22 mag gun choice

I'm planning on getting a 22 mag soon and I've been thinking of getting either the Henry lever action 22 mag frontier or regular one or the savage 93. Which one would you get and why? Accuracy is at the top of my list so if any of you have any experience between to two please share what you thought of the accuracy. 

my father in law has the henry in 22mag, the sights, and the bands that hold the feed tube and barrel together are plastic, the barrel actually sits a little cockeyed, another buddy had 3 different henrys in 44mag...........they all got sent back numerous times for issues, he sold the last one and bought a marlin, hasn't looked back.....................lol I wouldn't take a henry as a gift :)

I've owned 3 savages, 2 in 17hmr( one I sold) and a 338 lapua, they all ROCK, get one with the accutrigger

Edited by waterweasle

I have the Henry Frontier in 22LR and the Savage 93 in 17 HMR so while I have both models you're thinking about, I don't have them in 22 mag.  I've also never put any sights on top of my Henry (it's my fun range/plinker) so I only shoot in with iron sights.  Still, I highly doubt the Henry will match the Savage when it comes to accuracy.  I'm sub MOA at 100 yards with the Savage but its also worth noting that the 17 HMR is more accurate than the 22 WMR.

I'm planning on getting a 22 mag soon and I've been thinking of getting either the Henry lever action 22 mag frontier or regular one or the savage 93. Which one would you get and why? Accuracy is at the top of my list so if any of you have any experience between to two please share what you thought of the accuracy. 

Have the 93 in 22WMR. great shooter. When you can find the ammo to feed it. With the headache it has been finding ammo (Most is running about 30 cents a round or higher) I would try to find a small center fire and reload it. I can reload and shoot my 223 cheaper and a lever gun in a pistol round like 9mm would be cheaper than 22 mag.

what are you planning to do with it and how far are you expecting to shoot?

I am also looking to purchase a .22 Mag/the one I am looking for is used and not made any longer.Not sure of model number but the firearm is a single shot lever made by Ithica

Dom, weren't you talking about how 22LR is nowhere to be had? I suggest anyone wanting a 22 mag, go out and take a look for that ammo. It's worse .

• Like 1

I am also looking to purchase a .22 Mag/the one I am looking for is used and not made any longer.Not sure of model number but the firearm is a single shot lever made by Ithica

I believe that is the Model 49M saddle gun.

I had a 49 ( in .22 LR).

Good luck finding one. There are probably some out there, but I haven't seen one in about 40 years.

if I was to get something bigger than a 22LR I'd be getting a 17WSM.  I've actually seen that stuff all over the place because many have a 22mag but unless you bought a new gun recently you've got no use for 17WSM ammo.  so it sits there.  not to mention the 17WSM flat out rocks in accuracy and range compared to a 22mag.  that's your primary concern right?

I had the 49R, which I believe was harder to find than the single shot, and I just sold it last year to put towards my pistol. Wished it had worked better as I would've kept it but I got it for next to nothing and made out great selling it

I had a 49 ( in .22 LR).

Good luck finding one. There are probably some out there, but I haven't seen one in about 40 years.

Accuracy is a big concern of mine. The reason I was looking at 22 mag was because I want something that will be pelt friendly on the occasion that I'll be going fox or coyote hunting. I almost got a 22 250 a few weeks ago but I was to busy to go and get it when it was on sale so I went back to looking at a 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accuracy is a big concern of mine. The reason I was looking at 22 mag was because I want something that will be pelt friendly on the occasion that I'll be going fox or coyote hunting. I almost got a 22 250 a few weeks ago but I was to busy to go and get it when it was on sale so I went back to looking at a 22.

I'd check with some of the coyote hunters on here. I can't imagine something like a 223 with a soft nosed bullet (non varmint round) would make too much of a mess.

I had a 49 ( in .22 LR).

I have the 49 in LR and also the 66 in 20guage.

I have the 49 in LR and also the 66 in 20guage.

Nice, Dom....Hope you find a 49M....

I had a saddle scabbard for my 49, but sold both many years ago...The 49 was not especially accurate...I didn't care for the sights...I had a very accurate .22 LR ( Win M69 A)... So I foolishly sold or traded the 49 and scabbard....<<<sigh>>>...

One of many guns that I have sold or traded over the years and wish I had back...

if I was to get something bigger than a 22LR I'd be getting a 17WSM.  I've actually seen that stuff all over the place because many have a 22mag but unless you bought a new gun recently you've got no use for 17WSM ammo.  so it sits there.  not to mention the 17WSM flat out rocks in accuracy and range compared to a 22mag.  that's your primary concern right?

Not enough gun makers are jumping on the 17WSM.  The one that Savage makes has gotten bad reviews.  I think CZ are the only other gun maker that makes a 17WSM rifle.

Savage is also releasing a 17HMR in semi-auto (Savage A17).  Don't know why they're not making one for 22 WMR in semi-auto,

Not enough gun makers are jumping on the 17WSM.  The one that Savage makes has gotten bad reviews.  I think CZ are the only other gun maker that makes a 17WSM rifle.

Savage is also releasing a 17HMR in semi-auto (Savage A17).  Don't know why they're not making one for 22 WMR in semi-auto,

there's some other companies like Volquartsen and slightly less costly ones like Winchester.  that's a good point though.  if it doesn't take off then it could be a problem finding ammo down the road.  savage I'm sure will fix any issues as long as it's not solely aesthetics based.  I've only heard of small mfg defects but it is a cheaper gun.

17HMR must do better sales wise than 22WMR.  17HMR would be my second choice.

I'd check with some of the coyote hunters on here. I can't imagine something like a 223 with a soft nosed bullet (non varmint round) would make too much of a mess.

didn't see this.  in that case I'd definitely go with a 223.  reload it as cheap like some have said.  thought center fire wasn't an option.  some towns or areas not far from here you can only use a rimfire or shotgun.

....22-250 from a 22WMR is a big jump.

Edited by dbHunterNY

didn't see this.  in that case I'd definitely go with a 223.  reload it as cheap like some have said.  thought center fire wasn't an option.  some towns or areas not far from here you can only use a rimfire or shotgun.

....22-250 from a 22WMR is a big jump.

I've been looking into .223 as well.