Budget Xbow worth it?

ApexerER

I am very interested in getting a Xbow. My problem is it seems like a very large investment for a two week season. I have fired a few of the cheaper ones $399 or less and was not very impressed with them. I don't remember the models I tried unfortunately. I can only get out on weekends and a lot of those weekends are only Sundays. So a huge investment for two days of hunting doesn't make a lot of sense to me when I can just use my bow. Does anyone have a lower end model Xbow that didn't break the bank that they love? Would I be better off seeing if the law changes and then dropping some money on a much better one?

I have a PSE Fang...$350.00. I, like you, was not about to drop a big chunk of change on a weapon that would see little use and it seems fine, to early to tell if I love it. I've only shot to 30 yards and that's pretty much as far as I care to shoot and could see the noise of the thing being a problem with farther shots. I had to dump another $175 on a scope as the one it comes with is an absolute POS as is the quiver, but I take that off to shoot. The thing does get very good reviews......with that being said, I would have probably been better off spending more on a better package right off the bat. The guys I shot next to at the range at more expensive ones and they were far from quiet as well. I actually went in looking to spend about twice what I did and the guy suggested the Fang, told him I didn't need the best, but certainly didn't want the worst either. Oh, and another thing I learned after, is that a milled rail is what you really want, this has a molded one which is what keeps the price down. I think these things are fairly new to NY dealers so they are still in the learning phase as well.

Edited by jjb4900

I have a Barnett Raptor, $350 or so. Got bad shoulders, so when they passed the law, I went and bought it. Didn't want to drop a lot of money if I could only use it a couple weeks. And I wasn't sure if I would even like it. Well, I do like it. Not love it. And it is fun to shoot, and very accurate out to my hunting range of 30 yards. But the scope that came with it is garbage. It is very loud and the plastic bolt retaining spring broke the first time I shot it, a Barnett thing. So perhaps after full inclusion I will upgrade. But for now it is ok, and I will be hunting with it the next few days. Hoping to kill a deer.

• Like 1

I have a Barnett Raptor, $350 or so. Got bad shoulders, so when they passed the law, I went and bought it. Didn't want to drop a lot of money if I could only use it a couple weeks. And I wasn't sure if I would even like it. Well, I do like it. Not love it. And it is fun to shoot, and very accurate out to my hunting range of 30 yards. But the scope that came with it is garbage. It is very loud and the plastic bolt retaining spring broke the first time I shot it, a Barnett thing. So perhaps after full inclusion I will upgrade. But for now it is ok, and I will be hunting with it the next few days. Hoping to kill a deer.

yeah, don't let the add ons sell you on one.......I expect to see the used market flooded with cheaper xbows if they get full inclusion and guys really get into it, But I've pissed away a few hundred bucks on lesser things so no great loss if I decide I really like it and want to upgrade.

• Like 1

I thought you could use a crossbow during the regular gun season?

Crossbows may be used during the following seasons:

• Crossbows may be used to take bear during the early bear season, early muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone, regular firearms seasons in the Northern and Southern Zones, and the late muzzleloader season in the Southern Zone.
  • Crossbows may be used to take deer during:
    • early and late muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone and late muzzleloader season in the Southern Zone using Bow/Muzz tags, DMPs, DMAP tags, or an unfilled Regular Big Game tag (late season only);
    • regular firearms seasons using a Regular Big Game tag, DMPs, or DMAP tags.

Source:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

A cheap Xbow inherently comes with a cheap scope, which will be very disappointing! Do the math.... the cost of a cheap Xbow plus the cost of an add-on scope is about the same as a low end, much better quality Xbow/scope pkg. IE; Wicked Ridge and others.

".....I hear a crossbow is good out to 100 yards....."

Hope you're being sarcastic, that's a huge misconception!!! Most Xbow scopes only have a 50yrd (max) dot/X-hair and there's a reason for that!! With a 50yrd shot, you can actually see the bolt arcing thru the air for what seems like seconds. So, take that for what it's worth..!

