can lookup the particulars? thanks.

"Q: Can I take my young child (or an unlicensed person) with me while I am deer hunting?

A: Yes, and we highly recommend it! Just make sure the child (or unlicensed person) is not hunting or assisting in any aspect of the hunt (like driving deer). Bring an extra pair of binoculars and plenty of snacks. Have a good time!"

-It's in the FAQ section of the hunting page, on the DEC site.

Edited by Skillet