Otsego County Buck

Curmudgeon

I'm not sure of anything.

A biologist friend told me that the tiny antlers on bucks result from one of two things: the mother was bred the year she was born, or, the buck was born very late in the year. The thinking is that these bucks go into their first winter very small. If they survive, they out all their energy into growing body mass. If anyone has better information, I would like to see it.

This is one of two similar deer I have been photographing.

Reason I asked is we have had at least 2 doe here over the years with small "racks" all messed up..but one never lost hers...it was strange seeing a fawn nursing...must be something in the water..we have a couple of bearded hens running around as well :dontknow: ....the face looks long on that deer but being so close to the camera it could be just a distorted view.....

• Like 2

....and attached (I hope) is a picture of a little larger buck living less than 3 miles from davenport..... It's all about the groceries you have for them all year.....corn, beans. clover, a small apple orchard and lots of thick cover.....oh and don't shoot the little ones unless they are under 80 lbs cause they will not make it through the winter.

post-3618-0-72014900-1446085415_thumb.jp

Possibly a late born yearling or an early born fawn. I've read where early born doe fawns can actually breed in Dec/Jan, so wouldn't think it'd be out of the question that an early born buck fawn might gets mini spikes. Anyone know this for sure??

Got a similar video a couple weeks ago of one with 2" spike on one side and ~1" on other side. Didn't look like the size of a typical yearling, maybe a super sized fawn.

....and attached (I hope) is a picture of a little larger buck living less than 3 miles from davenport..... It's all about the groceries you have for them all year.....corn, beans. clover, a small apple orchard and lots of thick cover.....oh and don't shoot the little ones unless they are under 80 lbs cause they will not make it through the winter.

Berniez - My camera says Davenport but the photo was taken in northern Otsego County. I had a research site operating in Davenport last winter and failed to change the camera name. Sorry.

Possibly a late born yearling or an early born fawn. I've read where early born doe fawns can actually breed in Dec/Jan, so wouldn't think it'd be out of the question that an early born buck fawn might gets mini spikes. Anyone know this for sure??

Got a similar video a couple weeks ago of one with 2" spike on one side and ~1" on other side. Didn't look like the size of a typical yearling, maybe a super sized fawn.

This year I have some early born fawns that are almost the size of the yearling doe that's last years fawn from the same mother, and lost there spots end of august I'd say. But the male has boney nubs instead of fury ones like all the other button bucks I've ever seen. Curious if this last winter being so hard played a role in the fawns being born early this year. I'll dig up pictures of him and post them. But his nubs aren't as pointy/pronounced as the op's "buck", which after deductions wouldn't he score a zero!?? Haha