Cutting the cord for cable.

First-light

I wish we had a thumbs down button so I could thumb down the disallowance of a smart TV. Also 4k is a waste unless you're pushing 70+ inches from a very close range. From 10+ feet away the difference is basically indistinguishable

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What?

What?

I wanted to dislike the fact your husband said no to a smart TV. Then I was stating that you don't need a 4k TV unless you are getting a 70+ inch TV plus unless you sit 10 feet or closer to your TV you won't be able to tell the difference in picture quality

Even if you don't get a smart TV you can still hook up Roku, GoogleTV or something like that. My DVD player has options for Youtube, Netflix, Blockbuster....

If you have good fast internet you really don't need cable TV anymore, unless you want to watch a lot of live sports. Although, I think you can find a way to watch almost anything via the internet.

Edited by Otto
  • Like 4

Even if you don't get a smart TV you can still hook up Roku, GoogleTV or something like that. My DVD player has options for Youtube, Netflix, Blockbuster....

If you have good fast internet you really don't need cable TV anymore, unless you want to watch a lot of live sports. Although, I think you can find a way to watch almost anything via the internet.

You can watch all the live sports you want on the net. The picture quality isnt always top notch, but its better than paying $100 a month for cable or dicrectv

Well, if youre willing to pay $100 a month for a few hockey games, have at it. I watch my Sabres games, and its better than listening to them on the radio.

I might be willing to get the NHL subscription to stream via their App, but it does squat for watching in market teams. MSG has their App, but its only available for one particular cable service. Eventually normal cable will be dead and all of these networks will have their own Apps that youll be able to selectively subscribe to. Like HBO, etc has now.

• Like 1

Well, if youre willing to pay $100 a month for a few hockey games, have at it. I watch my Sabres games, and its better than listening to them on the radio.

I might be willing to get the NHL subscription to stream via their App, but it does squat for watching in market teams. MSG has their App, but its only available for one particular cable service. Eventually normal cable will be dead and all of these networks will have their own Apps that youll be able to selectively subscribe to. Like HBO, etc has now.

So far doing anything else rather  than watching the Sabres games would be better. Yawn, same old boring team. Betting we sign Emery by the end of the week.

I look at the DirecTV bill as another bill like gas, electric or necessities. We watch a lot of different channels and just bite the bullet on the bill. Could we survive without it, sure but we chose not to. We did cut back movie channels to only HBO from all of them last year. They run enough "free weekends" on the others so we'll load them up recording them.

My old Cablevision (TV+Internet) bill was $182.00 /mo

I bought:

• Three Roku 2 devices for each TV ($70 x 3 = $210)
  • DTV antenna $150.00 (Antenna + cables + install kit)

That's a $360 one time expense.

Then I subscribed to:

• Hulu subscription $7.99/mo
  • Sling subscription $20.00/mo 
  • Cablevision internet subscription $29.90/mo ($24.95 + $4.95 modem)

Now my monthly charges are $57.89 /mo

I am saving $124.00 /mo.  It took me three months to recoup the $360 initial outlay.

I would cut out Sling, but my wife insists on having Food Network, the Cooking Channel, and HGTV.

Exactly. HGTV is like THE wife channel. There are two reasons people don't generally get rid of cable/sat:

1) Sports

2) HGTV because of their wives

But now with sling you can't nix 2 and stream it legally :)

Exactly. HGTV is like THE wife channel. There are two reasons people don't generally get rid of cable/sat:

1) Sports

2) HGTV because of their wives

But now with sling you can't nix 2 and stream it legally :)

You bite your tongue! HGTV has some good shows and some of the girls are absolute smokeshows

You bite your tongue! HGTV has some good shows and some of the girls are absolute smokeshows

The girls like the one on Flip or Flop are there so when your wife wants to watch it you won't raise any complaints :)

So far doing anything else rather  than watching the Sabres games would be better. Yawn, same old boring team. Betting we sign Emery by the end of the week.

I look at the DirecTV bill as another bill like gas, electric or necessities. We watch a lot of different channels and just bite the bullet on the bill. Could we survive without it, sure but we chose not to. We did cut back movie channels to only HBO from all of them last year. They run enough "free weekends" on the others so we'll load them up recording them.

Same boring team? We must not be watching the same games lol. The opener was a great game, they may have won that game if it hadnt been for the closest offsides call Ive ever seen, which was done on a coaches challenge. Tampa? Really, you think they had a chance against them? They arent in that class yet, but its a completely different team. Alot more speed and intensity. I think people will end up surprised by the end of the season.

BTW, if you DVR the channels on the free weekends, anything you record becomes unplayable after the free weekend is up. I look at TV as something I can do without, and something Im just not willing to spend $100 to $150 a month for anymore.

• Like 1

Read a book. It's much better for your brain, and you're already paying for the library that has them.

Books and dvd's generally sell for about a buck each on ebay, with a $4 shipping charge. Most sellers will combine shipping though, so it's not difficult to get a dozen books or movies for about 16 bucks. The ones you don't want to keep can easily be 'gifted'.

Same boring team? We must not be watching the same games lol. The opener was a great game, they may have won that game if it hadnt been for the closest offsides call Ive ever seen, which was done on a coaches challenge. Tampa? Really, you think they had a chance against them? They arent in that class yet, but its a completely different team. Alot more speed and intensity. I think people will end up surprised by the end of the season.

BTW, if you DVR the channels on the free weekends, anything you record becomes unplayable after the free weekend is up. I look at TV as something I can do without, and something Im just not willing to spend $100 to $150 a month for anymore.

The opener was fun to watch but how many true scoring opportunities were there really ? No sitting on the edge of the chair and going " oh my "  Didn't know they implemented the coaches challenge until I saw it. Took awhile after the goal to challenge too.

Tampa, ya, thought we stood a chance. I'll still continue watching as they are only bound to get better once they mesh a little bit more. Need a goalie !!

Not true about recording "free weekends " of movie channels with our DirecTV at least on our system . Do it all the time.

The opener was fun to watch but how many true scoring opportunities were there really ? No sitting on the edge of the chair and going " oh my "  Didn't know they implemented the coaches challenge until I saw it. Took awhile after the goal to challenge too.

Tampa, ya, thought we stood a chance. I'll still continue watching as they are only bound to get better once they mesh a little bit more. Need a goalie !!

Not true about recording "free weekends " of movie channels with our DirecTV at least on our system . Do it all the time.

There were some really good chances in the third for them, just up until the coaches challenge, which brought the momentum to a grinding halt. I think the challenge thing is fine for goalie interference, etc, but think the offsides call stuff equates to a coaches challenge in baseball to determine if a pitch was a ball or strike. It sucks.

Huh, thats what used to happen when I had DTV. They must have changed it.