What really irritates you when your hunting ?

fasteddie

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOEWHACKER..I BELIEVE I DID NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT FAT AND LAZY..STEVE IS OBVIOUSLY IGNORANT AGAINST DISABILITY. AND LIKE I SAID, THOSE OPPOSED CAN GIVE UP THE LOVE OF HUNTING FOR A RECLINER WHILE I GET INTO THE VACANT SPOT ON MY 4 WHEELER!

I really think you are missing something here, NO one ever said if you are disabled then don't hunt not even steve.

[ Guys lets get real for most of you who don't use ATV's you probably hunt State land or someone's elses property who don't allow the use of atv's. Maybe if you had your own property you would use them. Remember not all hunters have the land to even use an atv. If you have only 5-20 acres then you probably walk in that makes sense. But if you have 500 acres to hunt and your stand is at the furthest part of the property an atv makes sense. Maybe you don't want to spring for the atv when you have to lay out the big bucks you think twice. And it's cheaper to walk.

Dave

No it has nothing to do with cost or any other reason other than I do not need one, never have never will, we hunt a very steep mountain that is as remote as you can get and still do not need to race up the side to get to our spot. Wait a minute weren't saying that you don't see as many deer as you used to in another thread? Could it be related to the use of your ATV?

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with passion.  I have enough common sense to know when enough is enough and simply come to a decision that hunting is no longer something I would be able to do.  Sooner or later everyone faces their limitations in many facets of life.  If I can't hunt, I will take up other hobbies that I CAN do.  I will not burden others with my inabilities.  Those who think they couldn't live without hunting obviously have not experienced much else.  Lots of other things can be enjoyable as well.

Sure are! :)

Matter of fact I enjoy fishing, nature photography, hiking, mountain biking, camping, bird watching, shed hunting, scouting, cam-trapping,..... ;)

If you cant pass a physical ..is that ethically in the  best interest of our hunting community..if getting around is your disadvantage there are controlled enviroments out there..

As long as I am on private land that is under my control....I will drag myself out if I have to. 4 wheelers are used on my property to retreive deer, clear trails, and hang stands. I hae used one this past bow season to get 75% of the way back in at home for the evening hunt. It made the difference in getting in the last half hour or not. I have driven right by deer in the fields and since they aren't harrassed by the wheelers they stand there and look at me. The land owner rides his wheelers all year long and the deer don't seem to mind. My leased property is different...they see it ...they bolt. I think it does have a lot to do with conditioning....I hear shots at night all summer long at camp so I think that contrubutes.

You can drive up to the pond and catch a fish...thats why its called  fishing..this is huntingny.com son..you must be lost..what.are you using a compass or somthing..i will say this..if you moved from hunter to teacher..id gladly rickshaw your ass around on my postage stamp..with its easy to cross revines..ditches..creeks..and springs..

Joe- I got 100 acres that says you cant cross it in 10. :)  I'd bet the farm on it.....(not my farm, but a farm none the less)

A 100 acre square is 10acres by 10 acres 10 acres would be about 2000 feet.. I think I can walk 2000 feet in 10 minutes.. and if it was a rectangle I would just walk the short side.. ;)  I own 6 acres.. approx 150x1600

I can walk it the long way in 5 minutes.. i could use another farm to hunt

NYantler I don't understand all your complaining about ATV's. If I had just 6 acres (150x1600) I wouldn't need an atv.

Dave

I think if it is known if  you are using an atv..you are a low no account...thats my take. :) I have been known as worse. I see nothing wrong with using it. Almost like saying "why the hell are these guys using boats to fish" Seriously..thats what you guys are implying and my mind can not be changed.

Thats not even remotely the same thing but I understand your opinion and have no problem with what you do on your own property.

[ Guys lets get real for most of you who don't use ATV's you probably hunt State land or someone's elses property who don't allow the use of atv's. Maybe if you had your own property you would use them. Remember not all hunters have the land to even use an atv. If you have only 5-20 acres then you probably walk in that makes sense. But if you have 500 acres to hunt and your stand is at the furthest part of the property an atv makes sense. Maybe you don't want to spring for the atv when you have to lay out the big bucks you think twice. And it's cheaper to walk.

Dave

No it has nothing to do with cost or any other reason other than I do not need one, never have never will, we hunt a very steep mountain that is as remote as you can get and still do not need to race up the side to get to our spot. Wait a minute weren't saying that you don't see as many deer as you used to in another thread? Could it be related to the use of your ATV?

Doe, yes I did say that we are seeing less deer but it has nothing to do with the ATV's The deer season is long and my observation is based on observations before, during and after deer season. Though I do use an atv, I don't use it during bow season or while small game hunting.

Dave

I bought an ATV almost 2 years ago . I have used to to haul the chain saw , cutters , etc prior to hunting season . I have yet to use it to go to a stand . I have come across deer during the summer while riding and had them watch . Stopped to take pics and a couple started walking toward me . When I inched foreward they took off .

My sister in laws neighbor uses a garden tractor to get to his stand . He rides it about 600+ yards down through his horse pasture lots to his stand which is a converted horse trailer with a heater , etc . The man has Fibromyalgia which is a muscular ailment ( pain , joint stiffness , etc ) and this is his means to get to his hunting spot . He usually gets a deer each gun season . When he gets one , he drives the lawn tractor back to the barn and gets the big tractor with the bucket .

as far as species bothering me....racoons crapping on the platforms of my stand...and those furry little wood spiders making thier sticky cacoons in every nook and crany...eventually crawling on you.

Thing that irratiates me about hunters....hearing shots so fast you knw there is no possible way they could be aiming well.

tree stand theives - have had 2 stolen and one ruined over the years

trespassers - especially the ones who walk right by posted signs

Litterers - I pick up some every time out

owners of dogs running deer on my property - not the dogs fault I was ready to shoot the neighbor

people who target shoot on state land with no backstop towards where you are set up - this just amazes me cause it has happened a few times. Some people are extremely stupid.

mosquitos - again cause they are worthless and if I am lucky enough to get to heaven my first question will be, besides where is the bar?, why mosquitos?