Nov 7th?? why the late start?

Mike DBH

I'll go two-an-a-quarta, do I hear a twofiddy?

No offense buddy, but count your blessings. I can't even draw a bow any more, so it's going to be camera season until gun rolls around. Pics are cool, but I depend on the meat too. I never thought that 56 yo would be my cutoff. Roll with what ya' got an' make the most of it.

• Like 4

I would have spent more money on a crossbow if they had given us all of archery season. I do hunt both the Northern and Southern zones. It looks like we still get 10 days in the Northern zone plus the 14 days in the Southern zone, which opens later, effectively giving us 24 days to use a crossbow in NY, prior to opening of gun season. In the Northern zone the early ML season runs concurrent with x-bow for the last 7 days, and I switch over to the ML as soon as I can.

Because my family depends heavily on venison, I will always use the most lethal, legal instrument available. This isn't about fun and games or "challenge" for me, strictly killing and eating.

I did well with an entry-level, $250 x-bow last year, killing the only deer I shot at, striking it in the heart at 59 yards. I was not satisfied with the penetration (8") at that range however and will limit future shots to 50 yards with it. My in-line ML is effective to 150 yards, my bolt-action, rifled shotgun to 175, and my 30/06 to 350 yards. I will always pick the one that is legal and provides the greatest range.

I would rate my entry level x-bow as approximately 10x more effective on deer than a conventional compound bow, so I don't suppose I will ever pick one of them up again. It is nice to have that extra "early-archery" time to do a little more small game hunting with the .22 rifle and shotgun. Because of the order of magnitude increase in effectiveness over a regular bow, it don't take that long to get the job done with the x-bow. I think $10 a day was a great price to spend on a crossbow. I'd have to be a billionare before I would consider spending $30/day however.

My x-bow is still in like-new condition so the cost will drop to $5/day this year. Because they are so much more effective, far less practice is required with a x-bow than with a regular bow. I could cover 30 yard groups with a quarter on the day I assembled my crossbow last spring.post-5805-0-57910300-1438435603_thumb.jp

I would rate my entry level x-bow as approximately 10x more effective on deer than a conventional compound bow

Just as funny now as the 1st time you said it.

Demonstrates just how little you understand your equipment - and your own skills.

• Like 2

Why does everyone think the dec is limiting crossbow to last two weeks of archery?? The politicians did that, the dec pushed for full inclusion in archery, the special intrest groups pushed the politicians to limit it... until nys residents wake up and add a right to hunt amendment to the Constitution and put in place a game comission to regulate it we will always have the politicians messing things up as interest groups push their own adgenda,if the even vote to let us have a season.....

• Like 3

I see your point but its the dates that are lost, not so much the amount of time that bother me. Im usually tagged out by the 7th, this thing seems useless to me now.

nothing has changed since last year. If you didn't do your research and plan to tag out by then; I'm not sure what you're complaining about. You spent the money knowing full well what the rules were.

LOL, typical.

seriously... what are you 12?

You keep posting that picture like you're the only one to ever shoot a deer in the heart. get off it.

Edited by Belo

right now it's a little messed up with DEC not controlling crossbow season.  it is what it is though.  you obviously didn't buy the crossbow as a necessity to allow you to take deer because you're worried about tagging out with a vertical bow.  if you want to take a deer with a crossbow then don't tag out early and wait a week.  enjoy things a little longer.  you have to wait to fill your regular tag anyway. same as those who want to use a rifle or muzzleloader have to wait.  someone using a crossbow shouldn't be any different.

nothing has changed since last year. If you didn't do your research and plan to tag out by then; I'm not sure what you're complaining about. You spent the money knowing full well what the rules were.

seriously... what are you 12?

You keep posting that picture like you're the only one to ever shoot a deer in the heart. get off it.

12? What did I do?

Did you people look at the map that was posted, Sq. box lower left. It said X Bows may be used in the Regular Season, Northern and Southern Zone. That is besides the 7th. to the 20th. So you have a choice of what to use during the Regular season.

