Looks like there may just be statewide Antler Restricts.

Four Season Whitetail's

Why wouldn't a hunter go to some of these home owners associations and lay out a plan to rid these ppl  of some of their deer problems....offering the use of bows...whether compound or x-bow...setting up a schedule that would fit all concerned and taking only doe and for food banks, if that makes them feel better about it. Going to one of the monthly association meetings well dressed and with at least one person in said association on your side from the get go...if they worry about the kids and or them not wanting to see dead deer...offer a time when most won't be around...I don't care who you are $$$ speaks pretty loud in the end and they are loosing it to deer now...the new set back rules would help but if you have permission from the group in writing even that's a moot point...unless the city or town have laws in place...

I don't believe in antler restrictions...I figured hunters were..are... doing a good job restricting them self's...though this year not so much...even I lowered my standards in taking that 6pt...the problem is...that 6pt would have been legal with antler restrictions any how...that tiny 7pt rack I found someone shot...would have made it legal in antler restrictions. The one buck rule...kinda goes against trying to get rid of deer...there are still a lot of hunters out there that won't shoot doe...going to one buck isn't going to change that and will lower the # of deer taken over all not by tons...what is the % of hunters that bag 2 anyways?...then there is the increase in buck...how many of you saw great one racked deer this season...that got a pass...and why did we see so many one racked buck...increased  number of big buck fighting. You think these buck will be more careful in their fights just for us hunters....... when we are helping to increase their opponents? :rolleyes:  How many of you are going to take  bucks that are one sided or busted up? I know I pass them.... 

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Just curious if, hypothetically, you had the power to vote in a one buck rule... Would you?

A one buck rule...it depends if I was givin a guaranteed doe tag for my residence wma for reg season then yes I would absolutely. If not idk bc if i aarowed a buck that's the only way I can continue hunting without driving for hours is durring reg season bc I have a buck tag.

I personally would be fine with whatever happens. I just follow the rules and hunt. I don't shoot does. When I hunt PA it's 3 to a side. If NY goes to ARs or a 1 buck rule, I will just follow the rules and keep hunting. The last 2 years I passed smaller bucks in hopes of getting a bigger one. To me, it's like fishing, I just follow the limits and that's that. Sometimes I keep my limit, sometimes I throw them all back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is fine until they rule us right out of the game.  Sometime we need to stand  up

• Like 1

Antler restricts on bow only( Bowhunters will see that that does not fly)

I bet if you pulled bowhunters you'd probably see the majority would be in favor. Wouldn't be a landslide or anything, but generally bow hunters are after bigger deer. Spending a lot of time and money and not out to shoot a spike and will fill their freezers with doe.

• Like 3

I'm gonna just say this...i don't think the dec should tell me how big or how many points a deer should have for me to shoot you can't eat the rack so I don't care if it's got 2 or 20 it will taste the same to me. They tell me when and how many I can shoot fine but don't tell me I can't shot a 4 pt bc the guy down the road wants to shoot 10 pts every year bc I don't care I hunt for fun and for meat not for trophys. Sure shooting a big one is great of course but do I want to have to pass on filling my freezer just bc guy down the road wants big ones no that's not right...deer is deer no matter how big the rack is. IMO

the DEC already tells you a lot of things. I also firmly believe that if deer were to magically lose their antlers you'd see 70% of hunters give it up. I hunt for meat first. But I love a rack. While it does not apply to some parts of the state, shooting a doe is usually easier and better tasting.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. These "trophy" folks are well organized and loud.  To me it's like arguing religion and politics. I have not shot a spike or 4 point in years, but as the season winds down and my freezer is empty.... I could, easily. 

I like the fact that I can hunt from 9/27 through the week before Christmas. I live within walking distance of the western boundary and 1.5 miles of the southern boundary of the northern tier.  All I need is more land to hunt. 

I feel pretty strongly that these proposed restrictions will NOT add to my hunting experience. 

the trophy folks are what has helped keep hunting going. Organization and money are very powerful. Look at crossbows for an example. The NRA is another example. While we may not all agree with their methods and all their ideas and goals, they generally help the sport. The outdoor and sportsman channel and all the magazines would not make money if hunters weren't interested in "trophies". I'd bet my Heuer that meat hunters don't read a lot of magazines and watch a lot of shows. They've most likely had their skills passed down to them. They do the same thing they've always done and they kill deer every year. Sometimes they get big bucks, but they're not running out and spending hundreds or thousands on gear.

