Looks like there may just be statewide Antler Restricts.

Four Season Whitetail's

Many may not know this, but there are AR's on certain DEP lands in Putnam County (3N) right now and they are based on inches among other things:

the following conditions apply to all hunters over 17 years of age and will be enforced:

• Only does may be harvested on the following days – no bucks may be taken on these days:
    • The first two days of bow season;
    • The first two days of regular gun season;
    • The first two days of muzzleloader season.
  • On all other days of the legal hunting season, bucks may be harvested to meet these requirements:
    • Antler spread of at least 15 inches in width and /or,
    • Minimum of three points on a side greater than one inch long, excluding brow tines.
  • Hunters are encouraged to harvest does over bucks throughout the season. If you harvest a doe on any City hunting area, you can enter the lottery drawing to win a great prize from DEP.

Surcharge the fines or increase them to fund more staffing. The Feds moved some of OSHA's fine structure to fund their boots on the ground efforts. Can't see why that wouldn't work.

I'm sure it could, but the funding state of affairs for the agency is so bleak that I suspect it would go to rectify that before making any tangible difference in workforce development. Likely a good idea to at least starting the ball rolling on though.

WHOAAAAAA SEA BISCUIT!

I just re-read the current issue (12/26) of the New York Outdoor News. Can you please tell me where this information is? I didn't see it the first time through, or the second. The next issue is the end of this week.

People start getting them as early as the Monday/Tuesday before the Friday issue date.

Don't ask me how I know, because I know, lol.

your trohphy hunters are what pays for the tags. Who honestly hunts because their wives shrubs are being eaten? with the exception of farmers hardly any of you are hunting because you want to control the heard.

We agreed on this forum a while ago not to judge hunters for why they hunt. If he hunts for horns we have to respect that. I hunt for horns too... after my freezer is full.

I had more trouble hunting young doe on public land than mature bucks on private. It's all relative. I don't believe you have to be one or the other. You're simply a hunter. You should be in it for your own reasons and follow the rules while you're doing it... even if you don't like them.

"Trophy" hunters pay for tags just as much as meat hunters. As far as what "church" hunters belong to, there's not a real good break down is there? 

I don't judge anyone for why they hunt (and know you're not saying I did). Like religion or politics I hate when people believe that their way is the only way and preach it, and do so in a self-righteous , judgemental fashion. 

Many of us were around for party permits and such and we were OK by those rules. But when I am expected to identify a buck, and count points, measure inches, and such its just too much. I'm an older guy and still walk and by God, I know a buck when I see one and can shoot it as it gets up. That won't happen counting points. It happens when you sit in a stand and wait.  

As far as following the rules I don't agree with? They're changing the rules due to lobbying and that's politics, not herd management. 

• Like 4

If they have a one buck or AR, I will so enjoy catching the neighborhood slobs who can't resist shooting every running animal they see. With AR (which I don't feel is a good statewide solution), it would force identification. And with one buck, it might also make them think twice before lobbing their shots and make them decide if they want that buck. 

• Like 2

Same here, Bubba. I usually only score a doe tag once every 2-3 years via preference points. When I don't draw a doe tag, I pray to take a buck- any legal buck- because the venison is very important to my family. Would I like a larger buck? Of course, there is more meat on those guys, but any buck is blessing to us. It's very hard for us to afford to travel much to other parts of the state that have more DMPs to give out.

The state is too large and diverse in terms of habitat, population, and deer herd to fairly implement statewide, "one-size-fits-all" AR. But I suppose that is just my opinion, and it hardly matters...

In a situation where deer density is so low and bucks are rare, it makes even the smallest of bucks a challenge and it's all relative. In that situation, if fork horns or 6pts are rare, I'd call it a challenge and harvest it too. 

I hope you were able to get meat in the freezer! 

• Like 1

Why not just outlaw hunting or send DEC a picture and ask if you can shoot the deer in front of you lol.......ya shorten southern gun season......yay we will have a week lol......better give out more does tags before I shoot a certain size buck.....I'm a meat hunter not trophy.....I get a trophy when it naturally happens

No they'll just use ...moms...sister...girlfriend ....or wife's tags...and you can bet that there will be an influx of woman and kids getting their hunter safety course in...even little "Johnny" with carpal tunnel from all the gaming he does and the Lily white skin from lack of sun. Now the shed hunters should be happy...for there should end up being plenty of full racks out there to pick up....you know the ones....crap!.....it looked bigger...then walking away.....there will be a thriving healthy predator population I'm sure lots of free meals...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

In a situation where deer density is so low and bucks are rare, it makes even the smallest of bucks a challenge and it's all relative. In that situation, if fork horns or 6pts are rare, I'd call it a challenge and harvest it too. 

I hope you were able to get meat in the freezer! 

Thank you! I wasn't able to connect this year (didn't draw a doe tag and no bucks sighted). A family friend took a small late season doe and gifted her to us, we were very thankful.

I can count points, but how the heck is anyone supposed to be able to accurately judge inches? obviously it's done, but gotta be tricky.

they give you a diagram. basically you're looking at rack out to the ears or past the nose. I can't imagine trying to do it on a buck without real good conditions or one where it could be iffy. The one I got this year was clearly legal. I think that's why some states go with points instead... my concern would be the guy who measures out to 9.5... then is worried about getting in trouble so he might not tag it. It's certainly a flawed system.

