Can we use salt licks in NY

bowtech2

I laugh they are everywhere and those trophy rock things...I laughed when I saw them marketed for horses...there are a lot of camo wearing horse owners in this area.... :rolleyes:

I have used salt and mineral licks for my horses. Never saw them for sale at a place like Gander - but I probably wouldn't trust something from there for my horses. Tractor Supply has some good ones from time to time. Mine only hang in the stall. I do find it odd when something is obviously being sold as deer bait (salt or feed) in the hunting section.

I know a guy who was prosecuted many many years ago for a salt lick and lost his license permenatly.  Just a FYI.  Not sure what the penalty would be today but I don't worry about penalties that don't affect me. 

I know many are against baiting but if it was allowed in high population areas where they want deer taken down like LI it would help.  Many other states use bait to help population control and it seems to work.

I also find it funny how so many stores have this and yet it seems to disapear from the shelves.  Yep many out of state hunters lol, right.  

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 2

I know many are against baiting but if it was allowed in high population areas where they want deer taken down like LI it would help.  Many other states use bait to help population control and it seems to work.

Ha-ha..... It wouldn't surprise be to find that in the next deer management plan.

considered baiting and we can't bait or feed deer in NY.  

That said, it is a highly effective method of control and I don't understand why the DEC is so dead set against it.  There was some suggestion that it can contribute to CWD but there are plenty of states whose biologists allow it and there is no more or less a problem in those states due to baiting/use of minerals.  Let's be truthful, they are a fairly communal animal how they travel and bed, CWD would happen regardless if a hunter baited or not.  

Edited by eagle rider
  • Like 1

considered baiting and we can't bait or feed deer in NY.

1. That said, it is a high;y effective method of control and I don't understand why the DEC is so dead set against it. There was some suggestion that it can contribute to CWD but there are plenty of states whose biologists allow it and there is no more or less a problem in those states due to baiting/use of minerals. Let's be truthful, they are a fairly communal animal how they travel and bed, CWD would happen regardless if a hunter baited or not.

4SW coming to crap on the thread in 3...2...

Edited by ELMER J. FUDD
  • Like 1

I know a guy who was prosecuted many many years ago for a salt lick and lost his license permenatly.  Just a FYI.  Not sure what the penalty would be today but I don't worry about penalties that don't affect me. 

I also find it funny how so many stores have this and yet it seems to disapear from the shelves.  Yep many out of state hunters lol, right.  

Just a side note. I can guarantee that he did not lose his license for a lifetime for one infraction of baiting. As Paul Harvey would say....the rest of the story

• Like 3

where I grew up salt-licks are allowed if put out at least 30 days before season starts.

You couldn't hunt over them though. 

Before the farm was sold off, we put one out near the natural spring in Sept. and hunted 200 yards away off one of trails in late Oct.  In between bedding, water, and salt-lick 60-70 yards from an apple orchard.  Sometimes we got deer, some times saw none (or none in range).

Salt-licks are no guarantee, just may increase the odds - but each state has its own rules.

So my dad can use salt-licks, but no hunting on Sunday (that is his state's rules).  At least we do get Sundays to hunt.