At this point with NY hunters barely keeping up with population control of whitetails... any restrictions that could result in less participation or decreases in hunting interest... would be counter productive. Reducing the number of buck tags and /or the length of the season will light the fuse... add in AR's and the whole thing will blow up. Everyone just needs to shut up and hunt.

Look at Kentucky as a case study. the one buck rule brought that state back and it's now a destination for many out of state hunters. While the first few years of ARs will suck, i believe the end game will see better bucks and more interested hunters.

One buck rule is pure jealousy...Statistically close to 0 actual impact on buck #s.

Imho

your humble opinion is not fact, but studies in Kentucky are. do some research and get back to me

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

the DEC already tells you a lot of things. I also firmly believe that if deer were to magically lose their antlers you'd see 70% of hunters give it up. I hunt for meat first. But I love a rack. While it does not apply to some parts of the state, shooting a doe is usually easier and better tasting.

the trophy folks are what has helped keep hunting going. Organization and money are very powerful. Look at crossbows for an example. The NRA is another example. While we may not all agree with their methods and all their ideas and goals, they generally help the sport. The outdoor and sportsman channel and all the magazines would not make money if hunters weren't interested in "trophies". I'd bet my Heuer that meat hunters don't read a lot of magazines and watch a lot of shows. They've most likely had their skills passed down to them. They do the same thing they've always done and they kill deer every year. Sometimes they get big bucks, but they're not running out and spending hundreds or thousands on gear.

Look at Kentucky as a case study. the one buck rule brought that state back and it's now a destination for many out of state hunters. While the first few years of ARs will suck, i believe the end game will see better bucks and more interested hunters.

agreed

I've been trying to hold out for bigger bucks lately, but maybe because of people like you & comments like that, I'll shoot the next forkie I see, just because I can. "Entitled"? You're damn right people should be entitled to shoot whatever deer they want. Everyone pays for a license, why should you be "entitled" to say how they use it? If you want to hunt for racks, good for you. Buy your own land and implement AR on it, but why should you have any say over public land or especially someone else's private land? Meat hunters are "hunters" just like the trophy guys. I'm willing to bet there's meat hunters out there who are much more skilled than you. Who's the one acting entitled?

1. you need thousands of acres to effectively implement ARs. In NY that does not exists. Trying to manage ARs on a 30 acre piece will never work unless all your surrounding hunters agree. It's not that easy.

2. Public land is one of the best places to put in ARs. Shoot the doe and maybe you might actually see some decent deer if every fork and spike isn't being mowed down.

• Like 2

I think the herd needs to be rebuilt in many areas before they begin to worry about imposing antler restrictions......The Catskills where I hunt are a prime example.

zones will be key. People in Monroe county and on the island have deer eating their shrubs. Those in the daks can go days without seeing anything brown. It's really another case of the state being vastly different throughout.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

Hell, how many hunters kill two 2.5 or older bucks in a year?? For that matter what is the % that kill two 1 1/2?

One buck rule is pure jealousy...Statistically close to 0 actual impact on buck #s.

Imho

OBR isn't always driven by buck harvest numbers, so you are looking at it from the wrong lense in this instance. OBR impacts hunter decision-making on the age class of bucks harvested. OBR states have a lower take rate of 1.5s where the soil quality is high (like parts of our state). KY, OH, IN, etc. States like Maine or NH where there are OBR rules in place because of being on the other end of the spectrum where deer numbers are crummy due to herd instability.

This is a regulation that shifts cultural thinking - the same way agencies worked on getting hunters to start shooting does.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to take two bucks a year, but OBR is something I could get behind. If not that, allow the two bucks to be taken in any season, similar to IL, but that's just based on greed, I'll admit, so in theory I could be done before the orange army invades, ha.

