Another Shame

DirtTime

Wildfires are what rejuvenate an old forest. In just a few years time it'll be thriving more than it has in decades.

It's really what the dak's needs but the dec is too dumb to see it

Not just the DEC, the whole reason these fires are getting so big is due to the fire management principles this country follows. If they would have never taken up the extinguishment culture and let the fires burn naturally in wilderness areas, the fuel loads would be very low and fires would never get this hot or move this fast. Now, with the amount of fuel in the DAKs right now, if it did not get stopped quickly, it would be a huge conflagration. 

• Like 3

Would like to see Allegany State park thinned out a bit. I believe there was some thought in doing so about 20 years ago, but people were against it. Would like to see undergrowth for the critters. I would like to see how the Yellowstone park fire from 30 years transformered the park...I'll bet things are growing back nicely and wildlife are thriving.

Wildfires are what rejuvenate an old forest. In just a few years time it'll be thriving more than it has in decades.

It's really what the dak's needs but the dec is too dumb to see it

DEC has nothing to do with habitat in the Daks like that.  it's land protected by law beyond DEC's reach.  I agree it'd probably do wonders for some areas though.  takes a lot to keep them under control though.

Hell ya.... I watched one run across an open field ...fireman had been trying to contain it...scared the ba-geegees out of me...I was afraid it would jump the road and come up the hay field in our direction. that thing moved so fast ,fireman were running and trucks were dang near over run...

Perhaps this is the answer for Albany and Washington DC...good old clear burn ;)

• Like 2

Not just the DEC, the whole reason these fires are getting so big is due to the fire management principles this country follows. If they would have never taken up the extinguishment culture and let the fires burn naturally in wilderness areas, the fuel loads would be very low and fires would never get this hot or move this fast. Now, with the amount of fuel in the DAKs right now, if it did not get stopped quickly, it would be a huge conflagration.

In Mississippi they actually do controlled burns over the leafs and droppings in the national forest to reduce fire potential. The turkeys love the new growth

• Like 1

In Mississippi they actually do controlled burns over the leafs and droppings in the national forest to reduce fire potential. The turkeys love the new growth

This is done in a lot of places, the problem is the "Wilderness" designated areas. The regulations put in place for these places do not allow for this type of thing to be done, but they can make every effort to stop natural wildfires. There lies the problem.

• Like 1

This is done in a lot of places, the problem is the "Wilderness" designated areas. The regulations put in place for these places do not allow for this type of thing to be done, but they can make every effort to stop natural wildfires. There lies the problem.

They will generally let the wilderness areas burn freely as there is no concern that people will lose their houses, and they recognize the vital roll fires play for wildlife habitat.  At least in the west.

Since August 10th there have been 20 new fires on the Salmon-Challis National Forest.  Five of those fires are in the Frank-Church River of No Return Wilderness and are being permitted to play, as nearly as possible, their natural ecological roles in the wilderness.  

Exactly. No controlled burns and efforts are made to stop and prevent fires. And listen, I don't want my camp or anyone else's camps or homes to burn, but in 30 years of going to the daks I've seen the wildlife decline and the forest canopy grow taller. It's just not natural and not helping out our critters. I love that my camp is forever wild. We have solar power, no motor boats on the lake and I love it. But common sense should prevail with respects to rejuvenate.

We need edges and new growth in the daks and Catskills ...till that happened either via fire or some serious logging we will continue to witness a decline in some wildlife populations. Forever wild is a man made phenomenon....there is nothing wild about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fires are extremely beneficial to the ecosystem. In fact some places like the Long Island pine barrens actually need a fire in order to re seed the Forrest. The policy to fight fires actually ended up harming us in many ways. I'm glad that many states have started controlled or prescribed fires in order to stop help prevent these huge fires.