LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Been here since 6:30. 7a quiet, lots of birds and geese flying overhead. I'm in some thick stuff parallel to a long gas line clearing trail.... No deer yet, but the cows are mooing

Pretty sure there is a Bigfoot head staring at me from 50 yards away...

Edited by Carpy744

A bit cold to undress this morning on stand isn't it??

No deer for me. Just saw one of the two dogs that come by each morning. Did get grunted at once this morning. Got to find my grunt call I guess. Going to find my doe scent and see if I can't get whatever to come in using call and scent.

Back in camp with the wood stove going, cup of strong black tea. Ahhh life is good.

I got to the stand around 6:20 and had first doe walk by at 6:50... Then what I thought was a young buck hasseling doe...but It could have been a tiff between two doe. The one started my way but then stopped in the hing cut and had a stare down with a big doe 10yrds from her...all told 9 deer this morning before 7:30 and all 60-120 yards away.  So it may be a pattern change on the property...something I wasn't expecting in this section....but the old neighbor did not have dogs...and the new guy does and they were out barking up a storm...The deer would follow one of 2 trails through us..Cross the road in between his garage and the hunting camp between us( we own on both sides of the road) making a beline for our back property and the swamp(off the road down the hill)...now they are going directly to the front plot and out through the lower pines to his neighbor down the hill...I should have gone to the blind...they ate and chased each other for an hour out there this morning...right in front of it...lol

What a fine ...cold...sit lots of birds  a soft grunt...what sounded like a Jackle...and some turkey..a Tom gobbled...may go out again in a bit...need coffee.... :sungum:

PS...The time on my posts is behind 1 hr???

Edited by growalot

In for coffee now. Heard some really weird growls on a ridge above me about 6am . Never heard the likes before. Went on for some time too.

Edit:

OK, watched some youtube vids of Bucks growling. Looks like it may have been the Big 10 Buck. Never heard 'em growl before. Very deep, drawn out, chesty growly sounds. Not like the usual grunts.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 2

Starting to think I should have went salmon fishing.......

No you dont. Columbus day weekend, its an absolute mob here. For the last 15 years I go to camp columbus weekend to get away from here. This year I stayed home and wish I didnt. Rubbernecks doing 20 in 55 is common place I guess. Took me 30 minutes just to get to town 7 miles away. I think the water has risen 6 feet in the river just from all the guys standing in it lol.

No you dont. Columbus day weekend, its an absolute mob here. For the last 15 years I go to camp columbus weekend to get away from here. This year I stayed home and wish I didnt. Rubbernecks doing 20 in 55 is common place I guess. Took me 30 minutes just to get to town 7 miles away. I think the water has risen 6 feet in the river just from all the guys standing in it lol.

I got no eggs for the steelhead season! i forgot it was columbus day weekend. Maybe tomorrow ill go up and try to beg some eggs off of fisherman

Skipped this mornings hunt. I was out of bed and dressed and was about to walk out to the garage when my wife asked me to lay back down with her to warm her up for a min. I ended up undressing and going back to sleep lol. I've had a long week at work so I'm pretty worn out. She said I needed the sleep so just go hunt in the afternoon. She was right. I slept in till 8 and I feel so much better. Plus the extra incentive she gave me for stay in bed was worth it too ;p haha. I'm sure it was a great morning to be out but sometimes you just need that one morning to sleep in.

I'm headed out now though. Moved my stand yesterday in the pouring rain. Hopefully I see some good action in this new spot! Good luck to everyone this afternoon