Cutting the Cord

GreeneHunter

Well my wife and I have decided to cut the Cable Cord for our TV and are going with DirectTV !  Its being installed this saturday and then when everything works OK we"ll call the cable company and tell them to entice us to keep them as our Internet provider !  Any thoughts / opinions ?  Any one else here on or were on DirectTV  .... suggestions ?

We are going with a Firestick...I cut everything when the kids were very little....rabbit ears and the net

We got a Fire TV this last Christmas with the game pad. Not only is this a great tv player, but has a wealth of free games for the kids to play. We also have ROKU which is probably the best TV player with tons of free TV apps.

We have Direct TV .   We tried Dish & imo it suc*ed!  I enjoy the 3  Outdoor channels that Direct has.  It was cheap the first 2 yrs. (contract)  then the price jumped up. We called & said we were going to change providers They let us keep the price we had & I got the Outdoor channel plus the 2,  I already had, Pursuit & Sportsman.       Good service too.    Works for me.

Edited by hunter49
  • Like 1

We have Direct TV . We tried Dish & imo it suc*ed! I enjoy the 3 Outdoor channels that Direct has. It was cheap the first 2 yrs. (contract) then the price jumped up. We called & said we were going to change providers They let us keep the price we had & I got the Outdoor channel plus the 2, I already had, Pursuit & Sportsman. Good service too. Works for me.

That's what I do every 2 years

I've been with DISH for many years, probably 12-15?  I'm soooo close to telling them to pound salt............

I miss Fox News and Fox Business channels, I know they'll probably be back but that's what we thought when we lost MSG (Sabres games) about 5 years ago.

Between what I spend on Dish ($89) and Verizon TV & DSL ($89)  maybe I can get the bundle from Time Warner for the same money.......pipe dream?

Edited by Lawdwaz

I have direct tv with the internet and WiFi and crap my wife's been trying to convince herself and I that we can cancel cable and do with out I Woukd love to save the money but im not 100% sold on giving it up she wants to get Hulu and stuff like that

i have direct TV, but there double play uses verizons DSL for internet and its slow. i switched to TW for internet and i like it but in order to get it even faster they have to hook up where direct tv is. plus with TW i lost my wife on my DTV box. Prices on direct tv started climbing so at this point i have been thinking of switching to TW for everything. if direct t did internet through coax it would be great but they dont...

Have had DirecTV for a long time

we started with Primestar when we built our house in 1995

It was a few years after that they were bought out by DirecTV. I have no complaints at all monthly bill has not dramatically changed over the years

Parents had cable & did away with it as their bill went up $10-15 every few months said they were getting charged over $300 a month when they did away with it. That was basic cable, Internet & Phone.

Our cable bill is currently $190.00  per month (Mid Hudson Cable) so we're just trying to get it ( TV and Internet) below $100.00 .... probably will turn out to be about $130 or 140 between basic cable for the net and DirectTV ....but its worth a shot to lower it !

Edited by GreeneHunter
  • Like 1

Ditch all cable and go with the roku with Netflix and amazon, its like cable a la carte. Get digital antenna for local tv and your good to go and pay next to nothing.

I would agree 100% if you could get ESPN via internet only.  If you aren't a sports fan, then yes this is the way to go!

Have had DirecTV for a long time

we started with Primestar when we built our house in 1995

It was a few years after that they were bought out by DirecTV. I have no complaints at all monthly bill has not dramatically changed over the years

Parents had cable & did away with it as their bill went up $10-15 every few months said they were getting charged over $300 a month when they did away with it. That was basic cable, Internet & Phone.

Short of 20 years ago I was a primestar installer. Decent job for a while. When they got bought out they tried to chop our cut and drop us to minimum. See ya's.

Just called TWC to get a price for internet only. I do not have top tier but fast.  $66.mos as stand alone. They asked why and I said I was going to switch to Satellite. well, they knocked 20 a month off, gave us the top tier internet speed, added Encore, ShowTime and TMC free for a year.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Just called TWC to get a price for internet only. I do not have top tier but fast.  $66.mos as stand alone. They asked why and I said I was going to switch to Satellite. well, they knocked 20 a month off, gave us the top tier internet speed, added Encore, ShowTime and TMC free for a year.

I have just TWC internet for $37 a month. They quoted you for the upgraded speed I bet.

I hate them all from the Cell Phone Carriers and the Cable/Satelite Carriers, there all a bunch of billion dollar companies who get rich off us providing a simple service. Someday when I retire I am going to live in a log cabin with no Cell phone or Cable and amuse myself by Farming, Hunting, and Fishing!

I hate them all from the Cell Phone Carriers and the Cable/Satelite Carriers, there all a bunch of billion dollar companies who get rich off us providing a simple service. Someday when I retire I am going to live in a log cabin with no Cell phone or Cable and amuse myself by Farming, Hunting, and Fishing!

Won't you miss all of us??