Will stomach shot be lethal?

marksman

Got on my tree stand around 4 pm today. Saw a teen buck around 6:15pm, it was already a little dark. But the buck was close enough. So I give it a shot. It ran away. Go check the arrow, it was all grass like stomach stuff, so I guess I got it on stomach. No blood on the arrow. Question: will the deer survive ? Any advice is appreciated. New hunter.

Might want to change your screen name, And no it wont survive, Give atleast 8 hours and go look for him, He will be dead some place most likely his first bed if you havent pushed him, Wounded deer dont like to go up hills and with a gut shot id check near any water, 

• Like 6

That is a fatal shot every time if you got stomach. Stomach will take roughly 8 hours so hopefully you did not push it after the shot. If it was not pushed, it is often within 200 yards. Go back tomorrow to search for body. Google search will give you alot of information on various shots. Best of luck. 

Let it go for a minimum of 8 hours before trying to track it. It is always a fatal shot. It just takes time for it to die. If not bumped hopefully it will bed within a short distance.Blood will be spotty at first to almost nothing after fat plugs the hole. Good luck.

• Like 1

Everyone is spot on!  What 100% of the time it is lethal.  Any living animal cannot survive this.  The deer will actually die from Septicemia - blood poisoning from bacteria.  If you hit stomach it will take 6-8 hours minimum.  If you hit intestines it will take even longer, up to 12 or so.

It is absolutely crucial you didn't push the deer.  Once again, as the veterans above have stated, the deer will usually bed within 150 yards of impact and die in that exact bed if not pushed.  If you have water around when you search make sure to look there.  Deer will always crave water with this trauma as they will get an incredible fever and feel the need to drink. 

Edited by Taylormike

Assuming you were hunting in Suffolk County, as your profile states- why were you taking a shot so long after sunset? You state "it was already a little dark" apparently you shot under poor conditions and past legal hunting time. Hopefully you find the deer. Be discreet next time.

• Like 3

Might want to change your screen name, And no it wont survive, Give atleast 8 hours and go look for him, He will be dead some place most likely his first bed if you havent pushed him, Wounded deer dont like to go up hills and with a gut shot id check near any water,

Good advice, however they will and do go uphill sometimes. I've seen it many times.

• Like 1

Did you by chance happen to smell your arrow a stomach hit some time has a foul smell, that would if nothing else tell you where your hit was.as everyone else has already said go home and let it lie down start tomorrow walking in circles and looking under dead falls or near water

• Like 1

Hope you find him. Would be a shame if he goes to waste due to your negligence. But it's not the first time you've posted illegal activity on this forum.

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19429-report-for-Rocky-Point-Long-Island-10-26-2013

If you can't find that buck, if I were you, I'd rip up that buck tag and call it a season. Instead, spend some time reading the regulations and practicing your shots.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 2

I hope you give that deer the respect he deserves and search for him for hours and hours as he is dead and died a slow death because of your poor shot selection.  I would also seriousely reconsider if I should be hunting any longer if I were you until I developed the self-restraint to wait for ethical shots

1st off a member asked for advice and he's call out. Hey the member stated facts as he was the one there, he doesn't need the keyboard army on him. Answers to your question is yes he will die. go out 1st thing today and look for hair where the impact was the lighter the hair the lower you hit him. Some times even with best of shots deer run a bit. Start at the spot you shot him draw a straight line where you seen LAST seen him. 2 things to look for along the way Blood or matter when he jumps small logs and ditches. With this type of shot he may or may not give a good trail to follow. Look at belly hight for sign on brush or trees. Follow the trail out 100-300 yds look for beds with dark blood spot, make some circles within the area. if you walk up on him and he is in a bed his eyes will be open if dead, closed if in shock. Watch for Crows, you can find him. Everyone makes errors and your not the 1st to make it, don't be fooled by talk. Let us know and good luck

• Like 12