No more hunt classes...

growalot

All GMs went through a facelift/remodel to the new store design. This included the guns going behind the counter.

If the store hasn't gone through a remodel and is not with the new design, it will be. The Rochester one has been redesigned.

but the room they let us use was the employee meeting room in the back of the store, not in the merchandise area. They use it regularly.  I guess it needs to be full of employees daily to be useful.  I dont know

That's better. Rather different when it's a room at the front of the building for such purpose or the archery lanes (that aren't used any longer).

You seem intent to yeah but this into infinity so I'll just say you win. Happy?

I guess I was just wondering why a room that is left empty was costing so much for them to give a class in.  Since you can not explain it , I guess it does not matter.  i was not treying to win anything, and it seems you are the one who wants to win and never be questioned.  Now have a nice day.  Go play with your minions

I guess I was just wondering why a room that is left empty was costing so much for them to give a class in.  Since you can not explain it , I guess it does not matter.  i was not treying to win anything, and it seems you are the one who wants to win and never be questioned.  Now have a nice day.  Go play with your minions

You know everything about everything, even when you don't know anything on a topic.

Several other people here have commented on understanding the financial breakdowns I have provided in this thread as to the business rationale. You on the other hand, seem to be slow to seeing that. If you can't understand that an EMPTY ROOM costs money in a brick and mortar retail space, I don't know what to tell you at this point, I really don't.

Have a good one Bubba.

Edited by phade

Another thread turned into a bickering match.

Oh wait, that's what  you usually say!

:)

• Like 1

Sorry I pointed out the foolish reasoning. I guess I do not know as much as the great phase. I bow to the master.

phade, not phase.  :)

Oh lighten up bubba.  We have bigger fish to fry than 'Ol Gander Mountain and their shenanigans.  :)

Save your range and energy for something bigger.  Somebody else will pick up the slack in Hunter Ed classes in Rochester.

Thanks for your service as an instructor..

so an empty room costs less than having a voluntary group use that empty room for free classes?? nothing is sold out of that room that's not being sold when its being used as a class right? lol

And thats why Gander is getting rid of the classes. To sell stuff in the space where there was only an expense.

Anyone can take the course on line now. No need to go anywhere. So all the places that used to hold the classes are more or less becoming obsolete.

It is what it is.

With all the hunters who openly admit they would break the regulations/laws, it's better that they pass the "Hunter Education Course" on line, for archery and firearm.

Why would any store keep allowing it?

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
edited for language

Any  can take the course on line now. No need to go anywhere. So all the places that used to hold the classes are more or less becoming obsolete.

It is what it is.

With all the hunters who openly admit they would break the regulations/laws, it's better that they pass the "Hunter Education Course" on line, for archery and firearm.

Why would any store keep allowing it?

Did you take your on line?

I thought part was on line but still had to take a class?

Gander was great and then seemingly overnight the hunter products decreased and their boots and camping section grew. Maybe there was a good reason. Maybe they were losing share and thought the switch would set them apart and keep them going but that place is a complete joke now. I got a good deal 4 years ago on a mossberg 835 and some out of season clearance. Last time I saw anything worth buying there. Even got the same kayak for almost $300 cheaper at Dicks so their camping push isn't working either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you take your on line?

I thought part was on line but still had to take a class?

Last time I checked you could take a combo course that covered bow and hunting and prep work was online. Condensed class. This was a few years ago so maybe it's changed. Rob seems pretty angry all the time. I feel for him.

Last time I checked you could take a combo course that covered bow and hunting and prep work was online. Condensed class. This was a few years ago so maybe it's changed. Rob seems pretty angry all the time. I feel for him.

I'm pretty sure it's like you said, and only offered like that in select areas......yeah, all that time spent drawing cartoons can really wear on a man.

Sorry I pointed out the foolish reasoning. I guess I do not know as much as the great phase. I bow to the master.

You've never once backed down. You clash with some of us because you're the same. You're very knowledgable on a lot of topics like a lot of us are. Unfortunately when you get caught with your pants down in unfamiliar waters you turn on a defense mode instead of just letting it go.

I'll never go to gander mtn again. Their prices / selection were never that great & the removal of all the taxidermy was the last straw for me. It's like they want our $ for hunting stuff, but they don't want to be associated with the sport. Nothing like deserting your customer base. Hopefully they go under.

Edited by Skillet

You need to take the thought process up one level - why pay overhead for an empty room? Now you have to hold a class just to try to make up for the operating expense of an empty room. Instead of selling to turn a profit, you are selling to balance a deficit that you didn't have to have in the first place.

And so, the question now is, is the space now used to sell merchandise or is it still an empty room with exactly the same overhead, still with no income. The last time I was there the space was essentially still empty and unused and whatever overhead that space was costing was unchanged whether it was used for public activities or just sitting there empty. I will admit that it has been quite a while since I wasted my time trying to shop there and as a matter of fact, the last time there I didn't even look in that room that used to serve as a meeting room. In recent years it has always seemed to me that they had a hell of a time keeping their shelves stocked and the building actually used to capacity. Certainly they weren't hurting for merchandise marketing space.

At any rate, I suspect that it won't be mattering what they do. They have some real competition and soon will have even more, and I doubt that they will be of much concern for much longer.

And so, the question now is, is the space now used to sell merchandise or is it still an empty room with exactly the same overhead, still with no income. The last time I was there the space was essentially still empty and unused and whatever overhead that space was costing was unchanged whether it was used for public activities or just sitting there empty. I will admit that it has been quite a while since I wasted my time trying to shop there and as a matter of fact, the last time there I didn't even look in that room that used to serve as a meeting room. In recent years it has always seemed to me that they had a hell of a time keeping their shelves stocked and the building actually used to capacity. Certainly they weren't hurting for merchandise marketing space.

At any rate, I suspect that it won't be mattering what they do. They have some real competition and soon will have even more, and I doubt that they will be of much concern for much longer.

Pretty sure the footwear is there now. Room doesn't exist.

I think alot of that inventory issue was due to the planned store redesign. While Gander Mtn. still sucks, their stock levels have been consistently better post redesign. I believe they are now using JIT methodology or something similar.

Edited by phade

Pretty sure the footwear is there now. Room doesn't exist.

I think alot of that inventory issue was due to the planned store redesign. While Gander Mtn. still sucks, their stock levels have been consistently better post redesign. I believe they are now using JIT methodology or something similar.

Yes, their inventory re-stocking philosophy has been JTL (just too late), for several years, until it finally got to the point where I refused to shop there anymore. A 50 minute one-way ride only to find out they didn't have even common items in stock. I even called one time before heading up and was lied to about availability.

But anyway, if the space is being used for legitimate sales, it is hard to argue with that decision. After all, they aren't expected to be running a public service. Public relations activities can often be justified, but when a business is fighting for their lives, that is pretty much a luxury that can't be expected. And I do believe they are fighting for their lives.