Did you people look at the map that was posted, Sq. box lower left. It said X Bows may be used in the Regular Season, Northern and Southern Zone. That is besides the 7th. to the 20th. So you have a choice of what to use during the Regular season.

Oh don't be silly, Do you really expect people to understand the regulations and season dates and be REPSONSIBLE for their own actions? Come on, it is way over the top to expect someone that wants to hunt with a specific weapon to show a little self restraint and save a tag for that season. You must know that if a deer walks out there is no choice other than you MUST shoot it? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

No, some people dont look at that. I told him on page one and was responded to with "F U"

Has anybody else shot a deer thru the heart at 59 yards with a $250 crossbow? If you want to get a hint why even a cheap crossbow is 10x more effective than a conventional bow, take about $30 up to Dicks and get yourself a Crossman 760 BB gun (with a scope). Take it home and place a target 40 yards away. Using a good rest and the scope, fire a 10 shot group (BB's are cheap). Now take the scope off, and repeat, from the standing position using the open sights. For a more realistic comparison, for the standing shots, do a dumbbell curl with about 60 lbs between shots, holding the weight up for a minute or so. Compare the size of the two groups.

The ability to fire your shots from a rest with telescopic sights is just a part of the reason for the order of magnitude increase in x-bow effectiveness on live targets. Couple that with the elimination of the need to draw and hold with an animal in close. 10X is actually quite conservative when it comes to how much more effective a x-bow really is. It is actually much closer to a ML than a regular bow in effectiveness on deer. Maybe that's part of the reason NY currently treats it more like one of those.

Has anybody else shot a deer thru the heart at 59 yards with a $250 crossbow? If you want to get a hint why even a cheap crossbow is 10x more effective than a conventional bow, take about $30 up to Dicks and get yourself a Crossman 760 BB gun (with a scope). Take it home and place a target 40 yards away. Using a good rest and the scope, fire a 10 shot group (BB's are cheap). Now take the scope off, and repeat, from the standing position using the open sights. For a more realistic comparison, for the standing shots, do a dumbbell curl with about 60 lbs between shots, holding the weight up for a minute or so. Compare the size of the two groups.

The ability to fire your shots from a rest with telescopic sights is just a part of the reason for the order of magnitude increase in x-bow effectiveness on live targets. Couple that with the elimination of the need to draw and hold with an animal in close. 10X is actually quite conservative when it comes to how much more effective a x-bow really is. It is actually much closer to a ML than a regular bow in effectiveness on deer. Maybe that's part of the reason NY currently treats it more like one of those.

A ML is super sonic. A cross bow isn't and given the noise difference between the crossbow and a compound I think most people have this issue with your account of your hunt. It was very fortunate that the deer stayed put for you. a small movement of 6" could have cost you that deer in the time of release and bolt flight.

• Like 3

You just hit on another reason for the crossbows much greater effectiveness on "live" game. String-jump is a significantly bigger issue on alert deer than it is on those that are totally clueless about impending danger. Many a calm deer has been "alerted" when it caught a glimpse of an archer drawing his bow at close range. I have no doubt that string jump accounts for more wounded deer than any other cause during archery season. Just like a gun, no "in-close" draw is needed with the x-bow. Using a x-bow, there really is no excuse for not shooting at only "calm" deer.

From 30+ years of archery experience, I knew prior to the shot in question that there was near 100% certainty that the buck would be in the same exact position when the arrow arrived. In the case of that semi-calm and distracted (by a couple does)59 yard buck last year, he was also about 10 yards beyond the range where release noise would be an issue. He certainly never knew what hit him until his heart was pierced. I suppose his heart was already broken when I hit it, since the two does did not seem to be receptive. I guess maybe I put him out of his misery. His pickled heart sure was tasty.

Those of you archers who are so selfishly opposed to the crossbow may want to loosen up a bit. There are plenty of deer to go around here in NY. Hunter numbers are in decline and allowing the crossbow may stem the tide a bit by allowing hunters who are unable to draw and hold a regular bow participate. You may be good with your regular bows now, but there will come a day for almost everyone when the crossbow could add a few more seasons to your hunting.

