22 mag gun choice

I'm in the same boat as you.. I've picked up and held the savage 93 22 mag several times, but didn't get it. I'm partial to savage, and they are offering a 25 dollar rebate now on the model 93's. I may just go for a savage in 223 instead. I feel like your getting a round that has a little more versatility than the 22 mag.

I'm in the same boat as you.. I've picked up and held the savage 93 22 mag several times, but didn't get it. I'm partial to savage, and they are offering a 25 dollar rebate now on the model 93's. I may just go for a savage in 223 instead. I feel like your getting a round that has a little more versatility than the 22 mag.

Im interested in saving the pelts and i hear that 223 can destroy a fox pelt which is why ive been leaning toward 22 mag. I may just end up getting a .223.

I hear ya there... That's the reason I wanted the 22 mag as well, but the 223 has a ton of bullets to chose from. They havnt been bad on yotes but fox I'm not sure. #4 buck isn't a bad choice either. No pelt damage on the fox with that.

Haha I have the same exact thoughts that you had. Decisions decisions! So you have taken coyotes with the .223?

Yes, but no fox with it. I usually take my shotgun as I don't have my ar anymore. Honestly i like taking that but your range is limited. I need to spend some time and pattern loads. If you plan on going during any deer season your limited to rim fire only so that's another reason to consider 22 mag.

I'm in that dilemma since I have a 223 and a 17HMR.  If I'm calling with my 223 and a fox shows up, I'm afraid of ruining the pelt.  If I have my 17HMR but a coyote shows up, I feel slight under-gunned.

Any one taken a fox with a 223 or a coyote with a 17HMR?

Edited by Elmo

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Ruger 77 HB 22 mag and the Remington 597 22 mag,  did trigger jobs on both as they were a little heavy for my liking. Both shoot well, the Remington has shown surprising accuracy for a out of the box autoloader, she will lay them right in there as well as the Ruger Varmint does especially with the Winchester 40gr. hp.

Al

My .22mag is a Marlin 25mn with the micro-groove barrel and it pretty much loves any ammo I feed it. I can pluck eyeballs @ 100yds all day. The forementioned .17WSM is superior past 100yds, but inside 100 the .22mag still reigns supreme due to heavier bullet offerings.

Just an FYI for those if you that still think it's "rimfire only" during any open deer season. The regs were revised to include any centerfire round SMALLER than .22cal. A few include the .17 fireball, .17hornet and one that is quickly making a name for itself among predator hunters; the .204Ruger.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Edited by PREDATE

Predate... Have you shot coyotes with the .17hmr at ranges over 100 yards ?

I'm just curious as to how it performs on game that size.. I don't hunt predators much anymore, but I am always interested in terminal performance of any chambering on any game.

I'm in that dilemma since I have a 223 and a 17HMR.  If I'm calling with my 223 and a fox shows up, I'm afraid of ruining the pelt.  If I have my 17HMR but a coyote shows up, I feel slight under-gunned.

Any one taken a fox with a 223 or a coyote with a 17HMR?

I've only killed three with guns; two with a 50cal T/C ML and one with the 300WSM.  The former two are hanging on the wall 8' from me right now.  Ain't anybody EVER going to see the four holes in those two dogs.  (one shot each, in & out)  The later one was given to a trapper who skinned and sold the hide.  Did it bring a premium price, nope.  Who cares?

If/when you do kill a fox or coyote what are you going to do with it?  If you have it stuffed, your taxi-dude can make it look just fine I bet. 

I wouldn't sweat the holes guys........................

• Like 1

Pygmy, I have never put my hands on a .17hmr, but I can honestly say that I would never shoot at a coyote with one past 50yds.(just too light)

Now my brothers .17WSM on the other hand has put down a number of coyotes over 100yds. I like the .22mag because a vital shot(heart/lungs) within 100yds will put a hurt on a coyote if a headshot isn't an option and I have yet to have a fox take a step from a .22mag hit.

One tip; snow covered ground is your friend when coyote hunting with a rimfire

• Like 1

Lawdwaz has it right, a little sewing to a pelt is normally expected.

Let me tell you, undergunning for predators is very frustrating given all the hard work it takes to even just get a shot at one. The .223 is a safe bet and I don't think you'd regret owning a .204ruger either

Edited by PREDATE

• 3 months later...

Well thought id give an update on this. So I decided to go with a Marlin XT .22 mag because it was priced well and is a great gun. I was also forced to get this one because it came with a 4 rd magazine which is needed to be legal in the five boroughs.

Does any one know of any good scopes for the .22? Id be willing to spend up to 150 dollars. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet since I haven't gone through the thread, but the Ruger American is a great little gun. I recently purchased one in 22mag and its a good little shooter and seems well made. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet since I haven't gone through the thread, but the Ruger American is a great little gun. I recently purchased one in 22mag and its a good little shooter and seems well made. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Ya I thought of it as well but I ultimately decided to go with a marlin xt. It's a little older on the market and has amazing reviews. Also I can't remember if they have a 5 shot magazine on the river because living in NYC, I have to pay attention to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a Ruger American 22 mag a couple months ago. Between a busy schedule, crappy weather and my range being closed for repair I haven't even fired it yet. Its still in the box in the safe. 

I hear they shoot good though…LOL!

I bought a Ruger American 22 mag a couple months ago. Between a busy schedule, crappy weather and my range being closed for repair I haven't even fired it yet. Its still in the box in the safe. 

I hear they shoot good though…LOL!

I heard that as well. Now i have to find some ammo lol.