• Like 4

I think AR's limiting deer to having 3 on one side does not necessarily mean your taking a mature deer. Plenty of 1 year and 5 month  and 1 year and 7 month old out there that have 3 on one side. Kinda defeats the purpose of trying to promote more mature bucks when you are taking out some of the better genetics. If that is part of the route NYS is thinking.

• Like 1

I would be against the one buck rule.  If I shoot a 8 on LI with the bow that would mean no hunting with rifle in the ADK?  Makes no sense.  I purchased a bow tag to be able to shoot one with my bow, rifle tag for another. 

Even though I trophy hunt I am against AR, let us shoot what we want.  AR's do not improve the deer herd they only help yearling mortality. 

• Like 3

I personally would be fine with whatever happens. I just follow the rules and hunt. I don't shoot does. When I hunt PA it's 3 to a side. If NY goes to ARs or a 1 buck rule, I will just follow the rules and keep hunting. The last 2 years I passed smaller bucks in hopes of getting a bigger one. To me, it's like fishing, I just follow the limits and that's that. Sometimes I keep my limit, sometimes I throw them all back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you & pops had 100 acres an hour from home you might rethink that.  Maybe you had a little camp there and your future wife loved going up........maybe you really got into hunting with a vertical bow and really enjoyed your rifles, maybe you really enjoyed venison and so did your wife.

Maybe you wanted to shoot a couple doe and a couple bucks during the wonderfully long seasons here in NYS. . 

Maybe you shot a decent buck October 5th with your bow and then couldn't shoot another with the gun during the next almost 2.5 months of deer seasons.  Sure, you can shoot some doe but you put so much time and effort into food plots, camera set ups, tree stands, scent proofing your gear, travel, taxes etc. that you'd really like to hunt for a big buck (or spiker) but you can't.

You and pops have a very small core area to hunt and a bigger chunk of woods (or a wife that enjoyed the heck out of that dynamite free range venison!) could completely change your mind.

Just a thought........ :)

• Like 3

I would be against the one buck rule.  If I shoot a 8 on LI with the bow that would mean no hunting with rifle in the ADK?  Makes no sense.  I purchased a bow tag to be able to shoot one with my bow, rifle tag for another. 

Even though I trophy hunt I am against AR, let us shoot what we want.  AR's do not improve the deer herd they only help yearling mortality. 

You wouldn't be buying a bow tag or a gun tag. You'd buy a buck tag, good for any season. Just one tag, not two.

Who knows, maybe OBR isn't statewide...maybe its regional or something. Or maybe you can decide not to shoot the 8 if you want to tote the rifle to the 'dacks. Greed is a tough thing to swallow, especially when what you want is being taken away from what you have, whether it makes sense or not. I'm in the same boat. I damn near despise shooting my buck in bow most years because I usually have vacation time left and I'm out of the game for the most part. Would love to take that second buck tag and continue to hunt with the bow for a buck. Not sure what the rationale is on the division of seasonal tags - probably breeding, and "unfairness" to gun-only hunters, I digress.

So much for it being about population control.  Sound to me like the DEC is catering to trophy hunting vs deer management.

For me its not about being greedy and wanting 2 bucks it is about paying for a lifetime license that said I had 2 separate tags.  One paid for to hunt with a bow and a separate one I paid to hunt with a rifle. 

• Like 5

1. you need thousands of acres to effectively implement ARs. In NY that does not exists. Trying to manage ARs on a 30 acre piece will never work unless all your surrounding hunters agree. It's not that easy.

2. Public land is one of the best places to put in ARs. Shoot the doe and maybe you might actually see some decent deer if every fork and spike isn't being mowed down.

Takes 1000's of acres? Public land is the best place? The license fees and taxes from meat hunters pay for the same state land as that of the rack hunters.

I have a couple of thoughts on the matter: First, the DEC ENCON dept. is SO UNDERSTAFFED as it is, they can not possibly enforce the regs that are currently in place!!! I know numerous people (average joe hunters) who shoot multiple bucks every season on other people's tags. I also know of a few scumbags who "night hunt" and they kill nice bucks every season (they did this past season too). There is little deterrent for them to stop. Two years ago a group of "punks" was shooting deer at night with a .22 on one farm I hunt. We found three dead bucks left to lay in the fields. I brought the DEC to the farm to check things out and I don't believe they ever followed up on it. Who can blame them; I just scanned the reg book and there are only 3 ECOs on duty in Steuben County (the 7th largest county in the state covering nearly 1400 square miles). On the other hand there are 17 listed ECOs for tiny little Suffolk County!!! The marine resources must take precedence over the rest of the state.

