What type of rifle rounds ?

I honestly believe any commercially available round made by a major manufacturer in the appropriate deer calibers will kill a deer.  Maybe the premium stuff will give you a bit more accuracy, but in general they won't kill a deer any deader than the cheaper stuff.  The premium bullets are really not necessary for the relatively small whitetails we have in NY or worth double the cost that some go for.  I have honestly had MORE instant drop kills with the cheaper ammo than the premium rounds.  The premium rounds are more solidly constructed to go thru thicker and bigger animals so they tend to zip thru the smaller whitetails we have in NY and expand less than the cheaper ammo.  You will no doubt have a dead animal with either round if you make a good shot, but from my experience deer tends to travel more after the shot with premium ammo than the quicker expanding cheap stuff.  In some heavily hunted areas it is better to have an animal drop sooner than later for various reasons.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like others mentioned, most of todays bullets are very effective. So I use whatever proven bullet shoots best accuracy in the rifle. I do like the Barnes TSX, Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubonds, Sciroccos and Bergers(hunting).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 30-30  model 94....anyone ever use those new tipped bullets designed for tube mags?

Only in the  .450 Marlin.  Gun hasn't blown up yet; the first couple years I got a lot of ribbing about how my "Nerf" bullets were just going to bounce off the deer. ;D

Factory ammo I use Federals in everything but the .450, I use Hornady in that.  So far all I've been using in handloads are Hornady bullets.  I'm looking to try loading some .30 caliber pointy bullets for my .30-30.  I have a Savage 99 with the rotary magazine so I won't have to worry about the 'splosion problem.

In my 260, I use 140 grain Remington Core Lokts. My 223 uses Remington UMC 55 grain FMJs for targets and Hornady V-max 55 grain ballistic tips for hunting. My 30-30 uses 170 grain Remington Express Core Lokts. Id like to try the Lever-evolution rounds for that, just havent gotten a chance to and I shoot iron sights on it anyhow.

I've been shooting factory 140gr Remington Core Lokts in the sweede, & saving brass to eventually do some reloads..

Have 6 boxes of 265 gr flat nose reloads from the old man, for the .444. Not sure the reload data off hand, but it shoots sub 1 1/2 groups so I'm happy..

Those using Hornady Leverevolution, ever have any problems with them loading/cycling in the chamber?

I was thinking of picking up a box for the .444, and mentioned it to a friend. He tried them & jammed his 35 Rem so bad, he couldn't clear it, & had to take it in to a smith to free the action.. Glad I wasn't along on that trip!

I haven't ever had any trouble with them feeding but I have heard of some people having trouble with them in older models.  Something about the follower in the magazine.

That makes sense.. He has an older gun. That tip must have picked at something & got the round loose/askew..

Heading to PA for the first couple days of the season.  Primary gun is my 7mm-08 stuffed with RL 15 powder and 120 grain Barnes TSX and backup rig is a 243, IMR 4350 and Sierra 100 grain Pro Hunter bullets. 

Interesting, the Sierra bullets came out of an abandoned camper I helped clean out this summer.  We found a box of 243 components and the only thing of any value to me was a half a box of these Pro Hunters.  Very old, price on the box was $7.30  They shot pretty good during load development, final load is 41.7 grains of 4350 and they shot into 3/4" @ 100 yards.

I'm thinking the 243 will go for a walk on Tuesday.......

I have a 30-30  model 94....anyone ever use those new tipped bullets designed for tube mags?

i shoot a '94 30-30 with the winchester super x 150 grain not that that answers your question, but i was just wonderin do you have a scope on yours or is it even possible with the way the cartridge ejects? i dont ever intend to use a scope just curious

how far out are you comfortable shooting with it?

Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain in .270.  It will put them down for sure, but as soft nosed as it is I've had a number of deer ro down after a short run with no blood trail.  The expansion is excellent but often does not exit a large deer.  Makes tracking, particularly in the rain or dark, a tough situation sometimes.

• 3 months later...

I hand load 270 (win and wsm), and 25-06.  I like ballistic tip bullets for deer.  Nosler or Hornady SST's.  That being said I tried some Sierra Game Kings and they are awesome (acurate and in weight retention).  For commercial loadings, I've had great performance from Hornady and Federal's Fusion line. 

• 3 months later...

Remington Core-Lokt here, too.  Great expansion and puts the deer down.  I've found it is consistently accurate in both my Winchester Model 70 (.270) here in NY for Whitetail and my Ruger M77 Mark II (.300 Win Mag) which I use out West for elk and bear. 

I have tried many "premium" rounds that are more expensive with no difference except a lighter wallet. 

Nothing substitutes for good shooting fundamentals - that makes the most difference.