Thoughts On Bucks In Trail cam Pics.......

Lawdwaz

I had a discussion with my buddy during archery season this year about the size of bucks in my trail cam pics and videos and how big or little they'd be when reduced to bag. 

I think that some of the better bucks I get on the trail cams would "score" higher than they appear on the computer screen when I view them.  He thinks that they seem to be bigger on the cams than they'd be "in the dirt".

So, for those of you that have killed big bucks that you previously had on cameras, did they grow or shrink when you got your hands on them?

They typically shrink in my opinion. What you could swear was a 120" suddenly becomes 100"... I've never really seen one become much bigger than anticipated. Often times we let our excitement get the best of us but that's what its all about! I don't care what score they are anyways. You want scores?, watch football. Its all about the experience! My .02...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You want scores?, watch football. Its all about the experience! My .02...

I like scores in racks too.  I have had a few pretty good experiences in my time while hunting but walking up to a 140" buck is right up there.  Not the top but not too shabby.

You've killed some pretty good bucks I assume?

I like scores in racks too. I have had a few pretty good experiences in my time while hunting but walking up to a 140" buck is right up there. Not the top but not too shabby.

You've killed some pretty good bucks I assume?

I've killed good bucks for the public land I hunt, you certainly won't see me featured in any hunting magazines with my deer but I'm proud of them. In my opinion if you can get a 3.5 yr old deer on public land you're doing good. Don't get me wrong I like racks as much as the next guy but I think people get too hung up on score, too many TV shows preaching scores. It turns it into a competition and that turns people into poaching, cheating etc... If my 3.5 yr old buck scores 95" that's fine by me, if he tops 120" then I'm thrilled! Age class is important to me, not necessarily inches...

• Like 1

I've killed good bucks for the public land I hunt, you certainly won't see me featured in any hunting magazines with my deer but I'm proud of them. In my opinion if you can get a 3.5 yr old deer on public land you're doing good. Don't get me wrong I like racks as much as the next guy but I think people get too hung up on score, too many TV shows preaching scores. It turns it into a competition and that turns people into poaching, cheating etc... If my 3.5 yr old buck scores 95" that's fine by me, if he tops 120" then I'm thrilled! Age class is important to me, not necessarily inches...

So I'd guess from that that if you shot a 140" buck you wouldn't score it?

Kudos to you for sticking to your standards.

So I'd guess from that that if you shot a 140" buck you wouldn't score it?

Kudos to you for sticking to your standards.

I've never had a deer officially scored, no. If I shot a 140" buck its a beautiful buck and knowing the score wouldn't make me any more proud of him than if I didn't know it. The only time scores mean something to me is when someone tells me about a big buck, to some people an 80" is big, others its 130", so its a number that can describe the relative size of a rack without physically seeing it... I'm in no way against scoring bucks, it just doesn't rate very high on my priority list.

I think that some of the better bucks I get on the trail cams would "score" higher than they appear on the computer screen when I view them.  He thinks that they seem to be bigger on the cams than they'd be "in the dirt".

Without taking their body size into consideration, yeah I can see where this over/under guess-timating could happen when trying to field judge from a photo/video! This isn't a phenomenon that's exclusive to scoring from photos, happens from the stand also!!

Hypothetically - If you were able to have the exact same rack on a 2-3yo, 150/160# buck, wouldn't it appear much bigger than on a 5-6yo, 190/200# brute?

It depends greatly on the persons personal experience viewing cam pics verses real rack size values. It would be fun to spin off this thread with people posting cam pics of deer they have harvested, had officially measured; to answer your original question.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 2

I was going to pull my cameras but I think I will leave them out to see what survived the hunting season .

Heck yes!

I had some terrific pics of bucks that made it through the 2014 hunting season, tough winter, spring, summer and this fall only to disappear after the 1st of November.  UGGH!

It sure adds another fun as heck thing to do in the winter.

maybe you guys can help here... always thought this guy was spindly and probably 2.5.. but i finally put out a flash cam this year and he looks a bit nicer than all of the IR pics i get of him... just showing the difference i see between flash/color pics and IR pics.. either way he still got the pass from me atleast til next year..

You guys agree with 2.5 yr old?

post-5238-0-88833200-1450452955_thumb.jp

post-5238-0-49065200-1450453053_thumb.jp

exactly, here is another pic.. either way. i wasn't sure of his age so he got the slip this year. the color pic makes me think 3.5, but for his sake, i'm sticking with 2.5...

I actually have 2 bucks that look like this. both "should be 8's " but no brow tines on either... torn between 2.5 and 3.5 on both

post-5238-0-80019600-1450458532_thumb.jp

Agreed. Not much AG here though,we have a couple corn and soybean fields within a couple square miles is all.. but we do have a lot of food plots around though.

maybe ill go through last years pics and look for some of him, not sure if i have any or not. i like saving pics of every buck i get, even at 1.5, to try and find or make history with the bucks roaming our hills.