On a personal level, I consider myself a "trophy meat hunter"...I hold out for bucks that are 3.5 years old and enjoy shooting does for the freezer. As a result, I've eaten quite a few bucks tags over the years along with a lot of tasty doe meat. For the past few years my favorite part of deer hunting has been watching bucks grow up on my trail cams...it's amazing to see what they can turn into with age. I get more exciting about the bucks that make it through season than the tags I punch. Only being able to shoot one buck doesn't make a difference to me. The DEC is not going to manage the deer herd any better. Our doe numbers (8P/8R) are way down but they keep throwing out more doe tags and people think they need to fill all of them. Two DEC technicians came to "age" the deer at my families meat cooler this past season. While trying to age the deer they didn't even cut the hide my the jaws to see the teeth...they simply stuck their fingers in the deer's mouth and felt the teeth,,,yet they were confident enough to blurt out answers like 2.5 or 5.5. One of the female technicians told my dad and uncle that the big bodied spike that was there was a yearling (correct) but it never would have amounted to anything because it's first set of antlers was not multi-branched!!!" What a JOKE!!!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

If you & pops had 100 acres an hour from home you might rethink that.  Maybe you had a little camp there and your future wife loved going up........maybe you really got into hunting with a vertical bow and really enjoyed your rifles, maybe you really enjoyed venison and so did your wife.

Maybe you wanted to shoot a couple doe and a couple bucks during the wonderfully long seasons here in NYS. . 

Maybe you shot a decent buck October 5th with your bow and then couldn't shoot another with the gun during the next almost 2.5 months of deer seasons.  Sure, you can shoot some doe but you put so much time and effort into food plots, camera set ups, tree stands, scent proofing your gear, travel, taxes etc. that you'd really like to hunt for a big buck (or spiker) but you can't.

You and pops have a very small core area to hunt and a bigger chunk of woods (or a wife that enjoyed the heck out of that dynamite free range venison!) could completely change your mind.

Just a thought........ :)

In all honesty, even if I had tons of land, I would never shoot does. I don't care about venison that much. I understand other people feel differently and that's fine.

So much for it being about population control.  Sound to me like the DEC is catering to trophy hunting vs deer management.

For me its not about being greedy and wanting 2 bucks it is about paying for a lifetime license that said I had 2 separate tags.  One paid for to hunt with a bow and a separate one I paid to hunt with a rifle. 

Substantial population control doesn't happen from buck harvest anyways. It happens with doe harvest.

I remember long ago the bow "stamp" bought you the privilege to hunt with a bow and I don't think it originally gave you another deer. It was quite some time but IIRC that is how it was.

• Like 1

In all honesty, even if I had tons of land, I would never shoot does. I don't care about venison that much. I understand other people feel differently and that's fine.

So you have no interest in actual resource management for the health of the herd? Maybe  provide some venison donations. It's all about a trophy to mount?

The conservation fund is suffereing,a one buck rule would make it suffer more as I would buy my bow tag and if it was filled I wouldn't buy a gun tag. As would many others, dec won't do that as $ makes their jobs. As for AR everywhere, they seem to be,allowing counties to decide that for themselves.

here we are, arguing religion and politics again. 

I do like the folks that want to distinguish between the "meat hunter" and the "trophy hunter" 

If you truly want to master hunting hunt a 4.5-5.5 year old doe. She doesn't ever get stupid cause she needs get breed.  But that would make you a meat hunter. 

Or go up into the high tug hill or Adirondacks and find a 2.5 year old spike with 12 inch horns, ooops, can't shoot him.... when its the only buck I've seen up there in 3 years?  C'mon. 

Hunting should be what you take out of it and television, with their advertisers are destroying the camaraderie that should be an integral part of the sport. It's gone folks, right now it's ME, ME ME, My and I.

• Like 5