sitting for long hours

maytom

I have to admit, I hate the seats that come with turkey vests. After sitting for several hours, several mornings in a row, my tailbone gets pretty sore even when sitting on that seat cushion.

I have since went to a turkey chair, and have found that these work wonders for your sitting ability for long waits. Tried this approach a couple of season ago, and haven't looked back since.

Now at 61 going on 62, this is the only way for me to sit. To get an idea what they look like check out Midwest supply on page 14. The chair I'm referring too is very similar to the Primos Wingman or Browning Strutter. I like this style better than the ALPs chair in the upper left hand corner because of the leg set-up. Seems there is always tree roots around most set-up trees, and this type of chair seems easier to maneuver around them.

As I get older, it seems like EVERYTHING I try to do is more difficult, including sitting on the ground without moving.

In the last 5 years or so, I've gone more and more to .using pop up blinds. I can sit inside one on a stool or small chair in relative comfort, and I don't have to worry nearly as much about  getting caught moving when I need to shift my weight or stretch a leg.

I'm less mobile, but I no longer cover the ground that I used to when I was a strapping young lad of 45 or 50...

As I get older, it seems like EVERYTHING I try to do is more difficult, including sitting on the ground without moving.

In the last 5 years or so, I've gone more and more to .using pop up blinds. I can sit inside one on a stool or small chair in relative comfort, and I don't have to worry nearly as much about  getting caught moving when I need to shift my weight or stretch a leg.

I'm less mobile, but I no longer cover the ground that I used to when I was a strapping young lad of 45 or 50...

Ohhhhhh so much to look forward to!

• Like 1

Yeah, Larry, my Mom warned me about it.

She said that " The Golden Years" is a misnomer...They are actually the RUSTY years...

Of course my Mom also told me that if I didn't quit "that" I'd go blind.. I decided to wait until I needed glasses.

• Like 2

I like to sit right on the ground. I like the thick foam type cushions. I use a carabiner to hook it to my belt. Pretty comfy but I rarely sit for more than an hour or so.

I went to the metal dump a few weeks ago to get rid of some crap. Someone had tossed out an almost new seat. The seat is about 18"x10" with woven nylon strips for your a$$ to sit on. It has an aluminum frame and sits about 6" off the ground. Someone tossed it for a reason. My guess is that when you sit on it the stubby little legs just push into the ground so far that your butt is sitting on the ground anyway.    What the hell? I tossed it in the back of my truck . I'll try it.

Probably some old turkey hunter croaked and his widow threw out his seat along with the rest of his "junk"..

Hope your new seat works for you.

You might be right…A few times I have found good tools just tossed out. Like someone died and the family just got rid of the stuff, while cleaning out the house.

Probably some old turkey hunter croaked and his widow threw out his seat along with the rest of his "junk"..

Hope your new seat works for you.

Or she caught the old codger sniffing around.......who knows??

:)

I bet if the dump diver went back and looked a little closer he may find the dudes shotgun, vest, high end shells.  He musta' had a heck of a "box" call.

OK, I better go to bed before I get in trouble here......................... :) 

• Like 2

I made a couple of these...perfect because they work in my ground blinds(brush) and I sling them over my shoulder with a strap...I get stiff so the arm rest give me the support I need to stand up ;)

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/4234-turkey-chair/

The guys here had a sling seat they talked about and I'm making one of those...work in progress...If a padded seat for tree sitting now is needed...I go through pillows a lot ...and throw nothing away. So I take old used pillows and fold then tape them in place and stuff them into a stretchy 30gal garbage bag(they do not make a bunch of noise) this I put in a old pillow case or a old med. dog bed cover.....you wont feel any roots or cold through that..  

Above all that....... I've taken several turkey from my one person chair blind and I'm assured not to get wet in a pop-up shower.

Used a  strut seat for years. It has a woven canvas seat portion and 2 sets of 3 " collapsible legs and a carry strap. Have spent many hours using this. I bought a Cabela's gobbler lounger I believe it's called for my daughter. Wanted her to be comfy for when she tags along. This thing is the nuts. I have used it a few times myself last year. You only sit a few inches off the ground but with the added comfort of back support. She used it in our deer blind this past fall too.

• Like 1

Recently i started using a chair..my back and butt can't take those long sits...i had an ameristep lounger first but the quality wasnt good didn't hold up..then i got a browning strutter..its heavier but its awesome i can sit all day and be comfortable.. Wouldn't go turkey hunting without it now..

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN

I've never sat longer than an hour, kudos to you if you can and want to sit that long!

I've always roosted birds, got in close and if the cooperate I'm done in 45 min tops, if not I go back Home and try again the next day, figure no reason educate them, it's a long season. And I have plowing and planting to do so can't waste a day sitting for hours.

• Like 1

Even when I called I never sat for more than an hr after fly down. After that I was on my feet trying to close the distance, did I bump birds yes, did I see more birds and have more chances absolutely. I don't know how you guys have that kind of patience to sit for hrs waiting on a bird to come to you.

Edited by Buckmaster7600