At least drop that argument that a x-bow is the same as a regular bow in effectiveness. Anyone with a spare $30 and an hours time can easily disprove that myth with a "subsonic" BB-gun using the little experiment I outlined in my prior post.

at least drop that argument that a x-bow is the same as a regular bow in effectiveness. Anyone with a spare $30 and an hours time can easily disprove that myth with a "subsonic" BB-gun using the little experiment I outlined in my prior post.

of course they're not the same, that's why many believe they should have separate seasons......and you do realize the argument you put forth is the same one that the anti crossbow crowd has to keep it out of bowseason, do you not?

Edited by jjb4900

I have not heard from too many of the anti crossbow folks who are willing to admit to the far greater effectiveness on the x-bow.   The truth will set you free.  This ones for you JJ: If my best buddy upstairs were to hunt deer, what weapon would he choose?  

Edited by wolc123

I have not heard from too many of the anti crossbow folks who are willing to admit to the far greater effectiveness on the x-bow.   The truth will set you free.  This ones for you JJ: If my best buddy upstairs were to hunt deer, what weapon would he choose?  

he would crush it with a Crucifix....................but seriously, the whole argument to keep them out of bowseason falls on their superiority to the longbow, unless I'm missing something.

The whole reason they aren't in all of archery is purely political, they are set as muzzloader because nys law requirks 3 years of experience with a weapon before a course can be taught.so no teachers and archery intrest groups would fight against teaching it, so put a muzzleloader and it's ok to use.

yes they are easier to sight in, but experiance hunting is still needed to get fairly close for a positive kill range ( not dumb luck) by the way in saw a simple compound bow kill a deer thru the heart last year at 70 yards... not an amazing feat but one shot the hunter practiced and knew where his arrow would hit. Was it luck yes deer could of moved.

they will be included eventually in all of archery, but having used both, I enjoy my bow more then my crossbow, and though new "gun hunters will appear it doesn't make them have the skill to get deer in range consistently.

• Like 1

I have not heard from too many of the anti crossbow folks who are willing to admit to the far greater effectiveness on the x-bow. The truth will set you free. This ones for you JJ: If my best buddy upstairs were to hunt deer, what weapon would he choose?

What are you talking about? The effectiveness of the crossbow is our whole argument!

• 2 weeks later...

right now it's a little messed up with DEC not controlling crossbow season.  it is what it is though.  you obviously didn't buy the crossbow as a necessity to allow you to take deer because you're worried about tagging out with a vertical bow.  if you want to take a deer with a crossbow then don't tag out early and wait a week.  enjoy things a little longer.  you have to wait to fill your regular tag anyway. same as those who want to use a rifle or muzzleloader have to wait.  someone using a crossbow shouldn't be any different.

Guys correct me if my interpertation is wrong . I am in the southern zone in Delaware county, so with my regular bow license i can take a doe or a buck with atleast 3pts on one side. Then I have a muzzleloader license for xbow the last 14 days of archery season. I can also take a buck or a doe like the regular bow license. Is this correct?

Thanks

Guys correct me if my interpertation is wrong . I am in the southern zone in Delaware county, so with my regular bow license i can take a doe or a buck with atleast 3pts on one side. Then I have a muzzleloader license for xbow the last 14 days of archery season. I can also take a buck or a doe like the regular bow license. Is this correct?

Thanks

you get two tags that are interchangeable during the two seasons, providing you bought both.............what you get is just two tags, one either sex and one antlerless only.

2 bucks total is the legal limit here.  You can fill your gun season buck tag during the late ML or archery season, but you cant use your gun buck tag during the early archery season.  If you buy an archery license and a ML license, you get a other tag, but it can only be used on antlerless deer.  That allows you to kill a total of three deer in any zone but only two can have antlers.  In some zones, including 9F where I live and do most of my hunting,  up to (4) additional DMP's can be purchased, (2) before October 1 and (2) after Nov 1 in many zones if any tags remain.  DMP's are also only good for antlerless deer.   Things are pretty good for the meat hunters like myself now here in NY as (7) deer would fill just about any freezer.

Edited by wolc123

Thanks

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html