LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

So I went back to the scene of this mornings action, got the stand moved into the arm of this horseshoe shaped stand of hemlock that connects to a large swathe  of swampy, unhunted private property.  It feels like a natural funnel area once I was settled in for a sit.

Had a doe and her two yearlings come right under me, a button buck and doe-fawn. I had stunk the area up getting the stand in and cutting shooting lanes. They definitely got a sniff of me but I managed to remain unseen tucked between two hemlocks. Might have to take a morning off this week to see if I can catch a buck moving like this morning.

Annoyingly I lost my bow hanger during the whole process. There's always somethin! 

Edited by Papist

I took this old fighter on Halloween. He came in after hearing a few bleats with the can. The shot hit its mark and he only went 30 yards and fell over. I guess my aluminum arrows and 100gr Thunderheads can still do it even at 35 yds. This buck was a real fighter as he has scars all over his face. His left eye was even swollen almost all of the way shut from a recent brawl. I haven't had him aged yet, but I believe he's and old timer and was in decline. He has unbelievable mass on the bases and main beams. His face and head are very gray, and he's missing quite a few teeth in the front of his mouth. Any thoughts or guesses on his age?

Probably the coolest non typical buck seen taken yet! Awesome job congrats!
  • Like 1

I took this old fighter on Halloween. He came in after hearing a few bleats with the can. The shot hit its mark and he only went 30 yards and fell over. I guess my aluminum arrows and 100gr Thunderheads can still do it even at 35 yds. This buck was a real fighter as he has scars all over his face. His left eye was even swollen almost all of the way shut from a recent brawl. I haven't had him aged yet, but I believe he's and old timer and was in decline. He has unbelievable mass on the bases and main beams. His face and head are very gray, and he's missing quite a few teeth in the front of his mouth. Any thoughts or guesses on his age?

Congrats what a buck

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

grey light let my bow down about to climb down the tree making a bunch of noise I hear the leaves rustle look to my right buck is coming in hot lights up a scrape hangs around for a few minutes and leaves couldn't make out the rack but I only have 2 bucks on cam over 1.5 years old so I'm thinking it was one of the 8s, do 1.5 have the instinct to scrape the ground or are they still trying to figure out what the hell is going on inside there body's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My new spot, got the stand up at 6:46. While climbing a deer walked into the area then back out. 10 min later I loosed an arrow at a doe. Height was dead on money. However it moved as I shot I THINK (it is hard to tell) and it looked like I got it in the rear. But I am only 95% sure I even hit it. It ran off but not terribly quickly. 2 min after that from same direction comes in another doe eating but just out of range. Same one? Dunno, I don't see my arrow on the ground but the leaves cover everything. Two mornings in a row proves this spot rocks. I will report back on the deer when I get down. Only staying till 8:30.

Just let two brief doe blups and three min later a small buck walks in. I got lazy with my stand. Turns out deer CAN look in trees. I draw it sees me doing it. Neither of us move for 30 seconds. Finally I decide I gotta let down or finish lining up my shot. However as I do the latter it decides no and runs off.

In the last hour I have learned the importance of making sure deer are not moving when shooting, that a call can work, that deer can look in trees, and that my spot is 10 yards past where it really should be.

Edited by Core

My new spot, got the stand up at 6:46. While climbing a deer walked into the area then back out. 10 min later I loosed an arrow at a doe. Height was dead on money. However it moved as I shot I THINK (it is hard to tell) and it looked like I got it in the rear. But I am only 95% sure I even hit it. It ran off but not terribly quickly. 2 min after that from same direction comes in another doe eating but just out of range. Same one? Dunno, I don't see my arrow on the ground but the leaves cover everything. Two mornings in a row proves this spot rocks. I will report back on the deer when I get down. Only staying till 8:30.

so you missed again. or this time actually Maybe hit a doe and leaving at 8:30?

so you missed again. or this time actually Maybe hit a doe and leaving at 8:30?

i don't think I missed but not positive. I was only staying out here originally until 8:30 am. At that point I will climb down. If I find my arrow I am going to only from now on shoot at deer within 3 yards or less. If I do not find my arrow I will email my boss and say I am not coming in until I find this deer (he hunts as well so will be fine with that). If the shot is bad I know I need to wait several hours before tracking and will consider going into work and cutting out early.

All know for sure is that finally I nailed the correct height on a shot.

Edited by Core