Again, hopefully...The DEC will come to their senses and allow full inclusion of Xbows in the early bow seasons within the next couple of years. Esp if next year they allow ML in the SZ early bow season in those over-populated areas! TOO logical...?

post-5805-0-71495900-1446919396_thumb.jp Last season $250 Barnett Recruit package, stock arrow and sight (3-dot red/green), 125 grain blackout (Bass-Pro) mechanical broadhead. 59 yard shot, 40 yard run after hit thru heart. I was thinking of getting the Raptor and using the Recruit for backup, but I am leaning towards just adding another Recruit. I only got 8" of arrow penetration at that range (the Raptor's extra 30 fps would help a bit there) so I am limiting myself to 50 yards max this season. I picked up a range finder to help make sure. My Recruit with factory sight holds a consistent 3" group from a rest in calm conditions at 50 yards. The only way I would consider forking over more dough is if they make them legal for all of archery season. 2 weeks for $250 is good for me, especially since it includes the peak of the rut. Edited by wolc123

attachicon.gif263.jpg Last season $250 Barnett Recruit package, stock arrow and sight (3-dot red/green), 125 grain blackout (Bass-Pro) mechanical broadhead. 59 yard shot, 40 yard run after hit thru heart. I was thinking of getting the Raptor and using the Recruit for backup, but I am leaning towards just adding another Recruit. I only got 8" of arrow penetration at that range (the Raptor's extra 30 fps would help a bit there) so I am limiting myself to 50 yards max this season. I picked up a range finder to help make sure. My Recruit with factory sight holds a consistent 3" group from a rest in calm conditions at 50 yards. The only way I would consider forking over more dough is if they make them legal for all of archery season. 2 weeks for $250 is good for me, especially since it includes the peak of the rut.

Picture post count total = 256

Belo, have you ever heard the phrase: "if you can't beat them join them". You may want to think about that. I just heard today about another former "anti" who got himself a crossbow and loves it. You are standing on a sinking ship son. It may be a coincidence, but he recently stuck a 12 point in the shoulder blade (and lost it) with his regular bow.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

and there in lies the rub,  people thinking crossbows are the "Cure all" for poor shots. 

if you hit them directly in the shoulder blade it probably doesn't matter if its a longbow, recurve, compound or crossbow, chances are pretty high you will not recover the deer.

people think that just because they have a scoped crossbow they can shoot deer at 60 yards. while they may get lucky and kill one making it common practice will likely result in more wounded and lost than shot and recovered.  there are plenty of unrecovered deer shot with a crossbow every year where crossbows are legal, they are NOT a cure all to poor shooting, shot selection and shot placement.

• Like 1

It is reasonable to assume that better shot placement could be achieved from a scoped crossbow, fired from a rest, than from a vertical bow.  Better shot placement should decrease the odds of a wounded deer.  My experience has indicated that even an entry-level crossbow has far more penetration than a mid-level compound.  That is why special targets are needed with crossbows, they blast right thru most standard archery targets.   Better penetration might help a bit if the shoulder blade is struck.    Because the crossbow is newly legal in NY, you might want to check out some Ohio, or other forums to get more accurate info from those with far more experience.  

Most of what we find here is desperate "thrashing" coming from that small minority of selfish, elitist bowhunters doing their darndest to stop the inevitable, FULL INCLUSION IN ARCHERY SEASON.  They don't want to share their woods or their deer with people who lack the time, strength, or ability to develop proficiency with a regular bow.   They have drawn a hard line in the sand and refuse to back down.   They are mostly young, tough, strong guys.   Why should women, children, elderly, and physically disabled people be able to hunt their deer?  

When they get old enough, or stick and loose enough deer with their verticals, they may come around.   I honestly don't hate these people but I do hate their selfish actions of trying to keep the crossbow out.   I hate it more every time I read of someone sticking and loosing another deer with their regular bow.  How many did we hear about on here today?   Any yet with a crossbow?   I know it will likely happen to me someday, but I will continue to work as hard as I can to keep my current 100% hit kill and recover record going with my $250 crossbow package. 

Did the sky fall in Ohio or any of the other states which have allowed full inclusion of the crossbow in archery season?        

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

It is reasonable to assume that better shot placement could be achieved from a scoped crossbow, fired from a rest, than from a vertical bow.  Better shot placement should decrease the odds of a wounded deer.  My experience has indicated that even an entry-level crossbow has far more penetration than a mid-level compound.  That is why special targets are needed with crossbows, they blast right thru most standard archery targets.   Better penetration might help a bit if the shoulder blade is struck.    Because the crossbow is newly legal in NY, you might want to check out some Ohio, or other forums to get more accurate info from those with far more experience.  

your "experience"  from what 1 deer that you clearly were LUCKY to get, in your own words you had not practiced at that distance simply guessed at whereto hold for the shot and luckily the bolt had just enough energy to penetrate enough to kill the deer. 

