What is the kill range of a crossbow?

First-light

Thanks Culv, bet you can tack on 20 yards these days.

It was bench shooting. I would bet in a true hunting situation it might still be pretty close. I can imagine in the cocked position those babies are pretty hard to lean up against a tree to steady yourself. the string is at an angle all the way back to the trigger area. Take an average hunter with a shotgun and put hi off hand and I bet a lot would have a hard time laying in a paper plate at 75 off hand.

Being able to hit a target and being able to kill a deer are 2 different things.  I might be able to hit a paper plate at 400 yards with a pellet gun, but would it kill a deer?  Crossbow bolts loose their KE much quicker than longer heavier arrows.  The safe kill range for all crossbows is still under 35 yds. Most people keep their shots under 30.  I know some bow hunters who shoot out to 60 yds +.  Well beyond the effective KE for most bows and arrows. Just because you can hit a deer at that range doesn't mean you can kill it.

I think that range changes a bit when you drop down the legs of the bi-pod and shoot prone or sitting with your back against a tree. It's not exactly bench rested, but it is awfully close.

Maybe there's some reason why it's not as easy as it sounds, but I'll bet those bipods are not put on there just for decoration.

Also, I don't see why there would be any problems with doing like I do with my shotgun. I simply provide horizontal gun rests in my ground blinds Works good with the shotgun, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a crossbow.

Being able to hit a target and being able to kill a deer are 2 different things.  I might be able to hit a paper plate at 400 yards with a pellet gun, but would it kill a deer?  Crossbow bolts loose their KE much quicker than longer heavier arrows.  The safe kill range for all crossbows is still under 35 yds. Most people keep their shots under 30.  I know some bow hunters who shoot out to 60 yds +.  Well beyond the effective KE for most bows and arrows. Just because you can hit a deer at that range doesn't mean you can kill it.

Thanks-good info!

How much KE do you believe is required to take a deer? From what i have seen the bolts are at a higher Gr/inch than arrows. If the broad heads are comparable as well as the fletchings I hae seen them be damn near the same weight as what most shoot in the compounds. If the speed is similiar and the weight is the same the KE would be the same. I am not a big fan of long range shooting but I think you are really underesting the effective range of both weapons

How much KE do you believe is required to take a deer? From what i have seen the bolts are at a higher Gr/inch than arrows. If the broad heads are comparable as well as the fletchings I hae seen them be damn near the same weight as what most shoot in the compounds. If the speed is similiar and the weight is the same the KE would be the same. I am not a big fan of long range shooting but I think you are really underesting the effective range of both weapons

I know of people who have killed deer with 35# compounds. And back in the olden times, a 45# recurve was considered adequate to do the job. With the kinds of poundages we are talking, I doubt that either bow or crossbow would have a problem with enough energy at 100 yards. I'm sure we will be finding out because there's no doubt that some people will try it.

A crossbow has the same range as a compound bow a 150lbs crossbow =a 50 lbs draw compound. most crossbows are around 250lbs pull or about a 65lbs compound. I've see a bow hunter consistantly hit a 5in circle at 80 yards. and a crossbow shooter miss consistantly at 40yrds, its practice people!! a 7mm mag might be capable of killing a deer at 500yrds but can the person pulling the trigger do it?  I've watched newbies shoot a crossbow and watched the bolt drop 4 feet or more at 50 yrds. Yes there are stronger crossbows out there but there are stronger bows out there as well.

Hmmmmmmmm . The article is saying that a compound is better than a crossbow and even better if used with a Draw-Loc . That is part of the Drawloc's advertisement . They sure aren't going to promote Crossbows if that would hinder their sales .               

Well i work back and forth to Ohio, and have met several hunters who use the bow and/or crossbow the ones that use both prefer the compoundbow for the added range and quietness, they tell me that crossbows when the went legal there flew off the shelves but now you can pick em up cheap second hand seems the 100yrd shot didn't pan out for the guys that though bow hunting would be easy and most guys that have them use both depending on the habitat/time they have to hunt. Just what i've been told..

I know of people who have killed deer with 35# compounds. And back in the olden times, a 45# recurve was considered adequate to do the job. With the kinds of poundages we are talking, I doubt that either bow or crossbow would have a problem with enough energy at 100 yards. I'm sure we will be finding out because there's no doubt that some people will try it.

Taylor Drury killed a nice buck with her Bow ( PSE Chaos) and it was set at 30 lbs...

Not to stir the pot on this, did any one catch the show last night where the guy shot a Antelope at 96 yards free hand with his cross bow? It was on the Wildgame Inovations show and Craig Morgan was the guest who did it. He made a good shot and the thing only ran about 50 yards and keeled over.

I wouldn't think anyone could really know the affective yardage for all crossbows...i think the affective part comes from the individual... I can shoot my 60# recurve with cedar arrows accurately to about 30 yards... but I would only take a shot in the field from 20 and in...I have shot the recurve at novelty targets 100 yards at shoots with pretty good results.. but I'd be damned if I'd shoot at a deer that far

I've seen tom knapp shoot 10 claybirds before they hit the ground , doesn't mean i want to try it or have the skill to do it... same goes for long range shots with bow/ xbow/ rifle...there are exceptions to every rule...

I don't think a country musician is on the same level as a trick shooter like Tom Knapp but I get what you are saying. It just surprised me that he would take such a long shot and that he also made it was something.

The effective kill-range of any bow resides in the person holding/shooting it.  It ain't the bow gentlemen/ladies... it's the indian.  :D

You are SOOOOOO WRONG!!!! DOn't you read the other threads....Indians can't shoot and aren't true hunters...lol ;) ;) ;)

DAMN...  :'( I guess my senility kicked in again.  I gotta' stop doing that.  LOL.