Looks like there may just be statewide Antler Restricts.

Four Season Whitetail's

As was I. Can't tell age by a quick look right before a shot.

If we're just talking about any deer I think it's fairly easy to tell what is a yearling of either sex. I probably wouldn't make this claim early on in my career or before I started bow hunting, but it's pretty easy even glossing a field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For all the reasons you believe that I think you need to realize for some it's about antler points.

The more big bucks you get the more you might feel that way too. Not a guarantee but it might just happen.

Figures I'd show up right about now....................

I have killed plenty of good bucks and lots of little ones.  The big bucks haven't meant all that much honestly.  Sure, at the time its a hoot but I'd say the buck that means the most to me was the 217lb dressed brute I killed with the bow a few years ago.  He shattered all "records" that we have kept in camp for 50+ years.  

I can go out in my garage or basement and you could point to just about any of the racks and I could tell you the story about that hunt.  Might even be a twinkle in my eye at the time............... :)

Have I ever mentioned the 150 lb dressed doe from Holland NY I killed?  She was special in so many ways to me.

Funny thing; they all are special.

They ALL are very special to me.

• Like 1

I have killed plenty of good bucks and lots of little ones.  The big bucks haven't meant all that much honestly.  Sure, at the time its a hoot but I'd say the buck that means the most to me was the 217lb dressed brute I killed with the bow a few years ago.  He shattered all "records" that we have kept in camp for 50+ years.  

I can go out in my garage or basement and you could point to just about any of the racks and I could tell you the story about that hunt.  Might even be a twinkle in my eye at the time............... :)

Have I ever mentioned the 150 lb dressed doe from Holland NY I killed?  She was special in so many ways to me.

There must still be a few more deer that you've killed that haven't meant much to you that you haven't told us about yet . :)

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

There must still be a few more deer that you've killed that haven't meant much to you that you haven't told us about yet . :)

I'm thinking of starting a web site dedicated to big doe & little bucks. I can tell all my stories and solicit more from like thinking true hunters.

Relax.......I'm kidding

:)

I would think anyone can point out a yearling. I think I can

Yearling or fawn?

Both. And if ARs are to protect that age class the. I guess the argument confuses me. Yes mistakes will be made and yes not all deer fit into nice little buckets, but overall they address what they're meant to do.

I have killed plenty of good bucks and lots of little ones. The big bucks haven't meant all that much honestly. Sure, at the time its a hoot but I'd say the buck that means the most to me was the 217lb dressed brute I killed with the bow a few years ago. He shattered all "records" that we have kept in camp for 50+ years.

I can go out in my garage or basement and you could point to just about any of the racks and I could tell you the story about that hunt. Might even be a twinkle in my eye at the time............... :)

Have I ever mentioned the 150 lb dressed doe from Holland NY I killed? She was special in so many ways to me.

Never said they weren't all special. I almost threw my arm out with my fist pump this year after finally scoring my first deer on public land in the south. A small doe was all she was. Meant even more than the 9 point a few weeks later because I had just proved to ME that I could do it all from start to finish by myself.

Hell the young doe taste soooo much better than the rutty old bucks. My first deer ever was a small 6. The memory and the bear hug from dad is one of the best moments in my life. The stories go on and on for me too. But there are some doe mixed in over the years that have faded. I have no object to trigger the memory. Just how the human brain works. Sights, smells, sounds etc. they all trigger memories.

Both. And if ARs are to protect that age class the. I guess the argument confuses me. Yes mistakes will be made and yes not all deer fit into nice little buckets, but overall they address what they're meant to do.

You guys were talking about quickly pointing out a yearling.

Was looking for the definition of a yearling.

Never said they weren't all special.  I know, I didn't meant to insinuate that.

Hell the young doe taste soooo much better than the rutty old bucks. I can't really tell the difference.  Sometimes I get a chewy backstrap but I think that is the cooks fault  :)

Less than a year, weighing 50-80lbs. the ones you can throw over your shoulder. usually the ones who are willing to look right at you in the stand and not spook off. its easy to identify the young dumb ones...

I hunted Montauk L.I. a few years ago...shot a 2.5 year old spike that weighed 51 pounds.....what category does that deer fall into?

Reading through all the posts and this is a good conversation. It leads me to the conclusion is why?  What traumatic event is causing the AR proposals?  Nothing that I can see and I believe this whole AR nonsense is more about nicer racks to the taxidermist than it is harvesting older deer. 

Less than a year, weighing 50-80lbs. the ones you can throw over your shoulder. usually the ones who are willing to look right at you in the stand and not spook off. its easy to identify the young dumb ones...

I always thought that deer less than a year old were fawns, and deer between 1 and two years old were yearlings.

Fawns, in my experience, are very tender but quite bland in flavor, like veal..

I am not a big fan of either, with the exception of osso buco, which is the only veal dish that I really enjoy...

As far as deer go, I prefer deer that are 1.5 years or older, because they are more flavorful and yield more meat than fawns..

I agree with pygmy 1 year and up to 2. Remember they are usually.born in spring so by second hunting season are 1.5 or older depending when they were born april,may,june....accoring to the dictionary an animal such as a horse between 1 and 2 years old

Edited by G-Man

[...] The stories go on and on for me too. But there are some doe mixed in over the years that have faded. I have no object to trigger the memory. Just how the human brain works. Sights, smells, sounds etc. they all trigger memories.

I don't want to derail this too much so I will be brief; If you have the room for it, I find that a free way to get a cleaned skull is to deflesh as much as possible and then bury (and mark the spot) for a year; microbes will do the majority of the hard work. Not as pretty as a beetle-cleaned or cooked skull but they clean up pretty nice if you don't mind a slightly weathered look. I like to remember my does this way. It's okay if this isn't for you (obviously this won't work for everyone, especially if the ground is frozen when you take your doe or if you have a lot of determined scavengers) but I just wanted to mention it as an idea.