FYI I do quite a bit of hunting in PA which went to full inclusion a number of years ago, have quite a few customers from NJ,PA, and Ohio where crossbows are legal, people do wound deer with them, people do shoot ridiculous distances with them because they "think" i can shoot a target at 60 yards so I can shoot a deer at 60 yards... targets don't move like a deer.  just as with vertical hunters not all hits and not recovered are not reported.

Most of what we find here is desperate "thrashing" coming from that small minority of selfish, elitist bowhunters doing their darndest to stop the inevitable, FULL INCLUSION IN ARCHERY SEASON.  They don't want to share their woods or their deer with people who lack the time, strength, or ability to develop proficiency with a regular bow.   They have drawn a hard line in the sand and refuse to back down.   They are mostly young, tough, strong guys.   Why should women, children, elderly, and physically disabled people be able to hunt their deer?  

the small minority of selfish elitists seem to be those that want the inclusion.  bow hunters don't want to share their woods, or their deer? get over yourself,  lack of time? make time its not like its a full time job to practice, I would bet that just 10-15 minutes a day for a few months and you would be efficient enough to consistently kill deer at 20 yards or less, and become a proficient hunter and you don't need to shoot deer over 20 yards.  lacking strength, 45 lbs out of a conventional bow is more than adequate to kill just about any whitetail with proper shot placement and a cut on contact broadhead.       The  way of today, people want to always make excuses and have everything handed to them without working for it.   young, tough, strong guys want to keep women, children, elderly and disabled from hunting "their" deer??  seriously you need to get off your high horse before you fall off and get hurt,

When they get old enough, or stick and loose enough deer with their verticals, they may come around.   I honestly don't hate these people but I do hate their selfish actions of trying to keep the crossbow out.   I hate it more every time I read of someone sticking and loosing another deer with their regular bow.  How many did we hear about on here today?   Any yet with a crossbow?   I know it will likely happen to me someday, but I will continue to work as hard as I can to keep my current 100% hit kill and recover record going with my $250 crossbow package. 

old enough or loose enough deer with "their" verticals they may come around?? so now who sounds like the elitist?

so you think the fact that a VERY small percentage of people that went out with a crossbow on the first day of the legal use of said tool and no one posted a hit and lost deer is proof of a fix all? with the dribble you type why do I not find it surprising. keep taking those 59 yard shots and hits and losses will happen, question is will you be man enough to admit it?

Did the sky fall in Ohio or any of the other states which have allowed full inclusion of the crossbow in archery season?     

obviously it didn't,  as I am sure it wont in NY when it becomes full inclusion. doesn't matter to me as I will use my vertical bow until I physically can't, I want and accept that challenge, just as I do with using it during firearm season and using a flintlock during muzzleloader season.

• Like 3

Belo, have you ever heard the phrase: "if you can't beat them join them". You may want to think about that. I just heard today about another former "anti" who got himself a crossbow and loves it. You are standing on a sinking ship son. It may be a coincidence, but he recently stuck a 12 point in the shoulder blade (and lost it) with his regular bow.

I'm done with you. You hump your crossbow more than I've ever seen anyone slurp anything. And your whole reason for it? One shot that was guided by Jesus.

I'll hunt how I want, can you just for the love of God stop posting the same freaking picture and quit talking about your Jesus arrow if I leave you alone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing that up Belo.  It is always nice to have other some other folks shine the light on Jesus where it belongs.   We cant talk about Him is school or at work but there is no limit here.  That sure is refreshing in today's "politically-correct" society.  This seems to be a "target-rich" environment where we could use all the reminders we can get.   Good luck with your vertical bow and I will pray that He also guides your arrow to the right spot, giving you a clean kill.   Please post it when you get it, as many times as you like.     Maybe refresh your avatar so we can see it 5440 times. 

Edited by wolc123

Well we got a little off topic here and I am not sure if I really got an answer. It sounds like the cheap packages will work as I figured they would. But would it be worth it to double the budget to $600-$700 and wait a year or two. I guess I am going to take a long hard look at them in the off season and make a decision....

It all depends. I bought a Barnett when PA first allowed crossbows, it was pure junk, was in Florida with Barnett getting fixed more than it was in my posession. After a couple years of this, I threw it out, didn't have the consience to sell it to anyone.

I bought a Horton next, and it's been working great for 6 + years, only repair I ever made was replacing the string.

Both are economy crossbows. I know Horton is now owned by Ten Point and is their middle-of-the-road offering. I would probably buy a Wicked Ridge crossbow if I was in the market for a new one, I can't see spending $1,000 or more for a crossbow.

Edited by Uncle Nicky