You just described nearly all the 2.5's in 7J. How will making them the main target get any bucks to maturity?

Oh I know... while we know 2.5's aren't mature I still think they're shooters for most. I don't believe the goal is that we're all shooting mature bucks. 3.5's are hard to kill. They'll go nocturnal quick, and they spook easy. I think the goal is to get past the spindly racks.

I will continue to shoot this 2.5 year old type of buck I shot last year for many years to come until I'm old and retired or with a lot more time. I think most 20 and 30 somethings are in the same boat.

016_zpse20b255f.jpg

The point problem comes with another 8 pointer I shot 3 years prior on the same land... The ARs dont really work here... but for my third season ever of bow hunting he was definitly a shooter. I was not a youth so this is where I struggle with ARs. A bow hunter has to cut his teeth. It's hard to cure buck fever for a bow hunter on doe.

100_1756.jpg

Edited by Belo

No they'll just use ...moms...sister...girlfriend ....or wife's tags...and you can bet that there will be an influx of woman and kids getting their hunter safety course in...even little "Johnny" with carpal tunnel from all the gaming he does and the Lily white skin from lack of sun. Now the shed hunters should be happy...for there should end up being plenty of full racks out there to pick up....you know the ones....crap!.....it looked bigger...then walking away.....there will be a thriving healthy predator population I'm sure lots of free meals...

I disagree with the poacher comment. Anybody who you think is going to get extra tags is already doing it. The ARs change nothing.

• Like 1

I bet if you pulled bowhunters you'd probably see the majority would be in favor. Wouldn't be a landslide or anything, but generally bow hunters are after bigger deer. Spending a lot of time and money and not out to shoot a spike and will fill their freezers with doe.

I'd love to see the research where you pulled that info... I'll bet that almost every hunter is after bigger deer... but don't shoot just bigger deer...

I would be in favor of a one buck and one doe per hunter per season rule ....you choose your weapon...of course AR's would be determined by WMU.I know a few guys who start out with the bow and if they get a buck their done, if not they keep hunting thru the gun season till they do.. And not to hyjack this thread but what we also REALLY need is a 1 gobbler per hunter per season rule (jakes included).

• Like 1

Settle it all, Allow a 3 points on one side rule, And for all you "meat" hunters, go to an earn a buck program, No buck tag until you harvest a set number of does, Of course thats in areas that need a large doe population removal program, One buck a year would be nice, I never shoot more than one anyway, Bucks are few and far between during gun season, Most of the ones i see are little bucks and out of them the majority would still fall with in the AR standard, Everbody would be Happy, Happy, Happy the state gets the funds for licences and you get your deer,

I would be in favor of a one buck and one doe per hunter per season rule ....you choose your weapon...of course AR's would be determined by WMU.I know a few guys who start out with the bow and if they get a buck their done, if not they keep hunting thru the gun season till they do.. And not to hyjack this thread but what we also REALLY need is a 1 gobbler per hunter per season rule (jakes included).

Does that mean we would get to pick when we want to go out in a a general season? so I could hunt the heaviest part of rut with my gun?

I'd love to see the research where you pulled that info... I'll bet that almost every hunter is after bigger deer... but don't shoot just bigger deer...

I'm sorry where did I say it was a stat? I clearly used the word "bet". Every hunter wants bigger deer sure, I just believe archers want it more. A gun only hunter gives up 2 months and the rut... How bad do you really want it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should there be restriction on your own property? The place you pay taxes on, care for, payed a mortgage on, the place I run a business, pay business taxes out of my @as, employe people?

Yes, because it's a shared resource. You want to over harvest or wound every tree you own on your property... go for it. 

I too own a large business, pay large taxes... has nothing to do with it. 

A one buck rule would help more bucks reach maturity than any ARs. Think about it; you're bowhunting downstate in late October and a decent 8 you normally would have shot walks up. He's not fully mature, maybe a 3 year old. You have your yearly Adirondack trip planned for the 2nd week of November coming up. If you shoot the 3 year old 8 you won't be able to hunt in the 'Dacks. Hmmmm..... there will be a lot of hunters that would pass because they don't want to end their season early.

I've hunted OH and MN, both one buck states. Trust me, the mature buck density is a LOT higher than in NY and the buck to doe ratio is a LOT better. MN's gun season starts the end of the 1st week of November too.

I like the idea of ARs for selfish reasons, but also understand that other hunters don't look at deer hunting and bucks the way I do. If I had to choose a OBR or ARs, I'd go with the OBR.

• Like 3

The season in the north is way to long i believe.Like 3 months between all seasons. Most good deer cant be harvested after being chased around that long. Need to shorten or even split season. The southern tier is perfect in my opinion. I am self imposed Ar of course but also hunt Ar state land so that and 1 buck rule would be fine. If i found a buck to lift my skirt i would harvest and be done. I would spend the rest of the year having a blast chasing a few does around,spend more time duck hunting or whatever. So it would really free up some time. Now if i chase and find a mature buck with the bow i have to do it again with the gun. My choice yes but to go out and kill 2 mature bucks a year takes some doing, so myself, i would have no problem with some changes.