Any Sardine Lovers ?

Pygmy

Anybody ever the opportunity to try FRESH sardines ?

From what I have read they are excellent fried or grilled.. I  would love to try them.

I sure do like fried smelt.  I also canned up a bunch of smelt one time in spaghetti sauce, and they were very good.

Anybody ever the opportunity to try FRESH sardines ?

From what I have read they are excellent fried or grilled.. I  would love to try them.

I sure do like fried smelt.  I also canned up a bunch of smelt one time in spaghetti sauce, and they were very good.

I have, grilled...a little too "hang in your throat" boney for my liking, but pretty tasty otherwise. Fried Smelt where much better.

Edited by jjb4900

LOVE Sardines. paired up with a very good Limburger cheese and a spicy mustard. mmmmmmmmmm

Also a huge anchovies fan.  white pizza with anchovies and artichoke hearts. 

I love Limburger, onion and spicy mustard on a cracker.. And anchovy on pizza is awesome.. I don't get to eat them much because the wife and kids complain about the smell. They have no idea what they're missing..

growalot, on 19 Feb 2016 - 6:15 PM, said:

Love melt....guys use to go mating a lot in years past.

Yeah Growie...I used to go mating a lot in years past too ..Unfortunately, like smelting, THOSE days are over...<<sigh>>...

What is "love melt"....Sounds kinda kinky....<< big wide SMILE >>...

• Like 5

After working outside on summer weekends, it was common for my dad to set down in the evening, break-up a slice of bread into a coffee cup, pour in a half cup of milk, and open a can of sardines. Alternating between a bite sardine and a spoon of bread and milk, he was a happy man. He occasionally shared a sardine or two with me and I'd have my cup of bread and milk as well. I thought it was okay then and 2 or 3 times a year I'll do the same even how.

In fact I just put sardines on my grocery list. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 4