Mountain Lion in NY????

Dennis119

So, here's the deal. Worked at a camp in my town for a long time. My partner and I heard my boss saying that they were having a problem with kids sneaking out at night through the back gate and that they were going to make sure security went back there more often. My buddy had a trail cam in his back seat and we decided to put it up facing the road that leads to the back gate to see if we could catch kids leaving the property (and to catch deer obviously)

We got some pics of bears and then we got the pic of the cat. Night pic is not great as it is a pic of a pic. Not sure if my buddy still has original. Hard to judge it's size. Based on the size of the bear, the cat is a decent size and has a very long tail. Def not a bobcat, looks bigger than house cat but much smaller than adult mtn lion.

Cant really use the two pics as an exact comparison for size when looking at them side by side in this post. The one with the cat in it is zoomed in by alot, which makes it look like the cat is bigger than it is. If you use the tree as the point of reference, youll notice the bear is far and away larger than the cat. Id say its a big housecat, it does look like there might be a long tail.

• Like 1

A friend of mine and another guy he works with both swear they saw one run across 86 outside of salamanca headed towards alleghany - olean Last summer when they were laying black top and the road was closed all summer.

Edited by RobC

I know a woman who spotted one in Colden and called it in, sure enough it was an escaped "pet". Same thing happened in Fort Erie not too long ago. So of course they have been spotted in NY (and Canada)

Lol ..... wait until the day an escaped female cat bumps into an escaped male. Ha-ha-ha-ha .... my goodness, a breeding population of mountain lions.

What is with these jerks that want a mountain lion for a pet?

What is with these jerks that want a mountain lion for a pet?

Doc there are animal auctions down south...hey..... you can buy a girraff if you want...I had one pet shop owner and her girls hit these every year...they'd come back with all sorts of things from coatamundi to monitor lizards...but one time they came back, proud as punch with a deal...a 3wk old baby ground hog for only 50.00...LOL sad but too funny...sad because I knew they wouldn't be able to keep the thing alive  and funny they had no idea that a groundhog was a common woodchuck and payed $50 for the poor thing.