how many guns can u carry ?

JimMac

I friend told me i couldn't carry 2 or 3 different caliber rifles or shot guns at the same time

while hunting ..  any truth to this , I looked all over dec's site and didnt see anything ...

for instance carry my 270 axis and my .223 savage 11 while deer hunting .. why;  case i see

a yote out there at 300 yrds , the 223 has a better scope and is sighted in for long distance

the 270 is on at 100 yrds

i called the dec once a few years ago and asked if i could carry a muzzle loader and a rifle in case the deer was to far for the muzzle loader boy they really had to go back and forth with every one around them pretty scarry they dont know there own laws on the spot but in the end they said as long as the season was open for each impliment i had it was ok 

Never heard of a law that you could not. I only hunt my property and I carry  a 22 side arm or my .357 side arm which are loaded, unloaded in cases on my ATV, a .22 rifle , a .243 rifle , a .30-06 rifle and a 12 ga. pump shot gun. And at times my MZ loader all set for a certine distance. I built racks for the front and back to carry them all.This way I can stay out all day with out having to go back to get something different. Yea it some sight to see.

For a few years, while hunting our own farm in a shotgun zone, I packed my Remington 870 slug gun with short smooth-bore barrel and open sights along with my T/C omega 50 cal ML with a 2-7X scope.   That combination worked ok, with the scoped ML good for shots between 75 and 150 yards and the shotgun for closer.   It was a bit of a hassle packing two guns to and from the stand however.   I would usually hold the ML and have the shotgun at-the-ready, close by.  

I only ended up using both one time when a group of 5 or 6 antlerless deer came by about an hour after sunrise on opening day.  I had one antlerless tag as well as my buck tag.   When the largest doe in the group stood broadside at 90 yards, I dropped her there with a shoulder blade shot using the ML.    The other deer all ran away after the shot. 

Just about a minute later, before I reloaded the ML or went down to gut the doe, I saw two more deer approaching on the same trail the earlier group had used.  I could see as they got closer that both were bucks.  The smaller one, a 4 point, 1.5 year, stopped about 10 yards from my stand, while the larger one, a 2-1/2 year, 8 point walked up to the dead doe.  

I had a good rest and had practiced with the shotgun at that range so I opted for the more difficult shot at the larger buck.  Fortunately my aim was true, also hitting him in the shoulder blade and dropping him there right next to the doe.    It made for an easy recovery as they both were on an old logging road and I was able to back the tractor right up to them and slide them onto my 3-point carryall.       

We are still a shotgun zone here and I much prefer the single gun I use now, A Marlin M512, rifled, bolt-action 12 ga. shotgun with a low-power Bushnell scope .   That thing is more accurate that my ML, packs two extra shots, and has about double the retained energy at 150 yards.  My longest kill with it was a big doe at 163 yards, and several times I have been able to "double" with it on antlerless deer.  I still have not taken an antlered buck with it though.  Maybe this fall I can break the ice there.  I am going to be a little less selective now that they wont let us kill bucks in the late ML season in my home zone.            

I had a good rest and had practiced with the shotgun at that range so I opted for the more difficult shot at the larger buck.  Fortunately my aim was true, also hitting him in the shoulder blade and dropping him there right next to the doe.    It made for an easy recovery as they both were on an old logging road and I was able to back the tractor right up to them and slide them onto my 3-point carryall.       

You mean Jesus guided your slug to the buck's vitals?

• Like 1

It still amazes me that I can be trusted with a pistol carrying everyday but not while bow hunting haha,

True story about a friend years ago , he was up in a tree stand and had to go real bad was not going to drop a load in his pants., started getting down and a pack of wild dogs ,like 7 of them  came to the base of the tree and were jumping and growling at him., So he took out his 22 which held 9 rounds and finished them off,even shooting at them they stayed where the were.They must have been real hungry.

He got down did his duty and went back up and got a 6 pointer later in the day.

Just like with everything else, he definitely had the final say as far as where that buck and doe ended up.  I am glad he chose "deer heaven" (our freezer).   We ate pretty good that winter, but I was in for a little surprise when I skinned the buck.   Someone had hit it a few weeks prior with an arrow.   I was thankful that I did not cut my hand on the mechanical broadhead, still attached to a couple inches of aluminum shaft and lodged under the hide on the exit side.   It looked like it passed thru, under the spine but above the lungs.  Most likely the blades did not deploy properly on contact.  That was quite a few years ago, before they had the bugs worked out of that design.  

I may have got more usable meat off the 4 point that stood under my stand.  I threw away all the "questionable" looking stuff around the arrow wound, including the front half of the back-straps.  He was showing no sign of injury while on the trail of those does, but would have never survived the winter with that arrow wound.   All the rest of the meat from that buck went into grind and sausage.   Fortunately the doe was a picture of health and made lots of good chops, steaks, and roasts.    

This question kind of struck me funny, because generally one gun is enough of a pain to struggle with. The first picture that popped into mind was some poor sap soaked in sweat and panting like a dog with two guns draped over his shoulders and a bear-hug on 3 more, trudging through  the woods to his stand....lol.

Actually, I have seen something equally silly looking. It was a bowhunter carrying a humongous ladder stand, a monster back pack, and his bow. From about 50 yards away, I could hear his breathing (more like wheezing), and I could see that his clothes were beginning to soak through ...... and he hadn't even began his climb up the hill. I could only admire his determination. I guess I would have almost the same reaction if I saw some guy wandering around the woods lugging more than one gun. The original question was interesting, but I doubt it will ever have any relevance to anything I will ever be doing.